Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 104995 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2012, 07:19 AM »
But some of the Orcs looked...OFF.  Some of the Warg riders looked very much like the Orcs you saw in LOTR, like guys in makeup & prosthetics.  But Azog looked like he was completely CG to me.  Which is weird, because I knew the actor who played Azog, but I couldn't recognize him.  Was Azog like Gollum, a character who was done completely via motion capture?  And there were at least a few other Orcs that looked that way, too.

Yeah - I was surprised they went full-on CG for Azog.  That was absolutely not a guy in costume... it was mo-cap like Gollum.  And I found it jarring to have him next to traditional prosthetic orcs.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2012, 10:56 AM »
The family plus two friends of my son went to see this last night to celebrate son's 12th birthday. 

Thoroughly enjoyed everything...could have lived without the goblin song and dance, and the disney-esque dishwashing sequence.  Otherwise I was thrilled at the addition of Radagast and completely surprised by the Sauruman.  Loved those scenes probably most out of the whole movie.

Right as the dwarves climbed the trees the house lights in the theater came up...and stayed up until the end of the film.  I kept thinking an usher or projectionist would correct this but it never happened.  Complained to the manager afterwards, and he apologetically offered to refund my money.   At first I thought...no...but then decided that taking six people to a movie is an expensive outing and it's not too much to expect that theater actually stay dark, so I accepted.  He also threw in six passes on top of refunding the ticket price.

When I got home, I actually counted the money he refunded and realized that he gave me regular showing as the refund, when we only paid matinee prices since this was the 4:45 show. 

Two adults, and four kids walk in to a matinee.  Walk out with refunded ticket price, plus 7 extra dollars, PLUS six passes for future shows.   

Best 12 year old birthday party I've ever thrown..
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #347 on: December 20, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Nice story name...if we had a Facebook like option I would have liked it:-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15 AM »
I'm liking it in my mind.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbit
« Reply #349 on: January 1, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Finally saw "The Hobbit". Liked it but it seemed like it was one third of a really long movie.................................
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hobbit
« Reply #350 on: January 2, 2013, 04:14 AM »
Finally saw "The Hobbit". Liked it but it seemed like it was one third of a really long movie.................................

That's exactly why I am tempted to wait till all three are available on bluray or wait till the last ones out then watch them all together
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hobbit
« Reply #351 on: January 2, 2013, 07:02 PM »

That's exactly why I am tempted to wait till all three are available on bluray or wait till the last ones out then watch them all together

My substantial anti-social tendencies towards crowded movie theaters has me thinking the same thing.  In my old job I was usually able to steal away for afternoon matinees but not so with the current job.  Afternoon showings were often empty enough that I wouldn't be near the cell phone/texter/wrapper crinkler and have my movie going experience spoiled.  Soon enough the basement theater will be done though and no more of having to put up with people believing they are on their own couch and no one else matters.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2013, 02:53 PM »
For anyone that picked up the blu ray this week (and got the UV code included), there is a sneak peek for Part 2, The Desolation of Smaug hosted by Peter Jackson going up in about 7 minutes from now (3 ET/2 CT).  Just a heads up!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:02 PM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Just watched it (nearly an hour) with a tour of their facilities, video Q and A, etc.  They did show a clip involving Gandalf and Radgast that is sort of from the appendices, involving the story of the Necromancer.  Also, there were several unfinished/behind the scenes shots throughout the question and answer period that showed a bit as well.  I think you can still view it (again, if you have a code) for a couple months.  He said the trailer will be released this summer.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2013, 11:26 PM »
I watched much of the Finnish miniseries The Hobbits (Hobitit) from 1993 on Youtube.  Low-bugdet bad-wig hilarity...but it tried. Gollum played by a not-so-thin actor is odd. No big battle scenes, because its main focus is on the Hobbits. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 8, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Considering that The Hobbit falls under the general Warner Brothers banner, does anyone else think that it's likely we'll see a trailer attached to Man of Steel?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 9, 2013, 05:47 PM »
I think it has been confirmed that there is a trailer attached to Man of Steel, the poster is online today and the trailer is supposed to be online Tuesday and in theaters next weekend.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Looks a lot better than the first film, actually.  Like the rollercoaster gets to the top and starts its descent now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Looks really cool, definitely looking forward to it.  Although it didn't reach the levels of LOTR with me, I really enjoyed the first installment of the Hobbit, and I'm looking forward to this one even more.  I know some aren't crazy about it, but I'm sort of jazzed to see Legolas included here, even if just for a bit.  Still wondering if we'll end up getting a Smaug from the Bridge Direct toyline, that would be pretty spiffy.