Author Topic: Batman Begins  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Batman Begins
« on: September 12, 2003, 01:27 AM »
Finally, WB makes a decent choice for Bruce Wayne/Batman:
http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=113

I'm not much for the comics (really haven't read any but the Hush arc) but I love the first two, maybe three movies. I'd like to see where this one goes, what with Christopher Nolan directing and co-writing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 09:50 AM by OCB »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Bale=Batman
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 01:57 AM »
Here's hoping for the best.  Bale is a magnificent actor, but I just hope that the Batman franchise takes a turn in the right direction.  I don't know, I was always fond of Michael Keaton as Batman.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 03:42 PM »
I agree on Keaton he did a great job with Batman

Any Batman would be better than no Batman.  I must have saw the 1989 one 10 times at the theater (along with Indy Last Crusade) that summer was an awesome Box Office Year...Back to the Future Part II...Ghostbusters II, Uncle Buck, Look Who's Talking, Field of Dreams, Major League, Star Trek V, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Dead Poets Society, Parenthood

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 04:26 PM »
Had to go over there just to see what the fella looked like, as I've never heard of him, and am completely unfamiliar with any of his prior film work.  So I guess at this point I can't comment any further than "handsome young fella"...

I'd have to say that Keaton was probably the best Batman so far as well.  Very stoic, detached, and mysterious demeanor seemed to set him apart from his predecessors, Val and George.

So, other than the first 4 movies, and the occasional old Batman reruns on the tube, I'm not too terribly familiar with the Batman franchise in general, and am curious as to what villains are left who might play a role in the next flick.  The only major one that comes to mind still is Scarecrow.  Is he on tap for this one, or are the villains yet to be announced?

On a related note, maybe I'm totally brainfarting on this, but who'd they wind up selecting, if anyone, to play the next Superman?  I recall a lot of drama and rumors floating around on this last year, but haven't heard much of anything about it since then...  What's up with that project and it's status?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 04:28 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 05:11 PM »
Had to go over there just to see what the fella looked like, as I've never heard of him, and am completely unfamiliar with any of his prior film work.

Me too! I had no idea ethier.

As for playing Batman, Michael Keaton was the best.  8)  Followed by these other chaps!

Michael Keaton.    Val Kilmar.  

George Clooney.   Adam West.

Christian Bale??
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 05:39 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 05:32 PM »
Adam West's nipples were REAL, baby. He's my favorite Batman so far. (Clooney's a close second.)
Post sober.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 06:40 PM »
I think I'm going to rent 'American Psycho' again and see this smarmy bastard in action. Doesn't hurt that it's one of my favorite movies that I haven't bothered to buy yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 10:33 PM »
Adam West's nipples were REAL, baby. He's my favorite Batman so far. (Clooney's a close second.)

Campy, but knew his place. :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 10:26 AM »
Adam West was good in the TV show version, but Michael Keaton was hands down the BEST Batman ever!  I never would have been able to imagine Michael Keaton being a bad-assss in ANY movie, but he did an awesome job in Batman!
dustrho

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 02:42 PM »
My favorite Batman will always be the Batman from the Batman Animated Series from the early 90's. Damn, I loved that show.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
Re: Filming starts on new 'Batman' movie!
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Well the filming of the new Batman has begun.

Filming starts on new 'Batman' movie

Batman Begins (2005) May Contain Spoiler!

Casting: Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne/Batman), Michael Caine (Alfred), Ken Watanabe (Ra's Al Ghul), Cillian Murphy (Jonathan Crane), Liam Neeson (Henri Ducard), Gary Oldman (Sgt. Jim Gordon), Katie Holmes (Rachel), Morgan Freeman (Lucias Fox), Larry Holden (Dist. Attourney Kitch)

Thoughts?

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2004, 07:00 PM »
Everything so far points to this being a winner. Christopher Nolan is the best asset. Insomnia and Memento were both fantastic movies. I'm expecting an X-men 2 level of character drama with a noir twist. Can't wait!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2004, 01:47 PM »
The icing on the cape: New Batman movie to hit screens summer 2005

Love this line:

You remember Batman don't you? He's the hero who ran off licking his wounds after the utterly disastrous "Batman and Robin" slammed into screens like a lead zeppelin and forced its cast members to repent in the less profitable but more stimulating waters of independent film.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2004, 02:54 PM »
Nice article, thanks DSJ.  Personally, I am really looking forward to this movie.  Batman has always been my favorite comic hero (along with the X-Men), and I hope that this movie lives up to expectations as much as possible.  The best thing about this is I think that DC, the actors, directors, etc. have learned from the past Batman movies.  They know what fans/people want to see, and what they don't.  I kind of like the fact that they are "restarting" the franchise, and I hope that it turns out to be done very well.  From what I have read of interviews of the people involved, they really want to make this a great film.

Also, I'm in the camp that thinks that Keaton is the best Batman of the film versions.  When I first heard he was playing Batman, I thought it was a strange choice, but I ended up really liking him in the role.  The 1989, first Batman, was my favorite of the movies.  I think they steadily declined from there.  I still do enjoy watching the old Adam West Batman on TV Land every so often though, sure its silly, but really that is what it was supposed to be to some extent.  I remember watching the reruns a lot as I was growing up.  Anyways, best of luck to all involved on this film, I hope the new "Batman Begins" can give this franchise a fresh start and we can see more of Bats on the big screen.

Also...from that article, DC really has been missing the boat so far on the "comic" movie surge of the past couple of years.  It seems like Marvel has really been taking the reigns on this so far.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I am not to thrilled about this upcoming, Batman film! >:(
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)