Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 104988 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #285 on: November 3, 2012, 12:27 AM »
Is anyone else as disappointed as I am in the make-up/casting for Kili (and Thorin to a lesser extent)? He is way too human looking. It's as if he was cast that way purely to put in a good looking character. Dwarves aren't supposed to look like that, where is his big beard or bulbous nose?

He looks completely ridiculous when pictured next to the rest of the dwarves.
"This is the way."

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 3, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Definitely, there is a problem when Gandalf and Bilbo looks more like dwarfs than a dwarf character.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 4, 2012, 09:05 AM »
They probably just felt compelled to have some cute/handsome/whatever you want to say people cast as characters to possibly get more girls into the theaters.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 5, 2012, 06:54 AM »
It looks like Galadriel is chucking the bird.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 5, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Is anyone else as disappointed as I am in the make-up/casting for Kili (and Thorin to a lesser extent)? He is way too human looking. It's as if he was cast that way purely to put in a good looking character. Dwarves aren't supposed to look like that, where is his big beard or bulbous nose?

He looks completely ridiculous when pictured next to the rest of the dwarves.

It honestly doesn't bother me that much.  And from I've seen of all of the dwarfs, it looks as though their facial features become more pronounced as they get older.  That is actually something that happens naturally in people:  their noses and ears continue to grow as they age.  Why wouldn't the same happen to dwarves?

Thorin, Fili and Kili look reasonably alike, and I appreciate the effort there.  The makeup department seems to be trying to make the members of the same dwarf families look as though they're actually related.  And they've done that with the other dwarf families, too.  Gloin looks very much like Gimli from LOTR.  And there are resemblances between Gloin, Oin and Balin.  Again, they're all family.  It's that level of effort in the filmmaking process that I think really make a huge difference in creating a world like Middle Earth.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2012, 04:46 PM »
First clip is online:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=70553

Can't wait, only a couple more weeks!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Does anyone know at which point of the book the first movie ends?

I am assuming it's probably right after they escape from goblins in the mountain, Gollum, etc.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14 PM »
I suspect it is ... right when the eagles show up after the get chased by the goblins and wargs

Unrelated, it looks like I'm going to be in Dublin the week that the Hobbit premieres. I was looking for local theaters and found that they have shows starting on Thursday afternoon. I'm going to buy tickets for an 8pm show. Really excited about this!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:21 PM by BrentS »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Based on the LEGO sets, the Wargs are in the first movie...so not sure if they are going to end in a cliffhanger or have the Eagles rescue them

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2012, 01:04 PM »
2 days away and anticipation at the OCB household is at an all time high...can't wait to return to Middle Earth again.  I am also really interested in seeing it 48fps in 3D...might go twice this weekend

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing it this weekend.  I've been rewatching LOTR just because I've been in a Middle Earth mood in anticipation of this.  From what I've seen, the reviews have been solid (although not so much for the 48 fps), so we'll see.  I don't know that we even have a theater in town playing that version anyways, and I'm still trying to decide if it is worth paying extra for 3D or not.  Either way, can't wait.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2012, 02:49 PM »
I got physically ill trying to sit through Blair Witch and Cloverfield, so I am concerned about hearing early reports of motion sickness at this movie too. I wish they could have let the technology season a little more before rolling out it for such a major release.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2012, 03:54 PM »
You don't have to see it at 48 fps...there is the standard rate as well

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I got physically ill trying to sit through Blair Witch and Cloverfield, so I am concerned about hearing early reports of motion sickness at this movie too. I wish they could have let the technology season a little more before rolling out it for such a major release.

I heard somewhere the motion sickness reports were from disgruntled employees.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2012, 04:56 PM »
I hadn't read so much about motion sickness, but more so about parts of the movies looking like they are "sped up".  I read an article somewhere that had several quick reviews from the 48 fps screening, and more than one mentioned parts looking like "Benny Hill" where they seemed to be moving too quickly.  Who knows.  I know they have mentioned before that it really is the best way to see a movie, but that our brain doesn't comprehend it correctly yet after being used to 24 for so many years.  Something like that anyways...