Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 162315 times)

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #540 on: May 2, 2006, 01:19 PM »
I paid $3.45 yesterday for our CA water-downed premium.  Put $20 bucks in, and got under six gallons worth of gas.  
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 2, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I'm glad I'm don't use the premium stuff.  I ended up only getting half a tank about 7 gallons for $20.  I'm hoping these prices go down soon but doubt it since the summer months are usually higher then winter rates. 

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 2, 2006, 05:20 PM »
$2.73-2.79 here for 87 Octane gas
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 2, 2006, 09:29 PM »
Wow, that's a steal for NJ - we're at $2.79 in Iowa.

Not really.  NJ doesn't have the taxes on gas that NY does, if you subtract the taxes from the NY price, the NJ price is actually a little higher than the $3.01/gallon it is here in my hood in NY.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that when you pay for gas.  NY is never going to get rid of that gas tax.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 3, 2006, 06:52 AM »
$2.73-2.79 here for 87 Octane gas

Damn, that's a steal!!!  A few hours north on 35 and we are right around $3 a gallon.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 3, 2006, 09:40 AM »
Question, kind of related. Are the problems the gas companies crying about any different than the problems that the steel companies were crying about back in the early 60's? Anyone remember? The steel companies were banding together and getting ready to raise rates due to supply issues until Kennedy stepped in and forced them to hold steady. Kennedy knew raising rates would kill the economy while the steel industry claimed they would go out of business. Well, the steel industry just had to take a profit hit, but they're still around.

Actually, the US steel industry isn't what it was.  It took a major hit in the 70's, especially in western PA and the midwest.  Now the US is having to compete mightily with Japanese steel.  There was actually quite the trade dispute about it for a while, with the US claiming that the Japanese were trying to flood the US market with Japanese steel.

Well, sure (I'm from eastern PA near Bethlehem) but don't think that hit was the result of Kennedy putting the kabosh on rate hikes because until the 70's, the US didn't have to compete.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, Johnson allowed the rate hikes.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2006, 09:52 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #546 on: May 3, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Actually, the US steel industry isn't what it was.  It took a major hit in the 70's, especially in western PA and the midwest.  Now the US is having to compete mightily with Japanese steel.  There was actually quite the trade dispute about it for a while, with the US claiming that the Japanese were trying to flood the US market with Japanese steel.

While the steel industry took a hit, it didn't die by a long shot...  The industry had to deal with foreign competition for the first time like Anton mentioned, and that forced an overinflated industry with a chokehold to deal with something it hadn't up till that point...  It shut down a lot of various steel companies, forced others into combining, but it didn't spell doom for steel like history books sometime say.  My home town still has two operational specialty steel mills in it, there is one of the nation's larger plants up the river in another town, and further down the Allegheny is the Allegheny Technologies headquarters plant...

That's just some of the plants in Western PA, which are still considered the top employers for the region.  There's others...  Others still simply moved to areas that would cost less to produce, but kept them in the U.S.  The mills aren't one in every town in the area out near Pittsburgh anymore and that's the visible sign of the hit the industry did take, but they're still plentiful, and U.S. Steel is still a strong industry despite what competition they were forced to deal with.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 4, 2006, 02:31 AM »
Two gas stations by me.  Both across from each other.  One is charging $3.15 the other $3.24.  Guess which one is busy? 

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 10, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I don't drive. So none of this appeals to me. :P
Yo is what yo is.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 10, 2006, 10:46 PM »
The station on my road has been steadily decreasing.  Last time I filled up a couple of weeks ago it was at 2.85.   Dropped into the 2.70's last week and today I noticed it at 2.65.

Would talk more, but my wife just crawled into bed and told me that if I didn't shut the computer off and quit talking to the geeks she would take the whipped cream back downstairs.  Need to find out what that means. .. ..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 10:48 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 10, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Would talk more, but my wife just crawled into bed and told me that if I didn't shut the computer off and quit talking to the geeks she would take the whipped cream back downstairs.  Need to find out what that means. .. ..

Let us know, would you?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 10, 2006, 11:55 PM »
Pics?  Video?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #552 on: May 11, 2006, 01:41 AM »
Oh, sundaes...  That's a good idea.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2006, 07:06 AM »

Let us know, would you?

Kevin

Pics? Video?

Bunch of geeks ::)  Why don't you get off the computer and try it for yourselves :P

;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2006, 07:21 AM »
Nah.  Girls have cooties.

We're sitting at $1.109/L today.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 07:22 AM by JesseVader08 »