Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 104978 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #225 on: January 6, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Possible spoiler regarding the Hobbit, and a possible change to bridge with LOTR:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=52316

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #226 on: February 9, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Billy Connolly cast as Dain Ironfoot, Lord of the Dwarves of the Iron Hills.

No, really.

http://bit.ly/ypntu5
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2012, 09:02 AM »
The Hobbit trailer (in 3D) played in front of Phantom Menace at my theatre. That was a nice bonus for going to see TPM.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2012, 01:07 PM »
The Hobbit trailer (in 3D) played in front of Phantom Menace at my theatre. That was a nice bonus for going to see TPM.

Nice, we got the Three Stooges trailer here...not really the same caliber IMO.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Stooges / Hobbit? Hmm. They just don't weigh the same.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2012, 09:02 PM »
We actually had both prior to seem TPM.  They first played the Stooges trailer, then had the little "put your glasses on now" screen, and then we saw trailers for Brave, the Lorax, and the Hobbit.  It was cool getting to see the Hobbit trailer on the big screen, can't wait.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16 PM »
I really feel cheated now.  Didn't get the Darth Maul 3D glasses or the Hobbit trailer!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53 AM »
I really feel cheated now.  Didn't get the Darth Maul 3D glasses or the Hobbit trailer!

Same here.  :(

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2012, 02:17 PM »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2012, 02:32 PM »
Oh, crap.

I read a couple different reviews of the footage from CinemaCon that said the same thing.  The footage was cool, but didn't look great in this new format I guess.  A lot compared it to "television looking" I believe.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Hmmm... not sure how I feel about this.  Hopefully its not so disruptive to lessen the overall experience.   I can't think of a more highly anticipated movie for me since the Fellowship of the Ring came out.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Oh, crap.

I think what hasn't been said in those pieces is that what's been shown at Cinemacon is likely not a finished product.  It's a clip that's been put together for the purposes of expos like this one which primarily focuses on theater owners, as well as studio execs. 

48 fps is definitely not going to look like what everyone is used to.  Here's something from Slashfilm about the presentation:

A brief primer: Modern films are shot and projected at 24 frames per second. That has been the industry standard for feature films since the mid-1920s after sound motion pictures were introduced. The low frame rate results in a strobing effect when there is moderate camera movement. You have probably accepted this technological artifacting, but it looks artificial and your brain interprets it as such. Raising the framerate makes movement look a lot smoother, and gives the impression of an enhanced resolution. The low framerate is also one of the major factors of why some people experience discomfort while watching 3D movies.

I get the feeling that the reel that was shown at Cinemacon hadn't undergone the final level of digital grading.  And if you go back through your LOTR DVD bonus material you'll find a feature about this very process.  Digital grading is generally done after the final cut of the movie, and addresses the lighting and related mood of the movie through processes that aren't all that dissimilar to photoshop. 

In a feature like The Hobbit, a scene with some heavy dramatic content may actually be shot in lighting that can seem contrary to the tone of the scene.  Especially if there are going to be CGI elements added in post-production.  And that's because it's easier to incorporate those CGI elements into a well lit scene so that those elements which are going to potentially be the toughest sell for the audience will look right.  After that, with digital grading you're essentially re-lighting the scene to add to the dramatic tone.

All of this being said, I'm not a huge fan of the current crop of 3d movies.  But I think that the blur that's been mentioned which is inherent to quick camera moves in the 24 fps format may have something to do with the jarring feeling of some of those viewing experiences.  48 fps will aid in this, but will it affect the feel of the final cut of the movie?  Something like this could potentially hurt a movie, but in the grand scheme of things who will be going to see The Hobbit?  Certainly not film purists, because much of that crowd has already made their minds up about movies like The Hobbit long before they ever get a chance to see it in theaters.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 6, 2012, 12:06 PM »
A new production blog video (#7) has been posted by Peter Jackson:

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/?p=6823

Keep an eye out for little cameo towards the end.  Really looking forward to this, hopefully we'll get a new trailer soon - or at least this summer.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2012, 01:05 PM by Brian »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #238 on: June 6, 2012, 03:36 PM »
This is the only movie I'm definitely going to be seeing...  Cannot wait for this thing.  The video blogs are really nicely done too, and look like so much fun to be a part of.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 6, 2012, 04:14 PM »

Keep an eye out for little cameo towards the end.  Really looking forward to this, hopefully we'll get a new trailer soon - or at least this summer.

Cool. The guy from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Oh, you mean the tall one.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours