Author Topic: To buy or not to buy...  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
To buy or not to buy...
« on: September 19, 2003, 02:01 AM »
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. There's a 2000 Jeep Wrangler at a local dealership. It's Solar Yellow, with a manual tranny and a soft top. It's the 4-cylinder engine, too. This thing is exactly what I've been looking for, and priced at $11550.  I'm thinking of trading in my 2000 Hyundai Elantra for it.

My questions: If there are any modern (1997-2003) Wrangler owners, how are things? What kind of problems are you facing with these?

Second, if there are any who know much about this topic: What is the fair market value of a 2000 Elantra with 63,000 miles on it?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: To buy or not to buy...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 09:04 AM »
No help on the Wrangler part...but if you are getting a bigger vehicle how much difference is a 6 cylinder versus the 4?  

And for your car's value...most dealers use this site for trade or sale value

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.tp?kbb&&773&split_owners

Good Luck ;)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 11:59 AM »
I've talked to some Wrangler owners, and I think I'd only need the six for towing things. I don't drive like a maniac anymore, so I'm thinking the four will be just fine.

I'm going to kill gas mileage bad enough with a drop-top anyway.

Thanks for that link, OCB. :)

Edit-Checked the link, and I think I'll be in good shape.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 12:05 PM by HMI »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 02:18 PM »
I have been a Wrangler owner for almost 10 years now.  Still have the same one I bought new off the lot.  I love it!  I have had no problems whatsoever up until a month ago when my transmission finally went.  Jeeps are very easy to maintain and they are over simplified.  Just take a peak under the hood and you will see what I mean.  Very easy to work on and maintenance is fairly cheap.  One disappointment for me was the gas mileage.  I had a 4 cylinder and though I would get great mileage and I was wrong.  I only averaged about 20 MPG.  BTW, I have a hardtop. Another plus is that they hold there value very well and will last forever if maintained properly.  150,000 miles and counting.  Although I would love another, at this time I am looking for another vehicle.  Something more in line for the family.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 02:21 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 02:34 PM »
I had a CJ-7 that was nearly twenty years old when I got it, and it was an absolute nightmare. But, when it worked, it was a blast to drive.

Talked to the people who gave me the loan. They said I could keep my same interest rate, but my monthly payments would go up slightly. Eh. I wonder how bad Allied will knock me for insurance, since I'm not 25 yet. Thieves. >:(