Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 105021 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2008, 11:29 PM »
I recall the 87 number from the extended edition of The Two Towers.

The casting rumors are pretty cool.  I wonder if talks are also underway with Hugo Weaving, as Elrond was a significant player in The Hobbit, too.  But I'm still wondering if Guillermo del Toro is entertaining the thought of bringing back Ian Holm to play Bilbo.  The guy is OLD!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2008, 10:44 AM »
It would only make sense to bring Ian Holm back as Bilbo. He did play a younger version of Bilbo in the two towers flashback scene. Anyone else would take away from the continuation.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2008, 12:34 PM »
It would be idiotic to bring back Ian Holm.  They'd have to CG every single scene he was in.  It makes much more sense to bring in a younger actor.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Almost every scene in LOTRs was CG. Remember these are animated movies with real people thrown in. Besides, why can't they use the same makeup job they did on him in the Hobbit flashback scene in TT or was it ROTK?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2008, 09:49 AM »
I've been out of the Hobbit news, but Del Toro directing is an excellent choice. It'll certainly keep the same visual tone and perhaps take it up a notch.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40 PM »
Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro hosted an online chat about the Hobbit and "Film 2" over the weekend.  If anyone is interested, there is 17 page pdf transcript available CLICK HERE

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Almost every scene in LOTRs was CG. Remember these are animated movies with real people thrown in. Besides, why can't they use the same makeup job they did on him in the Hobbit flashback scene in TT or was it ROTK?

But for six more hours of movie? The guy is already 76 and will be even older by the time filming starts. I acknowledge that casting a younger actor will mess with the continuity of the prologue, and the idea that he hasn't aged until FOTR, but getting Holm to do a couple of action movies at his age is just not practical. Anyway, the trilogy was filmed almost nine years ago, so he's already older than he was even in FOTR.

That being said, I'm sure they'll bring in Holm somehow, as the narrator or as bookending cameos at the beginning and end.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:27 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Another thing to consider is that CG for faces is far more difficult and expensive than CG for changing the size of actors or rendering full models.  Most people recognize facial CG immediately because we look at faces all the time and are very attuned to their subtleties.  So to do it convincingly is very time consuming.   Using CG to alter Holm's face for every scene in 6 to 8 hours worth of movies would simply not be feasible.  They'd do better to make him from scratch like Gollum.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I think Martin Freeman is a name I've heard a lot for Bilbo Baggins.  Here's a link to a good article on casting rumors and speculation for the Hobbit:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/01/07/28227-speculation-on-hobbit-casting/

The article also speculates that Indiana Jone's own Mutt Williams could be considered.

Offline bamaker

• Youngling
  • Hey, look at this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2008, 05:36 PM »
The article also speculates that Indiana Jone's own Mutt Williams could be considered.

I certainly hope that's not the case.  I'd rather a lesser known, but qualified actor fill the role.  I just don't think I can live in a world where Shia Lebouf (sp?) is thought to be a billion-dollar movie franchise hero.  I'm sorry but he's riding the coattails of huge concept movies and is not the reason for the success of said films.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Wow Bam... where'd that avatar come from??   :o :o

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I hate early casting rumors on films, especially when they seemingly throw out names of people just because they're the hot thing in Hollywood at the time.

Out of the three names they tossed in for Bilbo I'd go with Martin Freeman.  He could play the befuddled Hobbit on his journey.  I know I've seen Colin Firth before but I can't place his work right now.

I think Labouef is to young.  They should be looking at somone in their mid 30's to about 45-ish, but still a little youthful looking.  Bilbo isn't as young as Frodo and the boys were when he went on his journey after all.

I'm just excited this is getting made and Jackson is involved.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2008, 09:12 PM »
I know I've seen Colin Firth before but I can't place his work right now.

E...

Firth played the befuddled English bachelor in the Bridget Jones movies, the befuddled English single father in Nanny McPhee, the befuddled English writer in love with his Italian maid in Love Actually, and ....well...you get it.

I think he'd be a GREAT Bilbo...
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2008, 11:39 PM »
I know I've seen Colin Firth before but I can't place his work right now.

E...

Firth played the befuddled English bachelor in the Bridget Jones movies, the befuddled English single father in Nanny McPhee, the befuddled English writer in love with his Italian maid in Love Actually, and ....well...you get it.

I think he'd be a GREAT Bilbo...

Since I don't have a vagina I have not seen any of those films.  But thank you for confirming his befuddlement ability.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline bamaker

• Youngling
  • Hey, look at this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Wow Bam... where'd that avatar come from??   :o :o

I lifted it from the website of the local sportsradio station, 1310 The Ticket.  It was posted under the heading "Hello Frisco!" -- Frisco being one of the suburbs of north Dallas.  I don't know who she is, or what it has to do with Frisco, but frankly that doesn't bother me.  Ignorance is bliss, and she puts me in a blissful mood.  :)