Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Random Thoughts
« on: September 30, 2003, 02:45 PM »
This past weekend I picked up some new display shelving for my collection (thanks to some advice from dustrho..thanks!), and had the chance to look over my collection as I took the figures down, and then put the display back up when I was finished.  I actually have enough room now for all of my collection, ships, figs, etc.  A few things that I noticed while I was looking at the different characters and how to set them up...and this just my opinion.  In many cases, most of the figures prior to POTJ don't seem to look "quite" right with the newer offerings (POTJ, Saga, etc.).  That is, with the exception of the commtech wave.  There are certain other exceptions as well, and I'm not saying all of the POTF2 figures are bad...because they aren't....but they just look...different in some way.  I think sculpting has advanced a little since that time, particular with POTJ, some of Saga, and what we have to look forward to next year.

Also...there are times I wish that things were like the vintage days from the standpoint that each character had only one version in a particular outfit.  Although it is totally my fault because I bought them, the display seems to look strange when you try to set up the Geonosian battle, and have three Jangos to use, in essentially the same outfit.  Same with some of the Anakins (HD, Tatooine, Secret Ceremony), and the Maces (yikes...lollipop, screaming, and deluxe...the deluxe is actually my favorite).  I do realize at the same time that we need to have main characters in the line, and when sculpting has advanced quite a ways...and I get excited when we see new versions coming out (such as 2004 Hoth Luke, Jedi Luke, 2003 Hoth Han, etc.)  That is a little different to me because I usually replace the older, POTF2 versions with the better versions.

Finally, there are still a few that need to be re-done.  I really think that an OT-era Yoda could be remade now, with the sculpting/technology that is available.  The POTF2 ones just don't look overly great to me, although they were nice at the time.  And also, I have to say looking at what is coming in 2004, I am very excited.  Like many of you, I prefer figures this way...similar to what POTJ offered us.  I am very happy to not see any buttons on my figures, and to see them very well sculpted, painted, in some cases a nice base, and articulated well for who the character is.

Anyways, sorry this is so long...I had a break at work here to type something up, so I took the opportunity.  Some of this stuff has been discussed before I know, but these were just some thoughts that crossed my mind when I had some time to spend looking at my collection this weekend, and I felt like posting to see if any of you felt the same way, or differently.  I needed to see what some people's opinions are, other than my wife...who is abundantly supportive, but isn't quite as in to these types of discussions :).  Thanks for letting me rant....looking forward to collecting in 2004!  Feel free to post any of your thoughts on this, or anything else!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 10:25 PM »
Interesting.

I tend to think of the figures as eras more than anything else.  As such, POTF2 strikes me as a sort of He-Man era.  As indicated, sculpting has improved.  So some time around the Commtech (probably much earlier though) the sculpting became quite realistic, at least relative to the orange carded figures.  That is one buff Luke on that orange card.  

At the same time, that sort of stuff doesn't bother me.  Being a tad older, I never actually owned any vintage figures, so to me, they don't bring any childhood memories streaming back to relive.  Oh they're interesting enough and I'm happy I'e started collecting them, but at the same time, some are genuinely, truly crappy looking.  Sorry, but it's how I feel.

New stuff looks great, but then again the Jedi Luke that's most recent really doesn't do that much for me.  There seem to be hits and misses in each line/era.  And that's fine.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 11:06 PM »
This past weekend I picked up some new display shelving for my collection (thanks to some advice from dustrho..thanks...

I'm glad that I was able to give you some insight on how to show off your collection.  Now I'm just hoping that you have a digital camera, so you can take pictures of your collection to share with us all.  I'd really like to see how you set it all up.

Now to what you have written here.  I really found your write-up very interesting.  I have always and will always love the vintage line the best, mainly because it's what I played with as a kid.  I also like them the most because of their natural pose (no action crap and/or buttons sticking out of them), and they're great for army-building.

When POTF2 figures came out back in the mid-90's, I wasn't particulary thrilled with them.  They just looked "odd" to me, and that buffness really looked terrible.

After EP1 figures came out I was totally goo-goo-ga-ga over them, and had to buy all of them.  My EP1 figure collection is finally complete, and these figures have a much better sculpting done versus the POTF2 figures.  Saga, Clone Wars and POTJ figures are very well done (minus the action poses).

