Author Topic: Custom Cards - Questions and Tips  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Custom Cards - Questions and Tips
« on: January 3, 2003, 02:14 PM »
I am looking for somebody to make me a custom cardback. I have the image but no way to print it out photo quality.

It is a vintage style sandtrooper.

LMK if we can work something out
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline THX1138

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Who makes the BEST custom cards and bubbles!?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2005, 10:01 PM »
As the title says... who makes the BEST custom cards and bubbles???

Is anyone doing heat pressed bubble to card attachment?

Is anyone doing custom vacu-formed clear inner trays?

- Jim

Offline slikkie24

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Best software for custom carding
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Hello,  newbie here & I'm interested in making some of my own custom cards & repairing some old ones.  I need to know what the best software is or the norm for this.  I see lots of Paintshop Pro & Photoshop listings, but I dont know which version or proper name to buy, ie: Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements, etc,etc.

Look forward to hearing from all of you...

Thanks again

Ricky

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Best software for custom carding
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I know you asked me this at www.ffurg.com, and I would think that Sith Lord Chaos might be able to help you out, as he is working on some carding projects for his Stargate SG-1 customs.

Hopefully he or someone else here can help you out.  If not, I will try and find some help for you at www.ffurg.com - there might be a section dedicated to this there.

Do you have any pics of anything you have customized?

:P

Offline slikkie24

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 04:25 PM »
No nothing now.  I have a couple of vintage pieces that I fixed where the bubble was lifting on the corner(s).  I have all the info I need to get started except for the best software.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:39 PM »
I use JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 from DELL, My computer came with a 60 day free trial. My hard drive crash a month or two ago and I lost everything, so when I was reinstalling my stuff I got to reinstall Paintshop. I like the program a lot, and it is my favorite program of it's class (granted it is the only image editing software I've used other than Microsoft paint and the most basic Windows editing programs that lets you resize and correct color) Once my trial is over I plan on renewing it, either by paying for it or backing up all my paintshop files on another disk and uninstalling it and reinstalling it. You can get it for $59.95 (an online renewing key anyways) or the full version for $80. I think I've seen it going for around $30 on ebay as well. I had no experience whatsoever with the program and without using any tutorials or manuals of anything, I've tought self how to use the program fairly proficiently. It is pretty easy to learn to use and I think if you buy the $80 version it comes with a full tutorial guide book, which I think is kind of a waste of money but that's just my opinion. Here's and example of an image I made in Painshop, it is a OTC-style bubble insert for my SG-1 customs, I have to redo the card front and back, since I lost them. Once school is done for me in 2 weeks I should have plenty of time to customize again.

Definitely check FFURG too there is lots of helpful info there.
"This is the way."

Offline slikkie24

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Thanks for the info Sith Lord Chaos. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 12:22 PM »
Alright Slikkie... let's see some customs.   :)

:P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 02:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with Photoshop. If you can afford it, of course. Best program out there for doing any kind of graphics work. Any version will work, since most of what you need to do as far as cards go isn't all that involved. Try picking up an older version of Photoshop, they usually go alost cheaper than the newest one.

Offline danielb

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 01:27 AM »
If you can't afford photoshop or just don't want to spend any cash you can download a program called gimp.  its layed out the same as photoshop and is a pretty easy download.  Just google for it, make sure that you include the word program in your search or there's no telling what you'll get.

Personally I like Illustrator If you work on all the package layout and design in illustrator then import the image you were working on in gimp or photoshop you can really create some nice pieces.

Dan
FNG

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 12:15 PM »
I used to have GIMP and I found it extremely hard to use. Not user friendly at all. It also converts all your image files to Bitmaps. :-X

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline danielb

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 08:58 PM »
I actually have heard that from a few people but I think the recent upgrades to it have made it easier to deal with.
And I don't why it converted everything to bitmap.  I haven't played with it enough.

dan

Offline bilbo

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Card making.
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 07:47 AM »
Hello everyone,
              I would like to ask the forum what photo-editing programs are the best for making custom -made backing cards.

If someone knows which is the best let me know.bilbo

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Re: Card making.
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 10:51 AM »
Photoshop or PaintShop seem to bee the programs of choice.
They both do the job well.