Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 105332 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #45 on: October 9, 2007, 08:33 AM »
The new issue of Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the conditions between Jackson and New Line may be getting better.

Article is online here: "The Hobbit": Peace in Middle-Earth?

E...

I was flipping through that briefly in the checkout line at Best Buy yesterday, I didin't have time to really read much else than the headlines and a few quick blurbs though. I really want to see this movie get made, but I feel Jackson absolutely needs to be directly involved. I wasn't ever really a fan of the Spiderman movies, but I found 3 to be especially bad. I'm not really a fan of Sam Raimi having anything to do with this project. Jackson and co. did such an outstanding job on the LOTR trilogy I think handing the reigns over to a guy like Raimi would taint the good name of the franchise. I guess I'm not wholy opposed to a different director, he/she would certainly have to be a proven director, and I think that I'd have the same conditions as Richard in that Jackson would HAVE to be creatively involved, Weta would have the visuals, Walsh would be in on the script, and the two Ian's get cast.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 9, 2007, 09:34 AM »
I had heard the rumblings of a concession between Jackson and Shaye. My industry never ceases to amaze me.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 11:55 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_en_ot/film_the_hobbit

Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'
NEW YORK - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion — an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

New Line Cinema is owned by Time Warner. Sony and Comcast are among the owners of MGM.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Great news, thanks for posting that Scott. ;D

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 12:09 PM »
SWEET!  Thanks for posting this.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 12:16 PM »
Very awesome news indeed.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 01:57 PM »
With 2008 right around the corner, 2010 doesn't seem that far away!  Can't wait to start seeing some of the production photos on this one...  Especially Smog and the Goblins...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 04:32 PM »
Nice that they ar also splitting it up into two movies.  That shoud keep them fairly close to the book.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 04:44 PM »
That's awesome news, but I still want to see Jackson direct this as well.  He's going to be so involved in the film anyway (think Lucas with ROTJ) that he might as well just direct it himself.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 05:25 PM »

Between this and the Zeppelin reunion, it must be getting pretty chilly in Hell this week. ;)

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

So I wonder if they are splitting The Hobbit into a Part One and Two, or is the second going to be the rumored "bridge" film based on the LOTR appendices and other expanded material?
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2007, 01:14 AM »
I don't know how that news slipped past me but that's awesome.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 06:40 PM »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Del Toro would kick so much ass.  I hear he's trying to get in line for HP7 too.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 01:02 PM »
The Hobbit may have hit another road block.  I hope that this gets settled quickly, and this movie(s) can move forward.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Jesus.  Didn't New Line pay anyone?!

"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"