Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 161560 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Great articles Rob.

Here's another doom and gloom report:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/17/D8H1S3OO0.html

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2006, 01:17 PM »
If we suddenly went 'cold turkey' on Gas powered Autos what would happen to all the American auto making companys? This world today seems to be about High priced gas sucking SUV's and many other types of autos that folks want to be 'different'..or because they're cool. I could totally see the automakers taking a huge blow initially if we suddenly had to convert to a boring same-as-everybody else alternate fuel vehicle-not to mention production would have to catch up to the demand for these vehicles if we quit..the oil. Sure they could catch up but I def. don't think it would be a smooth conversion.I wonder if that scenario would effect the US/world economy at all ::).  I believe there is technology today to have Gas vehicles that(even v8's) get a ton of MPG. They'll never be produced however, since it would hurt auto sales and Gas demands and oil company profits. Such is the world the way it is now..like Dressel says..and we just have to deal with it 'cause there's nothing we can do about it :(.   
The American automobile industry is going to be in a world of hurt if they don't start producing more and better alternative fuel vehicles.  If we don't, someone else, i.e. the Japanese, will.  Just think how much better the auto industry would be doing today if Ford and/or GM had developed the first reliable, mass-market hybrid cars instead of letting Honda and Toyota do it.  Gas-electric hybrids don't make up the majority of American automobile purchases yet, but that segment of the industry is growing rapidly and right now foreign automakers are reaping the lion's share of the profits.

The market for hydrogen fuel cell cars would be a lot different though because even if US buyers want them (and I'm one who does), they won't sell well because there are only a handful of places in this country to purchase fuel.  Until we build a hydrogen fueling station infrastructure, no one is going to buy such cars.  The good thing about that is that it gives the US automakers time to develop really good designs for these vehicles and to bring them to market in such a way as to lock out foreign competition.  It probably won't happen though and people will be driving Honda & Toyota hydrogen cars long before Ford or Chevy decides they'd better start playing catch-up.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2006, 03:11 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1841989&page=1

I'm neither Republican or Democrat, but I will occasionally listen to that fat, drug-addicted pig Rush Limbaugh, especially when news like this hits the media. 

Today, his show was defending the retirement package of the Exxon CEO.  And of course, all of his callers were calling in to back up his comments. 

Sometimes it is more funny to listen to Rush & their Repubs dismiss the obvious problems in the world.  This is what the Republic must have been like before the Clones Wars.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I'm .02 cents shy of $3 in my town.  It has gone up .50 cents in 3 weeks. >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 17, 2006, 06:46 PM »
I don't consider myself to be a democrat even though I leave left 4 out of every 5 times.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2006, 07:37 AM »
I hit $3 a gallon as of this morning. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2006, 09:06 AM »
Ouch.  It's too early for that ****.  It's going to be a LONG summer...we're at $2.65 here in Iowa.

I commute 120 miles a day - I'm going to have to cut back on SW to compensate for the hike in gas prices...plus there's another little one on the way...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2006, 09:26 AM »
I'm curious, is the reason why that the economy took such a hit in the 70's because people couldn't charge their way out of it? I ask because i'm wondering what the threashold is that will start to cause people to noticably start cutting back.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2006, 09:30 AM »
Prices are up about .40 cents/gallon in the past 2 weeks here in upstate NY.  $3 a gallon at present.

That's one hefty hike for a short period of time.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 18, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I'm curious, is the reason why that the economy took such a hit in the 70's because people couldn't charge their way out of it? I ask because i'm wondering what the threashold is that will start to cause people to noticably start cutting back.

You've hit the nail on the head.  The economy is still doing well because of credit.  And the fact that most households are double incomes - back in the 70's, the number of stay at home parents was a lot larger.

And the answer to your question is $4.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:52 AM by ruiner »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #386 on: April 18, 2006, 09:54 AM »
I filled up last night on the way from from the grocery store - $2.579 per gallon. 

It's about $2.65+ at most of the other stations, I guess I just lucked into a "cheap" one.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 18, 2006, 12:55 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head.  The economy is still doing well because of credit.  And the fact that most households are double incomes - back in the 70's, the number of stay at home parents was a lot larger.

Meanwhile  our national debt is going to hit 9 Trillion Dollars in a year or however long.

Our government is being run on a credit card where the card-hodlers set the limit.  This is getting dangerous.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 18, 2006, 01:07 PM »
I don't know which of the two evils is worse - a recession or a debt-ridden society.

???

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 18, 2006, 02:29 PM »
$2.95 here in the desert in SoCal