Author Topic: Do you eat your fruits and vegetables?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Do you eat your fruits and vegetables?
« on: September 29, 2003, 08:31 PM »
I've been hearing an add on the radio a lot lately, from the FDA, blabbering on about the 5-9 recommended fruits and vegetables that we're supposed to be eating daily.

Damn.  I'm nowhere even close to that amount!  Aside from the lettuce and tomatoes in my various sandwiches and burgers, I'm lucky if I ever eat any fruits or vegies.  I'm probably way overboard on my breads and cheeses intake as well, that's for sure!  Does this mean I'm doomed?

Does anyone really eat that much "good" stuff on a daily basis, or am I just the most unhealthy guy on the planet?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Do you eat your fruits and vegetables?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 08:41 PM »
I have to be honest, but I don't ever eat fruit.  I mean, sometimes I'll have a banana or an apple, maybe even some raspberries, but I don't eat fruit on a daily basis.  I'm terrible about eating anything truly healthy for you.  I have been eating a lot better lately, but I just don't really eat fruit.   :-\
dustrho

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 08:59 PM »
Damn.  I'm nowhere even close to that amount!  Aside from the lettuce and tomatoes in my various sandwiches and burgers, I'm lucky if I ever eat any fruits or vegies.

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 09:32 PM »

YUCK. (but good point)

I forgot that I do eat the occassional bananas from time to time, maybe 5 or so per month.  Guess I am healthy after all!  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 11:32 PM »
You will when you get older.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  

The one thing no one is really aware of is how small portion sizes are.  We never had a clue until Mrs. Bug took prenatal classes and showed us exactly what a single serving was.  It wasn't a whole lot.  

I don't get the full five of either, but I do try.  At least a couple of servings of fruit a day and I probably make my vegetable quota, given I tend to do a lot of work with our commercial vegetable growers.  If they give you food for free, you end up reasonably inclined to eat it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 11:35 PM »
Well, tomorrow I go back on the Atkins diet, so my fruit for me.  But, I'll be indulging in the veggies when I can.

As for this stuff...

...I got in the habit of drinking it when I was doing some work in California.  It's weird, but good.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 11:47 PM »
I presume the US has the fruitier version of it as well.  It's ok for lunch but I have a very hard time with chunky beverages.  Too many memories of bad university parties.  Ahem.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 09:39 AM »
I actually majored in this sort of stuff in college (although I don't work in it now)...so I should be better than I am.  I actually eat pretty healthy (avoiding fast food, balanced diet for the most part), but I have never been a big veggie eater.  I get lots of fruit, there are very few that I don't like...but there are so few vegetables that I can eat.  I really wish that I liked salads, the ones my wife gets when we eat out look tasty, but I just don't like them for some reason :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 10:08 AM »
Not the daily recommended dosage, but I do eat a plate of fruit every morning from the tray that my company gets and I try to eat vegetables with dinner every night.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 04:53 PM »
No.

I do not eat many fruits/veggies. I have not had a salad in many years, and I eat fruit every once in a while. I may have some corn, etc at the cottage, but other than that, no.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 09:26 PM »
This thread made me self-concious today.  Since I'm holding off on my diet until after my friends take me out for my birthday tomorrow, I actually had an apple from the company cafeteria today.  Hmm.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2003, 01:47 AM »
I have a salad everyday & eat veggies the odd day. Not much into fruits though, especially bananas as I am allergic to them. They do smell good though!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2003, 11:35 PM »
I'm obsessed with Cantaloupe.  I eat much better now that I have a kid and we have to take care of her eating.  We're fortunate that she loves fruits and veggies.  

I'm also obsessed with red vines and diet Dr. Pepper :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: October 5, 2003, 12:56 AM »
I have a salad every so often, but the only time I eat lettuce is when it's on burgers or Mexican grub.

I eat waaaay too much meat, going by the FDA's lil' chart thingy there.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: October 6, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Mrs OCB was a vegitarian when we first started dating, as a compromise I started eating a less meat and she added turkey and chicken.  As a result we usually have a vegetable at every meal (one I will eat) and we always have fruit around of which I'll eat anything

I love salads, I could eat one for every meal, there are only a few other veggies I will eat though...Cucumbers, Tomatos, Potatos, Corn, Green Beans...and it mainly due to a texture thing I won't eat most cooked veggies but enjoy raw Cauliflower, Broccoli and Carrots

I probably don't eat as much as I should but I am 1000% better than where I used to be :-*