Author Topic: Recons Tips  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Recons Tips
« on: December 30, 2002, 02:45 PM »
1) What to collect

It is your collection. Collect what you like.

2)Condition

If your collection is based on condition look for items that fit in. Don't jump on every thing just to have it.

3) Patience

There is alot of this stuff out there. Wait until you find what you want, condition and price.

4) Don't by into hype

Never collect just because someone else has it.  If you like it buy it if not pass on it.

5)  Treat others with respect

People in this hobby have very long memories. Treat them well and you will be treated the same.

6)  Learn
    Learn about what you collect reguardless of what it is. If you don't know something ask.

7)  Thrill of the Hunt

Seeking out new finds is a  thrill and all the new people you meet along the way is great.

8) Golden rule
   send me all your extra stuff...... JK

My golden rule is have fun

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re:Recons Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 04:03 PM »
Nice, I agree with all of that. All to many times have I purchased something new because it was new, and not in the condition or price range that I like.

Offline Guttersnipe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Tramampoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 05:19 AM »

Never collect just because someone else has it.  If you like it buy it if not pass on it.

I always find pleasure in buying stuff my friends don't have. That way I can always wave it around and taunt them with it. Although their philosophy is the same and we all wave our toys chanting na na na na na at each other ;)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 12:37 PM »
Regarding the thrill of the hunt...

With hunting out new friends and making new friends, that is a very cool thing and a lot of why people trade. You can never have enough good friends and international contacts.

I have always considered the hunt to be the search for figures and collectibles. You can't go in with preconceived notions or it's not fun. The thrill of being surprised is the best element.  While we all have favorites and figures we want, it's better to walk in with a blank slate and let the figures you want find you. I guess it would be the jedi approach to hunting in a way. Let the figures find you. You just have to put yourself in the right places. Nice little Treatise and I agree with most of those listed. I do think generosity and being hopelessly honest will also get you far in the game.

I have a rule that I think is one of being fair to others.  If you are lucky enough to find more than one rare figure or collectible, leave one behind for another person. Don't hoard or be too greedy. Spread the wealth. I know some are too good to pass up, but it is an honorable thing to do. Some may say stupid, but still honorable.  
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline commander apoc

• Jedi Initiate
  • Fine by me.....
    • View Profile
Re: Recons Tips
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2006, 06:28 PM »
Sorry, I don't have extra stuff.... I just don't have enough stuff yet........

Can you send me youre extra's instead? ;D
There can never be enough clones.....

Offline DTMAN

• Youngling
  • Looking? Found someone you have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Great rules.

Unfortunately, not all use these rules.
But it is in most collectibles, not only SW.

Thank you.
Hello.
If any questions, please PM me.
Thank you.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Actually, one of my Golden Rules of Collecting is, "If you see it, and want it, buy it!"

I have heard too many stories about people passing on figures initially, and then having a hard time finding them.  Years ago, I found the POTF2 wave with the Death Star Trooper and ReeYees in a little mom and pop store.  I figured, "if this store has them, they will be everywhere".  But being the SW nut I am, I bought the whole wave. Only later did I find out it was cancelled. 

I do, however, place patience high on the list of collector traits.  I look for figures in stores for about 6-8 months before I go to ANY kind of seconday market or toy dealer.  The truth is, most things show up sooner or later.  During Saga, I couldn't find a Mace Windu lollipop figure at all.  I really gave up.  One day, close to a year later, I was in a Duane Read drugstore, and there he was!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I agree with speedermike here. which leads me to having a disagreement with number 3 on the list, sarge.
My motto is..'when you wait,you're late' I find far to often for this to be the truth. It only took a couple times early in my collecting life for me to learn this the hard way. Sure, there is exceptions like stuff going on clearance later-but I find the case to weigh heavier on the side of possibility of missing out because 'I'll get it next time I'm in the store.....' then, come in the next day and bam, sold out with no reshipment.

DS 

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2007, 07:18 AM »
which leads me to having a disagreement with number 3 on the list, sarge.

Considering that he doesn't post on here anymore and that the post in question was made almost 4 years ago when figures and such would stick around for longer your disagreement really is in vain.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2007, 12:22 PM »
which leads me to having a disagreement with number 3 on the list, sarge.

Considering that he doesn't post on here anymore and that the post in question was made almost 4 years ago when figures and such would stick around for longer your disagreement really is in vain.

I was wondering how long that would take for someone to come in here and post a ...'it's been so long since they posted..ect statement'. I also figured it would be me that would get that kind of reply, too. So I wonder, then, why no statements of such were applied to Speedermike, DTMAN, commander apoc? They're statements were made 3+ years after but..not made in vain of course?!

::) DS