Author Topic: Hold the phone--"Deluxe" Rieekan?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Hold the phone--"Deluxe" Rieekan?
« on: September 24, 2003, 06:10 PM »
In the QnA over at GalacticHunter, Adam made reference to the fact that Rieekan would be included in the Deluxe Assortment (including The Wampa, new Jabba, and Escape Pod Threepio, and three other unnamed releases.) Question number 9 here.

This is the first I've heard of Rieekan as a deluxe figure...I'm sure the tactical display he comes with is nice and all, but I hadn't been under the impression it was "deluxe" nice.

Has there been offical word that Rieekan is indeed a deluxe figure?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Hold the phone--"Deluxe" Rieekan?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 06:21 PM »
Well, that'd be my guess for the simple fact that the tactical display looks to be pretty dang big, and as such it probably wouldn't fit too well, if at all, in any of the standard Saga sized bubbles...

Deluxe, standard...  It seems to be a crapshoot lately with these Bobb.  Amanaman = Deluxe, but Ephant Mon = Standard?  Obi-Wan and Elan with portions of the nightclub bar = Standard, yet the Cantina bar segments with rehashed Greedo and friends = Deluxe?  Go figure...   :-\

I still say that the tactical display that comes with Rieekan is probably just too big.  But since I've always wanted one (not to mention a never before made Rieekan), I'm cool with shelling out double the usual coin to snag a few...   8)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 09:25 PM »
yes, yet again hasbro contradicts themselves. taking a look at the size of the tactical display, this item could easily fit on a standard single figure card. has anyone ever noticed how huge those bubbles are? just make the desk and "glass screen" two seperate pieces and you could stick the whole thing in there and it probably would still weigh less than Ephant Mon did....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 10:25 PM »
Hasbro stated in Chicago that Rieekan would be a Deluxe figure.  He and the Wampa are the two deluxe items from the Hoth wave.

And after seeing the figure and the tactical plot in person, I can personally vouch that it wouldn't really be a good fit on a biasic figure card.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 12:43 AM »
The display, in relation to the figure in the pictures, looks like it would be a really tight fit on a standard card.  Ephant Mon weighs as much as a pound of roast beef, but he's compact.

Even so, barechested Darth Maul and Amanaman, both of which can be seeen at all TRUs that I go to for $4.98 on clearance, were hardly deluxe figures to start with as well.  

But if push came to shove, I'd pay it for Riekken.  He's too cool to pass up.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 04:35 AM »
I was a little curious at first also why Riekken was considered a deluxe for all the reasons already mentioned, but yeah the screen type thing seems awfully big.  Then again, the bar sections that come with the Nightclub Obi Wan and Death Sticks Guy seem awfully big as well.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 11:54 PM »
Consider, if you will, the roll-call of deluxe figures(POTJ-Present):

Luke Skywalker
Darth Maul
Princess Leia
Amanaman
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Jango Fett
Count Dooku
Mace Windu
Nexu
Anakin Skywalker (x2)
Yoda
See-Threepio
Geonosian
Clone Trooper
Obi-Wan Kenobi (again)
Jango Fett (again)

It just never occured to me that they would make a non-main character, non-army builder, non "larger than average" figure as a deluxe. It's almost as if they've conceeded that the deluxe line will focus on collectors and/or large set pieces. Neither of which I'm upset to see, just surprised. (A moisture vaporator could well be on the horizon...)

And of course a ten-dollar Rieekan is better than no Rieekan at all. I'm just a little shocked Hasbro is sticking retailers with a ten-dollar "blah" figure.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2003, 12:50 AM »
$10 or not, I plan on getting at least 3-4 of them for that cool tactical display.  I'll do head swaps on my extra Riekens.  Wheeeeeee!

:P

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 6, 2003, 09:48 AM »
CHEWIE... you're not the same CHEWIE from CorePlanets in MO are you?  That's a good idea... hadn't though about getting multiples and doing head swaps.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: October 6, 2003, 10:08 AM »
$10 or not, I plan on getting at least 3-4 of them for that cool tactical display.  I'll do head swaps on my extra Riekens.  Wheeeeeee!

Great idea, Chewie!

Don't forget to make a custom Torryn Farr, if you don't already have one!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: October 6, 2003, 03:54 PM »

Great idea, Chewie!

Don't forget to make a custom Torryn Farr, if you don't already have one!
Sculpy Boobies!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 6, 2003, 04:08 PM »
***slaps scott's hands***

Stop touching it, or the Sculpey won't dry.  *sigh*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77