Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 104973 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I'm gonna see it in 48FPS.  Usually 3D doesn't work well for me, but this is supposed to correct that.  The only complaint I heard was that it makes the sets and make-up look obvious.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I caught a good deal of the press tour that some of the cast was doing in New York.  One of the topics that kept coming up was how the movie was shot.  And it's definitely cutting edge technology.

First, the frame rate.  They decided to go for 48 FPS because that was a rate at which motion blur became minimized.  24 FPS has a long history, but it was based in economy.  That was the lowest frame rate at which film could be projected without the viewer noticing the space between frames.  Essentially, it was done in order to save film stock (and print stock, too).  But during high speed movement 24 FPS will show motion blur.  The 48 FPS specs eliminate a lot of that blur.

Then there's the resolution.  The image resolution has been increased far beyond current HDTV standards.  The images in The Hobbit  will have 4 - 5 times more pixels than a standard 1080p HD image.  So the image will be immensely sharper, too.

Add in the 3-D component next, and you're adding depth to the image.

As for viewer reviews?  I heard one avid movie-goer describe it as being an amazing visual experience.  One comparison I heard was that it was akin to watching a stage production, since the images were that vivid.  Younger viewers who are active video gamers will probably be drawn more into the experience than people who have more traditional film tastes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2012, 09:18 AM »
48fps blows. Saw it last week in this format, 3D. Movie is great. I can not recommend seeing it in 48fps at all.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24 AM »
For clarity's sake, existing film stock for the past forever still contains more image "data" than HD or even the new 4K process.  This 48FPS does not contain more "resolution" than a 24FPS presentation does, just twice as many frames per second.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2012, 10:56 AM »
For clarity's sake, existing film stock for the past forever still contains more image "data" than HD or even the new 4K process.  This 48FPS does not contain more "resolution" than a 24FPS presentation does, just twice as many frames per second.

I don't think anyone said that.  The 4K process is what adds the higher resolution.  48FPS helps to elimate motion blur.

But film stock is far more tempermental to work with.  And it's also more expensive to buy and process.  It also doesn't hold up well in the post-production process.  Then there's exhibition.  A film print quickly degrades, and after perhaps half a dozen showings it will show significant degradation.  All of these reasons are why the industry has been moving away from 35mm film stock.

There is definitely the likelihood that movie-goers who have been watching films as far back as the 1980's are going to find the 48 FPS / 4K presentation TOO VIVID for their tastes.  But this seems to be a harbinger of things to come, and we're probably going to see more movies shot this way.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:01 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Then there's the resolution.  The image resolution has been increased far beyond current HDTV standards.  The images in The Hobbit  will have 4 - 5 times more pixels than a standard 1080p HD image.  So the image will be immensely sharper, too.
Even most digital presentations far exceed 1080P, and film stock definitely does.  48FPS is not about the resolution of the frames, but the number of them.  The 24FPS version will have the same resolution, just fewer frames.  The 4K is completely independent of the 48FPS.  Most BluRay discs masters are 4K transfers downgraded to 1080P.

That said, I agree with all your points.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Ordered my ticket last night.  Opted to see this in 3D which I normally don't do.  Even my relatively small local theater has sold out several showings of both 2D and 3D viewings for midnight tomorrow.  Starting to get excited for this.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Even most digital presentations far exceed 1080P, and film stock definitely does.  48FPS is not about the resolution of the frames, but the number of them.  The 24FPS version will have the same resolution, just fewer frames.  The 4K is completely independent of the 48FPS.  Most BluRay discs masters are 4K transfers downgraded to 1080P.

That said, I agree with all your points.

Uh, Jim...

You didn't happen to notice that there are a series of points in the post you quoted, right?

First, the frame rate.  They decided to go for 48 FPS because that was a rate at which motion blur became minimized.  24 FPS has a long history, but it was based in economy.  That was the lowest frame rate at which film could be projected without the viewer noticing the space between frames.  Essentially, it was done in order to save film stock (and print stock, too).  But during high speed movement 24 FPS will show motion blur.  The 48 FPS specs eliminate a lot of that blur.

That first graph is about the frame rate.  And the second one was specifically addressing the 4K scanning technology.  Pardon me if I didn't make that abundantly obvious in the original post.  I was going based off of the radio interview I had caught with Andy Serkis.  In addition to his role as Gollum, Serkis has also served as a director for Second Unit shoots for The Hobbit.  And part of his interview got into the varying layers of new technology that the upcoming Hobbit trilogy would be introducing to audiences.  Among them the 48 FPS frame rate and the 4K scan technology.

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Tomorrow is Hobbit Day, I'm going to eat a second breakfast.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 12, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Tomorrow is Hobbit Day, I'm going to eat a second breakfast.

Elevenses sounds good, too.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 12, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Has anyone confirmed where this movie will stop? I am guessing based on a Lego commercial I saw it will be right after the Eagles rescue the group from the tops of the burning trees.

Film two would then have the story-telling at the Bear's (can't remember his name) home as a great review of the first film to get things started and finish with the barrel ride to the lake town.

That leaves the confrontation with Smaug and the battle with the armies armies for the third picture.

It will be interesting to see how they shoot Mirkwood. That is going to be one dark background to spend most of two hours in.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 12, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Has anyone confirmed where this movie will stop? I am guessing based on a Lego commercial I saw it will be right after the Eagles rescue the group from the tops of the burning trees.

Film two would then have the story-telling at the Bear's (can't remember his name) home as a great review of the first film to get things started and finish with the barrel ride to the lake town.

That leaves the confrontation with Smaug and the battle with the armies armies for the third picture.

It will be interesting to see how they shoot Mirkwood. That is going to be one dark background to spend most of two hours in.

I was wondering the same thing and think your conclusion is probably correct. Yeah, the stuff with Mirkwood and Beorn should be interesting to see how they interpret. I'm also wondering how they are going to tackle all the singing...there are LOTS of songs in the book, dwarf-songs, hobbit-sings, elf-songs, goblin-songs, etc. I can't help but feel that keeping a lot of that stuff in would sort of dampen the drama, so I expect it would be somewhat minimized for the most part. Or at least woven sparingly into the overall framework ala LOTR.

Getting psyched for this now too but I feel like I have to sit down and research which version I want to see for the optimal experience. What happened to just having to figure out what showtime you wanted to attend?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 12, 2012, 11:22 PM »
There is a picture of Bilbo in Smaug's lair that was released that is from the second movie so we know they at least get there.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 13, 2012, 08:22 AM »

Considering the second movie is subtitled 'Desolation of Smaug', it's probably a good bet his entire arc takes place in the second movie.  Third movie should be Battle of the Five Armies plus all the extra **** they're doing to bridge the gap to FOTR.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Just got back from the movie. Rally enjoyed the story.  For the most part it was quite faithful to the book with even a fair amount of direct quotes. There were of course some deviations and one part that was very much counter-Tolkien, but still a fun story.

I did not care for the higher film speed. Definitely felt blurry at times during camera panning. Also, didn't care for one specific part of the Great Goblin, which I won't be too specific for any spoiler concerns.

I saw the movie in 2d but bought the 3d glasses because they were cool collectibles.

Long wait until part 2 next year.  >:(