Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 160984 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 12:02 AM »
Oy! Gas prices here in The Mediocre State of New York have risen, due to the removal of an additive, that was supposed to help fuel burn cleaner, but traces were found in the ground water, so that was removed.

Kevin
Good ole MTBE.  Yep, just cuz you can find it means it's bad.  Trust the government ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 12:56 AM »
gas here in NorCal, is $1.75.. That is alot, i remember about 2 years ago after the sad tragic of 9/11, gas was .99 at one point.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2004, 02:48 PM »
$1.75? Not in my part of Northern California. Typically over $2 for the cheap stuff, and a $1.90s in a station here and there.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2004, 07:48 PM »
really, woah!!! that is a lot, for gas over $2 for the cheap stuff!!!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: March 4, 2004, 10:37 PM »
This makes me sick.   >:(

No wonder I've been so pissed with these insane gas prices around here in California.  They're tops in the nation - by a lot!   >:(  So while Fatty B.'s only paying about $1.57 a gallon out there in Oklahoma, my ass is paying $2.18 a gallon around here.  Actually, $2.18 is far cheaper than most of the gas stations around me.  Haven't seen anything anywhere below $2.10 in a good couple weeks.  That blows.

At least the local retail stores are helping the cause by not stocking any new Star Wars stuff in almost a couple months now.  No need to go searching anywhere 'round here.  Dry as a bone, just like my f*ck!ng gas tank!   >:(

Not that I'm bitter, or anything...   ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 5, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Gas up here went up again! From 72.5 cents a litre to 76.9.  >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 11:42 AM »
For the first time I can remember, gas broke $2 a gallon for no apparant reason this week.  Its been slowly climbing here since last year from $1.30 a gallon...

The thing that torques me the most about the whole gas price thing is the stations are making hardly anything on the gas.  They make their money on Joe Sixpack buying a pack of smokes and Mountain Dew in the store.  Most of that money goes right to the Oil Companies who are all making record profits year after year

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 11:55 AM »
The gas here went up agan last night.  >:(
From 76.9 to 88.5.   Thats 16 cents in 7 days!

Out in British Columbia, gas is around 98.5 depending on the location.

From our Sun paper:

Thanks to rising gas prices which shot up yesterday to posted record amounts of 88.5 cents a litre in Edmonton - showing someone you care costs more. "At this point our (flower) delivery price has gone up $1 per delivery," said Shannon Stormes, a floral designer at Boonie Doon Flowers. "Definitely because of the fuel prices."

The flower shop's delivery charge went up on Saturday to $10 from the previous $9, after city gas prices hit 82.5 cents per litre last week, she said.

Gasoline analyst Michael Ervin, president of MJ Ervin and Associates in Calgary, said the increase is due to several factors bumping up the price of wholesale gas. One factor is the price of crude oil going up, which yesterday hit $39.75 US per barrel for West Texas Intermediate.

"The more important factor relates to very tight supply, very tight inventory of wholesale gasoline right now," said Ervin. "When supply is tight the prices are up."

Ervin said there are still not enough refineries to meet demand. "There's just too much demand and refineries cannot keep up with that demand nor can they do anything in the short term to increase their infrastructure to meet the demand for the summer."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 11:58 AM »
I paid $1.989 per gallon this morning.

Ugh.

My wife had to pay $2.059 to buy gas yesterday.

I am convinced that it's a conspiracy that will bring the price of gasoline to $2.25 per gallon by Memorial Day weekend.

I'm just waiting for USPS and UPS to raise their prices siting rising fuel cost as the reason.  Of course, you'll note that when fuel costs come down, UPS never lowers the prices back.

Jeff

ps
Why do they put that little 9 on the end of the price?  
So they can charge a bit more without rounding up?
Anyone know why they do that?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2004, 12:28 PM »
Actually its the opposite, back in the early days of competing neighborhood service stations, one competitor thought he would attract customers by charging 1/10th of a penny less than the guy across the street  

Back then with the price of gas being a lot higher (inflation wise) a 1/10th of a cent was a significant price break.  

The other thing though is that the price changes by a cent or so each time, this gives the station selling the gas a larger window in which they can sell the gas and make a larger profit instead of lowering it by the 1/10th of a cent.  The stations buy on the 1/10th of a cent at $2.021 or something but you will be paying $2.039 and they could go to 2.029 the next day and 2.019 the next and still only lose a few fractions of a cent instead of slowing lowering the price 2.039...2.038...2.036 etc

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Thank goodness I don't drive a gas-guzzler.  Gas prices are outrageous.  Let me ask you guys, how much does it cost to fill up?  For me, it's about $20.   :(    
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004, 12:51 PM »
My Camry around $30 and I can usually get 22-25 MPG...the Saturn $20-$25 and that baby goes for a good 400 miles on 14 gallons
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 12:51 PM by OCB »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004, 12:58 PM »
Cost me $27 yesterday to fill up yesterday (and I was almost completely empty).  $1.95 a gallon for regular unleaded.  Another gas station in town, right off I-95 was $2.12 a gallon :o I don't think I've ever paid over $2 a gallon in Massachusetts.  I expect that to end soon.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2004, 02:21 PM »
For my Le Baron, it's about $20 now with the higher prices, though I've not had to fill up on my week off school between semesters.

For my Thunderbird, it takes premium...  I couldn't even tell you right now what it'd cost since I'm not driving it right now, but it'd be pretty outrageous.  It's a SuperCoupe so I have little choice but to go with the recommended fuel.  It's unhealthy for it otherwise.

Fortunately that's just a toy, and one I'm likely to sell anyway, so I'm not filling it.

My girlfriend's got a small SUV...  A Toyota I believe, of some sort, and it doesn't cost entirely too much to fill it (comparatively), but she's not one to go all over the place either so she's not running it out a lot.  Her work's like 15 or 10 minutes away too.

Where I'm hosed is that I drive my LeBaron 39 miles a day, one way, to school...  I do that two or three days a week.  Needless to say I don't make little piddlying trips around here then unless I have a  need to.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2004, 02:30 PM »
Actually its the opposite, back in the early days ...

Huh.  Very interesting to see where that originated.  I always wondered that.

Anyway, my Saturn also costs around $20-25 to fill and gives me about 350 miles.  Very good about the gas milage.  My wife also drives a Saturn, but her's is smaller/older so she only goes $15-20 per fill and gets 275-325 per tank.

On our road trip west last fall (driving my car), I was pulling 35-38 MPG off my Saturn by just setting the cruise at 65 MPH and watching the scenery pass.  It was crazy to pull off almost 500 miles on a tank of 14 gallons!  I was totally taken by the fact that I could get to 350 mils and still have 1/4 tank left to go.

I certainly don't get that with my 7 mile, stop-light filled drive to and from work every day.  I usually average 20-24 MPG in the city (like driving to work).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender