Community > Watto's Junk Yard

'The Hobbit' movie

<< < (2/82) > >>

Ben:
I'll copy the text here, with apologies to Geb (hey man, the site takes a life-age to load today.)

"In the News: HUGE Small Little Tidbit of Hobbit News
Today we learned something that should not come to a surprise to anyone who has ever visited this site or any other Lord of the Rings collector /movie site. As most of you know (or don't) Peter Jackson intended to make The Hobbit FIRST, but both he and New Line ran into difficulty with licensing issues. PJ plainly stated this in the most recent Fan Club interview. To avoid dragging it out, they decided to pursue the trilogy instead...and I bet we are all glad they did! Now for the new news...according to sources that I WILL NOT name under penalty of death, New Line has worked out the licensing issues for The Hobbit and now OWNS THE RIGHTS. In other words, they will more than likely be making The Hobbit sometime in the near future. As far as Peter Jackson's being director...unknown at this point, but he definitely wants to be involved (director or producer?). Stay tuned for more details as we learn more.

SPECIAL NOTE: Neither Toybiz, nor any other licenses collectible producer for the New Line Movies has rights to The Hobbit...so it will be ANOTHER bidding war for toys, and collectibles alike if The Hobbit comes to pass. Hope and pray that Toybiz, Sideshow, Play Along, etc. retain the licenses and we get the appropriate scale figures/toys from The Hobbit to go along with their trilogy line. Lets just hope we get a Deluxe SMAUG!"

Brian:
According to TheGD.com (via ComingSoon.net), MGM (in partnership with New Line) has plans to go forward with "the Hobbit" in the next few years...possibly as a two parter.  A little more info at the linky, but its not very detailed at this point.  It does sound like it could potentially happen though.

Sprry75:
I had heard that PJ and New Line were pissing on each other over royalties from the LOTR trilogy.

I wonder if their relationship has soured, or if it's just a professional issue with a bunch of blood sucking parasite leech attorneys doing all of the wrangling.

Nathan:
Huh. I'm not going to go dancing in the streets yet, since it's still an awful lot like the rumors we've been reading for years. But this is a very small step in the right direction, certainly. :)

Color me cautiously optimistic.

efranks:
I don't think I'd want to see the Hobbit done if Jackson doesn't direct it.  He gets the story, understands it.  Even though some people disagreed with his adaptation of LOTR it's absolutely incredible and I don't know if another director could have done it.

Maybe Spielberg or Cameron or Ridley Scott...someone on that level maybe.  But, if Spielberg directed I'd be too afraid that Tom Hanks would end up in the film.   ;D

E...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version