Author Topic: Same Body, Different Heads  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Same Body, Different Heads
« on: April 4, 2003, 02:26 PM »

Hasbro recently told Rebelscum that this scenario is the only way we would get such tertiary background characters as the above Faytonni and Ak-Med Beq.  While this isn't the greatest sign in the line's health IMO there are some instances where I would perfectly fine with them doing it...

Rebel Pilots (New Heads with Deco'd Helmets)
Ewoks (Two different size bodies with different cowels and paint apps)
Astromechs
Protocal Droids
Imperial Officers

Etc etc...

What do you think of this trend?

I was fine with figures like R2-Q5 and K-3PO which were straight repaints.  If this is what it takes to get some of the background of the background, I'm all for it!

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Same Body, Different Heads
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2003, 02:38 PM »
Well I would be happy with the idea if they stayed with the troop builder type figs.  Like you mentioned the pilots, imperials and so forth would be fine with the same body but differnt heads.  The heads are the biggest thing for me when doing dioramas and so forth.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2003, 02:49 PM »
Not to get all semantic on you, Scott, but it's a little early to be calling this a trend, isn't it? Manufacturers are always looking for a way to keep costs low while still delivering a product consumers will like.

That said, I'm all for this practice. Droids make perfect sense since all they require are repainted bodies. Other characters like Imperials and Rebel pilots would be fine so long as the bodies provide enough articulation so that these aren't obviously the same figures with different heads. (Add Bespin Guards to your list, too.)

Heck, I'd be happy if Hasbro just made it easier to swap heads and hands, but then the line would be geared for kids 12 & up due to choking hazard restrictions. Not that I'd mind.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2003, 02:43 AM »
Well, if this is what it takes (sharing a same body) to get some of these obscure background characters made into figures, then I'm pretty much all for it.  I am curious to see what the exact outfits of these two actually were in AOTC, as I don't recall at the moment.  If they were indeed wearing the same uniform, than by all means make one nice sculpt of it, slap their unique noggins (and hands) on it, and get them out there to the collecting community!

If they actually wore different outfits in AOTC, well...  the nitpicky freak in me would admittedly be rather disappointed with the lack of authenticity.  But I'd still realize that this was likely the only method by which we would ever receive these figures, so I wouldn't complain too much.  At least I'd have the accurate heads to use for some decent customs if need be...

Now generally speaking, I must say that I've loved the idea of the head swaps on such figures as the RFT, IO, and Endor Rebel Trooper so far.  As long as the potential character(s) have similar uniforms/outfits (as these aforementioned examples obviously do), then it would serve Hasbro very well, along with us, to slap some different heads on the same very well sculpted body - hopefully nicely articulated to help further differentiate with various poses, and get several different figures out to us for nearly the price of one to manufacture.

Meanwhile, we get much needed variety for our armies, as well as other such great (background) characters such as Faytonni and Ak-Med Beq.  As already mentioned, simple repaints of many of the Astromech and Protocal Droids would serve a very similar purpose, to spice up our galaxy's various droids.  I'm sure we're all well aware of what an excellent idea this is, as is Hasbro who has finally started following it in recent years.

Obviously the ol' head swap job would work excellent on any Rebel Pilots, Tuniced Imperial Officers, Rebel Technicians, Naboo Guards/Security, Bespin Guards, etc...  I hope that Hasbro continues on with this trend, 'cause I'm all for it!  Especially if they're going to continue to put as incredible detail and likeness into the head sculpts as they have with these two show here.  Tonnika Sisters anyone...?   ;)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2003, 12:37 PM »
I like these two figures a lot.  I don't mind Hasbro using the same body sculpture and using different head sculpts.  It's all OK to me!
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2003, 02:45 PM »
If they had the same outfits, and were in basically the same position, then I'm fine with it. This works perfectly fine for these two guys, because that's all they had to differenciate them, their faces. I must say that Best looks good, cool looking charactor, same with Daniels, so I won't be complaining until I get the figures.

