Author Topic: Thundercats, Hoooo!!  (Read 48653 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Thundercats, Hoooo!!
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Saw these at K-Mart yesterday.  Made me smile, but not enough to purchase them.  If the sculpts were more realistic, I'd probably consider it.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Some 4 inch pics and articulation reviews

Lion-O:

Comes with: extended sword of omens, short sword of omens, and glove thingy.
Articulation:  Swivel head, ball jointed arms, swivel forearm, swivel waist, ball jointed hips, single hinged knees, single hinged ankles.
Extra notes:  as you can see in the pic the short sword plugs in nicely to the glove just like in the show, no swivel at the boot.

Tigra:

Comes with:  blaster, belt, whip
Articulation:Swivel head, ball jointed arms, swivel forearm, ball jointed hips, single hinged knees, swivel at the boot, single hinged ankles.
Extra notes:  I am not a big fan of the bulky belt.  You can easily unclasp it to take it apart.  there is a spot on Tigra's waist to attempt to keep the belt plugged in and snug but it doesn't work so well.  The whip is all blue, I can't remember if in the new cartoon if the whips is supposed to have colored ends or not.

Panthro:

comes with:  nunchucks, and wrapped up nunchucks to store
Articulation:  Swivel head, ball jointed arms, swivel forearm, ball jointed hips, single hinged knees, swivel at the boot, single hinged ankles.
Extra notes:  no waist articulation, there is a plug on his belt in the back to place his wrapped up nunchucks.  The nunchucks are all silver - we have not seen what color they are supposed to be in the cartoon yet, but I would not be against painting them to be their traditional red/blue colors.

and now for the let down imo:
Cheetara:

Comes with: staff
Articulation:  yikes!  ball jointed shoulders, swivel bicep, 3 - yes 3 - cuts in the hip/upper thigh area, single hinged knees.
Extra notes:  One can see she has a swivel neck but due to her hair and the magnet thingy on the back she cannot move it at all.  Big downfalls imo - no ankles, waist, or wrist.  Her articulation stinks.

Overall I really do like these figures - especially the crisp paint apps that do a great job depicting what the characters look like on TV.  I will do a review of some of the other figures/things I bought later if I can sneak past my wife. (I have to sneak these too - my wife wasn't too thrilled about another toy line).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:16 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17 AM »
not sure why the thumbs are not working on this board.... ???

JD uses 'img' and not 'image' in the image tags - [/img], not [/image].  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:18 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 10:34 AM »
ah thanks!  here are some more!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Haven't seen these anywhere yet, although we don't have K-Marts around anymore.  I'm not going to actively collect the line either, but our daughter has been way into Thundercats lately (watching the older ones on a DVD set we have, and catching the first couple episodes of the new series), and I know she really wants a Cheetara.  If these show up at Target, TRU, etc. I'd probably grab a few for her if she is still interested.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 03:54 PM »
I am wondering if Target is going to be carrying this line?  Bandai's website specifically says these will be available at: Walmart, TRU, K-Mart, and Amazon.com

But yeah I am loving the new series - it is great!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 06:20 PM »
I ordered the SDCC exclusive Lion-O and after seeing how bigger they are than i was expecting, i cancelled by preorder for Tygra and the regular Lion-O. I was hoping they would be more in scale with MOTU.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Okay...  here goes.....

Wilykit and Wilykat

articulation:  Swivel head and shoulders...  thats it.
Wilykit comes with some ring thingy
Wilykat comes with these big long grabber claws
Extra notes:  there boards have, um wheels, um - they have pop out guns on the sides, and uh, they front of the boards opens up as if to pinch things...  The peg to keep these figures on their boards is in their tails instead of having the holes on their feet.  While this may not seem like a big deal it means they really only look right facing forward on their boards and not standing sideways like they should on a surf board.   :(

Mumra:
Articulation:  Swivel neck, swivel shoulders, swivel wrist, swivel waist.
Comes with: removable cape, wrist shield guard thingy, and what looks like to be the small sword of omens.
Extra notes:  his cape is a touch heavy for the figure and it makes him rock back on his heels a bit.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:30 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 11:35 AM »
I got some time so I was able to doa quick little review on the rest of the stuff I have from the line.

Lizard with Lizard Cannon - love the name...

The vehicle is actually pretty cool - here is a pic in firing mode:

Driving mode:

and a picture of the cool Lizard driver:

he is, imo, actually one of the best figures believe it or not - a simple no-named Lizard.  He sports an actually full functioning ball jointed head and tail, bail jointed shoulders, a swivel at the wrist area, swivel hips, and hinged knees.

And here is the Thundertank:

This thing has lights and sounds.  You can see in this pic the "eyes" lighting up.  There is a canon firing noise, a screeching of tires noise for when you launch the sidecar launchers, and when you put a figure in the seat it says "Thundertank, activate" followed by a sound that to me sounds like a the slashing sound effects of the Sword of Omens.

Here is a open cockpit view which also shows the claws displayed out or in - these just work on a little swivel:

This picture is showing off the rear action feature of the Thundertank.  When on of the figures magnets touches the back of the Thundertank, as shown, a rear door hatch opens up.  This is a good place to store Snarf.  While I am at it, Snarf is decent though a bit oversized.  He is probably more in scale with the other figures like Snarf is from the old series.  The only articulation he has is a swivel at all 4 legs, but his tail is in the way .  He also has the action feature magnet in his back like all of the other figures.

And this last picture is just showing off the sidecar launching feature.  You lift the flaps on the Thundertank, press the button and they launch - and this feature actually works pretty decently.

Finally, just like anything and everything else from this line, the paint details are very sharp on all of the above.

I still need to grab a Mumra the Ever-Living at some point - I am still trying to decide which version I want - the 6 inch or the Deluxe version - I am still trying to figure out which one is more "in scale".  I also still have not seen Grune - and he is a definite buy - I love him in the show.  The sidecars from the figure/vehicle line I am actually debating now that I have the Thundertank cracked open - I will probably wait for a sale on those.  So that pretty much puts me at having/will be having everything in the inch scale line.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:46 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Saw a bunch of the 3 3/4 and 6" versions of these at K-Mart last night. Looked pretty cool, but I had to resist getting pulled into yet another line.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I saw some of these at TRU this weekend (the only place locally that carries them I believe), and they didn't look too bad.  Our daughter is way into the show right now, but unfortunately we couldn't find her favorite (Cheetara) on the pegs.  I'm sure, as a female character, she is short packed though.  Did see Lion-O, Tygra, Mumm Ra, and some deluxe stuff.  Oh, and the Thundertank as well.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Watched an episode of the show, thought it was aweosme and ended up buying Lion-O
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2011, 09:02 AM »
I ended up watching the episode that aired after Clone Wars last week and it was surprisingly not that bad. They're doing a good job with this franchise right now.

The new Voltron, by comparison, SUCKS.  :-\
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I hate screaming faces on figures.