Author Topic: Goodbye Collecting (for the most part at least)  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Collecting (for the most part at least)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 07:36 AM »
I pm'd you guys who contacted me regarding the situation.  For people that did not PM me, long story short we needed some quick cash for some medical expenses that have begun to pile up over the last 6-8 months.  I have unloaded 80% of everything.  I did start a running list of who wants what, if I get rid of my carded figs.  I went from 8 bookcases down to 2.   My wife is still in disbelief. One of the toughest decisions I have made recently, but at that same time a heavy weight has been lifted.  I will still continue to collect, but it will be  more selective.  Some day, I hope to revisit the army builiding thing (on an OT platfrom only).  I just need to concentrate on some family matters for the next 1-2 years.  Funny getting emails from some of you guys.  Funnier getting emails from all these people I have never heard of giving me sad stories of why they should get some of my stuff. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 07:55 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 01:09 AM »
I have gone back and forth over the last 2 years on this. This year my wife took me to out in April (bday month) and had me buy about $300 worth of stuff. Then I've just gone on from there.
What is different this year? I only buy 1 of most figures (did get 3 of the Shocktroopers for me) and I have passed on some figures and on all variants (unless I like them). I also have a collecting budget of $100 a month, that I can roll over, but when its done, its done, unless I talk with the boss and go over the budget and we cut something else out.  I'm at point where after the last 12, I will stop except for probably Commander Cody, and an occasional figure here and there. I've done the same with my beloved LOTR collecting. On the new Epic Waves am only getting the Aragorn, the Gondorian, the Orc and Skull, Eowyn, and I believe that is it.
I had a major realization about two weeks when I realized I was collecting for me, and not for my son. I started this out as something for us to do, and for us to have stuff to display and play with. Then because he was young, I had to seperate mine and his. Dumb. Even dumber is when I ensure I get what I want before he gets what he wants. When you place your collecting over the wants of your own child, that is wrong. Thus time for a reality check. So, now I buy for us, display in my office and I don't have to worry about losing cause we have a system that my 11 year old has down pat.
The other thing I think is that though I still buy what I want, it is not near what I have speant this year on either LOTR or SW. Moderation is the key, and not being selfish. I realized that is why I would buy extra's and help others. Because I wanted to feel like I was a good guy because in reality, I was a selfish jerk in putting my wants  above my son's. So, now he gets what he wants. I have taken him hunting, and he enjoys our time together, but now we hunt for what he and we want together.
Finally, I thought what is the purpose of collecting? To spend more time with my son because he is growing up WAY TO FAST! So I need to slow down and collecting in general takes a back door to ensuring that my son and daugther have ample time with me for a variety of activities, not just collecting, but things that interest them. Guess its that 40 years that make you reflective on what truly matters. I can see the day when I stop and walk away and say, that was fun and be done.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:47 PM by TheBlackDog65 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 08:41 AM »
I've also been going back and forth for a while over collecting. I've gotten a bit burned out, partly due to the amount of stuff out there, and also by my desire to own a home.  So for the most part I haven't bought any SW in a while.  I think I bought a two 3 packs last month and that was the first in a while.

My interest has also gone away recently due to my desire to work on other projects.  I've been building a custom TIE ugly and I've also been putting togethe piece by piece a DML USAF Security Forces figure.  I could just buy all of the parts quick and easy from one store, but then I'd loose the fun of searching for a good deal.

Mostly though, my interest has dropped due to the house.  My drive has been to get a credit card paid off, for the sake of the credit report, and to double my efforts on my future home.  I've sold some things, and others I've been debating getting rid off...both modern and vintage, but mostly modern.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.