Author Topic: Unmolested Original Trilogy on DVD  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Unmolested Original Trilogy on DVD
« on: December 10, 2002, 07:25 AM »
I've really been thinking about getting the "unofficial" non-Special Edition Original Trilogy DVD's lately... but several things are preventing me from just saying "what the hay" and buying them. If any of you own these "unofficial" DVD's, as I'm sure some of you do, could you sorta review them for me? I know RS has a huge thread about the "unofficial" DVDs, but it's about 4 billion pages long and most of it is people like me asking the same questions over and over... So, I'll ask some FAQ's about these "unofficial" DVDs and hope someone can help me out...

1) I've heard lots of complaints that the DVD's sound is not in-sync with the picture. Do you have this problem? Is the sound quality good or bad?

2) Describe the picture quality on the films, is it fuzzy or is it really nice looking like an official DVD would be, somewhere in between?

3) Will the DVD work on all of your DVD players? Will it work on your PS2?

4) Okay, be honest, after seeing the DVD's, are you glad bought them? Do you think they were worth the asking price (whatever price you paid)?

5) Anybody wanna sell their DVDs to me?  :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 07:31 AM by Brad Soldato (Angry Ewok) »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re:Unmolested Original Trilogy on DVD
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 10:51 AM »
#1 Yes the sound is off on ROTJ and a little bit on the end of ESB.  It is noticeable

#2 The picture quality is awesome, no complaints there

#3 Mine works fine on the PS2

#4 Yes and no...it is good because GL probably won't release the OT in its original form again on DVD, the trailers included are cool...the sound thing kind of bites that is the only thing.  But $20 shipped for 3 DVD's, you almost can't not buy them

#5 no ;)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Original Star Wars available again on DVD
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 01:59 PM »
Hurry before they are gone again.  I know alot of people, including myself have been waiting for these to be released again.  These are the originals and not SE.  Currently taking preorders at:

http://movie-shop.cjb.net

This link changes weekly so dont hesitate if interested.  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Original Star Wars available again on DVD
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 02:10 PM »
Has anyone here ordered from this company before?  I'm a little bit skeptical about ordering from a company like this, one that I've never heard of before.  I'm definitely interested in getting these, so I'd like to hear if anyone has bought these type of DVD's before and if they've shopped with this company before.
dustrho

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Chris, I order all the time from them.  Currently I am about 30 for 30.  I have ordered a ton of screeners as well as the SE of Star Wars over the past 2 years.  Free shipping and you receive product within about 10 days. Since this is a preorder, I have no idea on the lead time.  But it will be worth the wait.  Plus this could be the last time to get these in their original format.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 02:22 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 03:34 PM »
I ahve ordered from them a ton, the OT sets the SE OT sets, TTT Screener, a bunch of other stuff

You can check out this thread at RS for more details, 16 pages of mostly satisfied customers

http://forums.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000608;p=16

PS Their communication sucks but everything so far (except for the discs) has been very legit

Also about the OT discs, the sound is off on ESB by a millisecond or so which is very annoying and the sound screen is also off on ROTJ for the first 15 minutes or so.  The ANH disc is pretty much flawless though

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 03:56 PM »
I've always been curious about these DVDs as well, since reading about them originally over at the RS forums awhile back.  At the price ($10 per movie), not a bad substitute until Lucas gets around to releasing them actual versions.  Might have to go ahead and order this time, plus, if you get the Original versions, it will most likely be the only way we can get those particular versions of the movies anyways.  Anyone know where this company is based (U.S., overseas, etc.?)  Just curious.  By the way, thanks for posting this rebeltrader.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 04:01 PM »
Malaysia, these are highly illegal to make, grey area on their possession, they are transfered from laserdisc sets (which were available in Asia) to DVD

I also got some really sweet Jacket cases made by someone over at RS last year, they look identical to the PT ones only a darker gold color on the stripe.  The guys wife was in Graphic Design, she did those illegally as well :-*

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 04:39 PM »
Like Scott, I've ordered a bunch of stuff from these guys (although not as much as rebeltrader), and I've been very happy with them:

• Star Wars Trilogy (original)
  • Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition
  • Indiana Jones Trilogy
  • Schindler's List
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (screener) (several copies)

(And, also like Scott, I got a set of the "homemade" DVD covers from that guy--and they are quite handsome looking, as DVD covers go.)

Be prepared for your order to take a week or two (or three), since they're coming from Malaysia, but this is a very legit bootlegging operation (how's that for an oxymoron?).

Also about the OT discs, the sound is off on ESB by a millisecond or so which is very annoying and the sound screen is also off on ROTJ for the first 15 minutes or so.  The ANH disc is pretty much flawless though

Well, this new listing could be for totally new versions, though, which I believe I called for somewhere in that monstrous thread at Rebelscum a long time ago.  

Not even considering the lip-sync issue, those old discs were taken from the "Definitive Collection" laserdiscs (1993), and while they were relatively great for extras, the 1995 THX remastered lasers are much better--and in fact, the '95 lasers are still the best looking versions of the original trilogy you can get today (sad, isn't it?).

Hopefully, what the bootleggers have done, is made totally new discs, transferred from the '95 lasers, for the best possible picture and sound.  This would clear up the lip-sync issue, too.  If they could add the extras from the Definitive Collection lasers (things like all the old trailers--like the Revenge of the Jedi trailer featuring Luke with a blue lightsaber on the skiff)--that would be gravy.

But, this all remains to be seen.  I'll wait for the word to come in from whoever gets these first, and if they're "new", I'm game.  If they're the same as the ones from last year, forget about it.

Still, it's good to see that they've got the originals back up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 04:43 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 04:47 PM »
I'd get 'em if I had a credit card...  :-[

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2003, 04:48 PM »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing Matt, if these are of better quality, you can kiss another $30 bye bye and I'll be all over these like a jackrabbit on a date

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 05:55 PM »
I picked up a set of these as well, pretty much the same day that 16 page thread first started over at RS long ago...  $30 for all 3 ORIGINAL versions (which includes shipping from Malaysia).  Not bad at all!  But I agree with Scott and Matt, that if they get an even better transfer on them this time around, I'll be going back in for another set.

I haven't bought anything else from them before aside from the OT, but I've never heard anything bad about them from anyone, despite numerous questions as to their legitimacy and customer service - as would be expected with a company of this nature.

So you guys should be in good hands if you want to give it a go with them...   If anyone does pick this set up, throw a review in here and let us know if the minor kinks from the prior sets have been worked out this time around.  Thanks!   :-*

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 06:38 PM »
I so wish I could get these but my parents will kill me if I have anything bootleg/illegal in they house.  They don't want the Feds to come and bust the front door down.   ;D

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 02:08 PM »
Yep, I was thrown in the big house after purchasing an illegal DVD.  Man it was hell.  I still have bad nightmares about the whole occurence.  The other inmates used to take their cigarettes and burn them into my skin out in the yard.  I won't tell you what they did to me in the showers (shudders).  Don't do it man, it ain't worth all the pain.  Just wait until they are released with Lucas' new extras.  

Just to be clear I was joking.  They did not really burn cigarette butts into my skin.  :)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2003, 03:04 PM »
Sweet mother!  I am all over these, thanks for the link rebeltrader!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire