Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 104978 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: hobbit
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Sweet!  Peter Jackson and Del Toro are going to write the new Hobbit film rather than hire someone to do it.

That will, hopefully, mean that the tone of the film will be similar to LOTR making it fit in even better with the trilogy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58 PM »
Saw some news on a LOTR fan site this evening.   Peter Jackson has confirmed that the Hobbit will be a two part movie (not two independent movies) and will add in the details of when Gandalf disappears to join the White Council in their fight against Sauron the Necromancer.  Sounds good to me.

Hobbit: One tale in two parts

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2009, 12:53 PM »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Del Toro Confirms Weaving in "The Hobbit"

Great news!  I'm glad the actors have been willing to reprise these roles!!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Del Toro Confirms Weaving in "The Hobbit"

Great news!  I'm glad the actors have been willing to reprise these roles!!

Great News indeed. :)

With as good as the last three were and with as much money as they made, the actors would be crazy to not comeback.
"This is the way."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I don't think they were really ever in question frankly. It seemed more like the "I'm just waiting for PJ to call" type of thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:44 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2009, 12:04 AM »
Besides Weaving and Ian Holm, who else would need to be casted from LotR? I haven't read the Hobbit in a while, so probably should to refresh my memory.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2009, 01:50 AM »
Besides Weaving and Ian Holm, who else would need to be casted from LotR? I haven't read the Hobbit in a while, so probably should to refresh my memory.

Ian McKellen as Gandalf, who's already been confirmed.

Is Ian Holm in this Hobbit movie? I figure they'd need to recast Bilbo.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2009, 03:22 AM »
They could use Ian Holm and use a lot of make-up to make him look younger.  Similar to the flashback scene where he finds the ring in FOTR.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2009, 10:04 AM »
We've already gone over this... the cost of making Holm young for 6 hours across two movies would be ridiculous, not to mention it'd be unconvincing throughout.  It's not a smart solution no matter how much you liked Holm in the role.  The guy will be 80 before the movies come out.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2009, 11:31 AM »
We've already gone over this... the cost of making Holm young for 6 hours across two movies would be ridiculous, not to mention it'd be unconvincing throughout.  It's not a smart solution no matter how much you liked Holm in the role.

And you're qualified to make these assumptions how?

With respect, I've worked with the Westmores. I've worked with other top talented make-up artists and FX artists like Dennis Muren and Kenny Meyers. I know what they are capable of and how much it costs, it's my job (at least it used to be.) It can be done, convincingly, for no more money than it costs to do a Gollum or Lt. Worf (relatively speaking, of course.) Terminator Salvation and the last X-men movie were considered test runs for that type of digital make-up to be used on a main character scale and you can be sure that Weta improved upon the technology used to create Gollum. Tel Toro is also very much in tune with the whole digital make-up process as he used it very effectively in Pan's Labyrinth.

But the question remains, should they? I loved Holm in the roll as well, but I agree, he might be too old.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:25 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2009, 12:23 PM »

Ian McKellen as Gandalf, who's already been confirmed.

Ah, how could I forget Gandalf...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2009, 12:34 PM »
We've already gone over this... the cost of making Holm young for 6 hours across two movies would be ridiculous, not to mention it'd be unconvincing throughout.  It's not a smart solution no matter how much you liked Holm in the role.  The guy will be 80 before the movies come out.

Great expert opinion Bill.  ::)  Especially since Marvel Studios is looking seriously at "de-aging" Ian McKellan (and possibly Patrick Stewart) for X-Men Origins - Magneto.  Studios do recognize that the audience appreciates a sense of continuity when possible.

That being said, James MacAvoy's name was thrown around as a possible Bilbo.  But that was just a rumor and MacAvoy has actually denied it.

I think it's more notable that in all of this discussion there's been little to no discussion of Andy Serkis.  He's also signed on to reprise his role as Gollum.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:37 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I think it's more notable that in all of this discussion there's been little to no discussion of Andy Serkis.  He's also signed on to reprise his role as Gollum.

****, I really need to sit and reread this... forgot about the riddles!!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I thought I had posted about Ian Holm in this thread but maybe I didn't.  Visual effects aside, I think he's a little too old to play Bilbo in the new film.  I did mention before that I thought someone from about 35 - 45 would be best.

I know they did a huge amount of work for Benjamin Button to make Pitt age through the movie, so it can be done.  Going back to X3, I remember reading articles that talked about how expensive it was to de-age McKellen and Stewart and, at the time, it being said that for a scene it worked but they'd never be able to do a whole film like that.  However, they did McKellen and Stewart 100% in the computer.  There were no prosthetics or anything, they just shot them normally and digitally aged them.

Since there would be makeup and prosthetics for the Hobbit already, adding some digital touches to that to make Holm look younger wouldn't be as big of a deal as it would be if they were doing it all in the computer. 

Still, while continuity is great, Bilbo was about 51 when he left the Shire in the Hobbit and he was 111 when we see him at his birthday in Fellowship.  I personally think that a younger actor is needed for the film.  I think it would just work better. 

I look at it this way.  In 1999, had the current technology been available, would you have preferred Alec Guinness to play Obi-Wan in the new trilogy?  I wouldn't.  I can't picture anyone else doing it now that Ewan McGregor took on the roll.  Bilbo in The Hobbit is someone elses chance to do what McGregor did with Obi-Wan in the prequel trilogy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"