I'm kinda in the same boat as you mosnab.  There are several POTF2 figures that I like a lot right now, but there are a few that I think are horrible.

Again, I would love to see pictures of your new setup.   8)
dustrho

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 11:29 PM »
I know the POTF figures are for the most part all buff and stuff, but for some reason I really like them.  But Vintage is by far my favorite line.  I have a POTF Dengar next to a Vintage one, and the POTF one is WAAAAAY bigger, it looks sorta odd.  They are not proportioned.  

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 1, 2003, 01:06 PM »
Ah, the good 'ol Kenner days.  The one version of each figure in a particular outfit idea was one of their best.  Of course, collectors should carry the blame for the endless resculpts we get nowadays.  Hasbro will pump out the 20th version of Maul, Jango, Anakin, and R2, and collectors will be there to gobble it all up.  I mean, when did R2 or Chewie change outfits?!  As far as resculpts are concerned, a resculpt should only be made if it is a significant improvement.  I don't know, I just feel that for every n-th version of the same character we get, it's a cheated opportunity at having an unmade character/alien made.  However, with figs like General Riekkan on the horizon, things are looking up....

With the exception of the Death Star Gunner & TIE-Fighter Pilot, most of the orange carded POTF2 stuff was horrible.  The figures were too buff, the proportions were way off, the likeness was poor, etc.  It wasn't until 1997 (green carded era) that Hasbro started pumping out some real nice stuff.  I'm still very fond of most of my POTF2 collection, particularly the stuff made from the freeze frame era and on.  Hasbro seems to have hit their mark with POTJ.  Saga is a great line, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.  Action features should be banned forever.  Metal lightsabers with removable blades should be a standard, and the lightsaber handle should be attachable to the fig's belt.  Jedi figs should have the ability to hold a lightsaber with both hands.  Dynamic poses should only be used when necessary.  Using gummy plastic/cheap materials for making accessories/figures should be a big no-no.  I guess sometimes simpler is better.  Maybe that's why vintage figs have so much appeal.  :)                  

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2003, 01:09 PM »
Saga is a great line, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.  Action features should be banned forever.  Metal lightsabers with removable blades should be a standard, and the lightsaber handle should be attachable to the fig's belt.  Jedi figs should have the ability to hold a lightsaber with both hands.  Dynamic poses should only be used when necessary.  Using gummy plastic/cheap materials for making accessories/figures should be a big no-no.  I guess sometimes simpler is better.  Maybe that's why vintage figs have so much appeal.  :)    

You hit the nail on the head!   8)
dustrho

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2003, 02:14 PM »
Saga is a great line, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.  Action features should be banned forever.  Metal lightsabers with removable blades should be a standard, and the lightsaber handle should be attachable to the fig's belt.  Jedi figs should have the ability to hold a lightsaber with both hands.  Dynamic poses should only be used when necessary.  Using gummy plastic/cheap materials for making accessories/figures should be a big no-no.  I guess sometimes simpler is better.  Maybe that's why vintage figs have so much appeal.    

You hit the nail on the head!  

I agree totally, this is exactly what I was thinking too when I was rambling that off :).  Sometimes simpler is better!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2003, 03:28 PM »
I also completely agree.  Simpler is better.   ;D  It's why some of the most 'boring' figures in the POTJ line, Bespin Guard, Duros, BoShek, are some of the best Hasbro has ever done.  When they make figures like that, nobody can touch them.  I look forward to next year and the already great POTJ style goodness we have coming.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2003, 03:38 PM »
What is actually in a hot dog?

Who thought up the idea of the flamethrower?  

Why is the sky blue?

Will a penny, if dropped from the Empire State Building, actually go through someone's head?  If so, what would that look like?

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2003, 03:41 PM »
Seriously, I believe POTJ, sculpt wise, was the best line we've gotten so far.  Saga has been hit or miss - action features = ****, neutral posed and accurancy = the balls.

Later this year and next year looks like its shaping up to be good and hopefully when the next random thoughts is posted, I'll be saying Saga 2004 was the best.
Common sense isn't so common