Author Topic: Trilogy out on dvd 2004?  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Zedbadee

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Trilogy out on dvd 2004?
« on: September 17, 2003, 07:18 PM »
9/17/03

You know, it seems like we go through this about once a year. But, at the risk of inducing lots of eye rolling out there, here we go again. We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters. Also, Lucasfilm has said in the past that there aren't a lot of behind-the-scenes materials available for the original films, so having a single bonus disc of extras (as opposed to three) would make life easier for them. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Trilogy out on dvd 2004?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 07:21 PM »
Way ahead of ya' Z!   ;)  Virex actually pointed this out earlier this morning, right here in his DVD thread (as we noted on our main news page here at JD).  But thanks for the head's up though!  Always nice to see our community looking out for the major news scoops out there...   8)

This is great news, though I still want an officially sanctioned ORIGINAL version of the Trilogy as well!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 07:23 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 10:34 PM »
As far as behind the scenes material, there is the documentary "From Star Wars to Jedi".  It was on VHS, but never on DVD.  It focused primarily on ROTJ, as it was a pretty good behind the scenes look at that movie.

I can also imagine that there are some other materials available.  Also, there's the potential of interview segments with the various actors and filmmakers.

However, I think we're still doomed to relying on bootleg DVD's for the original theatrical versions of the Classic Trilogy.  While the completist in me would like that, I can understand why we don't have it.  With the exception of Han shooting first, the Special Editions are superior to the theatrical releases.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 10:46 PM »
With the exception of Han shooting first, the Special Editions are superior to the theatrical releases.

Lest you forget the revised segment where Luke screams like a little sissy girl as he lets go of the Bespin gantry pole, and falls down the core in front of Vader...

With that idiotic change, Luke went from a very heroic/Jedi-like character giving himself to the Force, to a scared little pansy who looks like he just accidentally let go and was frightened to death of dying!   >:(

Of course, Han's evolution into a Rebel hero is no longer as dramatic, since he's not such a ruthless scoundrel to begin with now.  So those two minor edits were two HUGE changes to the actual character of the two main male heroes in the Saga.  Very disappointing.

But I'll agree with you Nick, that for the most part, the SE's were better.  Still prefer the original non-CG Sy Snootles (sans Joh Yowza) singing the original Lapti Nek song as well...   :'(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 11:09 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 10:59 PM »
There is also a Creature Feature about the Aliens of Jabba's Palace that would also be a nice addition

There is a bootleg DVD out there which has all of this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3144436719&category=2475

Except for the Star Wars to Jedi Video that I think you are talking about Nick

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 11:19 PM »
I think most of that creature stuff is from "From Star Wars To Jedi".  There's a good deal from Jabba's palace in there.

I think there are also some bits of video that have been on the official site regarding the classic trilogy.  Those would be some decent add-ons, too.  I believe that there was also a fair ammount of extra material on one of the VHS editions of the Classic Trilogy that went into the Special Editions.  That could make it onto a 4th disc, as well.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 02:25 PM »
I really hope (like all of you), that this ends up being true.  I can't wait for the OT to finally be released on DVD.  I have the same complaints as you about the special editions as well.  It would be great if extras like "From Star Wars to Jedi" were included in the set, I loved watching that when I was a kid.  It used to be on TV around here from time to time.  I think it would be neat to see the old trailers and/or some deleted scenes as well...but who knows what we will end up getting.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 11:56 PM »
Well it would stand to reason that now that I have finally caved and ordered a bootleg, within a year we should have an official release ::)  But the SE's are fine.  Matt's comments notwithstanding (and excellent points they are), I had every intent of making my own version anyway, so this is most welcome news, if true.  

I'd probably change less than Matt would, but those two scenes would be from the original, no quicksdraw and no screaming like a baby on my versions.  I probably would leave the enhanced scene from Jabbas palace, but we'll see.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 10:39 PM »
From a marketing standpoint, it makes no sense right now to not have OT DVDs officially released. Episode I and II are already available, but I can pretty much guarantee there will be new versions of them lined up for the "Ultimate" edition of the Saga on DVD that we've been assured will come after Episode III.

So why not release a bare bones version of the OT to compliment the regular editions of the PT? Especially as has been described--a boxed set of all three movies (Special Edition verison) plus one disc of extra features.

Had VHS held up as a selling platform until 2005, this might not have been a necessary step. DVD is no longer the future, DVD is the here-and-now, if there is an OT DVD set, it will only be Lucasfilm acknowledging that fact.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 10:52 PM »
From a marketing standpoint, it makes no sense right now to not
Had VHS held up as a selling platform until 2005, this might not have been a necessary step. DVD is no longer the future, DVD is the here-and-now, if there is an OT DVD set, it will only be Lucasfilm acknowledging that fact.

Is that the same as getting Lucas to admit he made an error? :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 10:28 PM »
Well my order for the OT was just cancelled :'(  I knew I should have ordered it some time ago.  

The company is being very cool about it and apologetic, but I remain dissappointed.  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2003, 10:05 AM »
Well my order for the OT was just cancelled

Why was it canceled?  Did they run out of them or something?
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2003, 05:57 PM »
Not a specific reason.  More general along the lines of due to a problem with our manufacturer...  So I'm not really sure of what to call it.  I am sad and thoroughly kicking myself in the behind for not ordering them over a year ago.  Hopefully they will resurface.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 08:34 PM »
The guys over at the Force.net recently made mention of this again, saying a source of theirs is pretty sure it'll be happening.  My guess is that we'll get a decent version of the OT (S.E.) - not bare bones, but not the deluxe Saga set that will come after Ep. 3.  That'll tie into the Ep. 3 release hype and sell very well.

But then a while after Ep. 3 we're going to finally get the mother of all SW DVD boxsets - The Saga!  I think this is where some of those other rumored "Final Edition" changes will pop up that George has supposedly been doing.  This is where Lucas and his cronies will go all out, leaving nothing left to tinker with.

Of course we can only pray that such a set would include the original theatrical cuts of the OT, in addition to the suped up S.E.s from many years later.  It'll be interesting to see how much tinkering George is going to want to do to his "works in progress".  Only a year to go I'd bet, and we'll at least get a legal version of the OT, which should suffice for a while.  Can't wait.  LONG overdue!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 11:57 AM »
This is insanely overdue.  The sooner the better IMO.  Lucas probably needs to clear his schedule so we can see yet another pompous version of himself telling us about whatever and place it before the movie starts rolling.  Gotta have that in the DVD ya know.