HOWEVER

With figures that arent the same build, did not wear exact same styled clothing, and were in different poses, then there is absolutely no way I'll be happy with the figures. I've heard rumors that the Dignitaries coming will share bodies, which is stupid, because they are clearly different sizes and wearing different styles of clothing (one is fat and short, other is tall and lanky, while there are a number of dignitaries, these two are the easiest to see so I'll assume they'd be the ones made into figures).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2003, 03:43 PM »
My personal hope is that Antilles and Dodonna don't get this treatment.  Different body types = unique figures in my eyes...

Another good example would be Ozzel and any normal sized Impy officer.  Ozzel's got a bit of a pot bellie and I'd like a unique Ozzel if we ever get one.

It would lend to diversity in customizing/army building too, as I'd want to make fat and thin Impy officers and such.

The 2 Nightclub patrons don't bother me a lot, but I hope they're not pre-posed...  It almost looks like they're articulated to stand, but still lean on a table if you want them.  To me, Ahmed Best and Anthony Daniels have similar enough body types (Especially in starched uniforms) to look fine by using the same body.

I'm hoping those are just  neutrally posed (or poseable) so I can make different republic officers...  The predecessors to the Empire's officers (even in uniform look).  Could make some neat custom fodder then and I'll definately buy multiples if that's the case!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 9, 2003, 03:59 PM »
I guess you could look at these like very, very nice customs :P

There is some ways that they could exploit this that actually has me a little tingly.  And if this pseudotrend were to continue, I'm all for it (excpet in the instances Jesse mentioned)

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 9, 2003, 06:37 PM »
these two will be a nice addition to the collection,even if they do just have different heads.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 01:23 PM »
I think it's okay. It's cheap. They should at least have some differing paint details too (Biker Scout, damaged droids) or lighter darker or different colored clothing altogether. With some this would not work or apply (no use doing a blast damaged Jek Porkins...).

I also like the idea of doing some limited versions (like McFarlain's Sports figures). While this would drive completists nuts, it makes the hobby more interesting and makes he hunt more worthwhile. Although finding anything worthwhile isn't happening in my area...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 05:36 PM »
I'm all for it.  Now  gimme some:

1.  Ewoks
2.  Astromech droids
3.  Rebel pilots (we already have a fat one anyway)
4.  Protocol droids
5.  Rebel & Imperial generic officers

and whatever else I left off.

Offline DarthDan

• Youngling
  • At last we will reveal ourselves to Hasbro...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2003, 09:47 PM »
How cool would it be if Hasbro produced a "make your own" character?

A couple generic bodies (jedi, troops, etc), along with arms, heads, legs, hands.

Maybe they have extra parts lying around they could just toss into a grab bag.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 08:14 PM »
A "build your own" character set would be very cool Dan!  That's an excellent idea with endless possibilities.  But unfortunately one that Hasbro would probably never do (though they should)...  But it's fun to dream anyways.   :)

...Or maybe it's just frustrating and aggravating to dream about neat ideas that Hasbro would never do...  Not sure.  :-\

Either way, good idea.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2003, 01:00 AM »
I reiterate that it would be AWESOME to see it used in certain instances...  

As was mentioned above, Ewoks...  I'd kill for Teebo to just get re-released over and over with a different deco and a new hood.  New weapons too of course, but that Teebo body is hands down the ULTIMATE Ewok body to use.

I saw a guy post pics of his custom Ewoks (with his custom catapult) and they utilized the Teebo body with unique heads...  They looked awesome.  :)  Hell, I'd buy a 10 pack of those bad boy fuzzballs.

But I also reiterate that this is a trend that can get out of hand, and I do NOT want Antilles and Dodonna sharing the same body...  Hasbro's whacky though, and anything is possible.  

They cut more corners than a company half their size does though, and as a consumer of theirs I find that somewhat offensive...  The sharing parts trend is too new to judge right now, but they've cut corners in areas that didn't necessarily save them money, but maybe saved them some time (Fleet Trooper's helmet for instance).  

I could see that theory of theirs carrying over into this new possibility we've stumbled upon.

But ironically, there's the Imperial Officer body sitting fallow, and we've yet to see Imperial Techs in the grey uniform cranked out en masse...  There's Motti's sculpt lying fallow as well, and yet it's not be reused when we'd likely buy those up for a multitude of reasons (Imperial Officer customs, here I come!)

Like I said, they're whacky.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77