Author Topic: Scarface DVD... with rap stuff in it?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Scarface DVD... with rap stuff in it?
« on: September 30, 2003, 08:56 PM »
Okay, I bought the Scarface DVD... Widescreen, of course... anycrap, I look at the cover, and on the inside, and there's some Def Jam stickers and advertisment garbage in it... I tossed it away, so to be honest, I didn't even read it - I just found it rather silly- I was wondering if anyone read the junk before throwing it away.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
Re: Scarface DVD... with rap stuff in it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 09:32 PM »
Damn black people and their rap music...   ::)
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 09:38 PM »
I was actually on their website earlier today checking it out, and there's a lot of stuff that comes with that special edition DVD.

http://www.scarface-dvd.com
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 10:13 PM »
Apparently it's being pushed as a 'Hip Hop Classic'...  ::)

At least the movie hasn't been 'Special Editioned' with a hip hop soundtrack... Still the same ol' 80's stuff.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 10:15 PM »
I haven't bought it yet, but I'll probably just get the DVD and not the box set that comes with all the extra goodies.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 10:30 PM »
Watching the 'Hip Hop' special right now... I'll edit this with thoughts in a moment.

EDIT - Okay its essentially a bunch of rappers talking about how they went through 'the struggle' and this movie taught them a life lesson. :-/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 10:46 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 10:32 PM »
AE just a question...

Are you at all a bigot?

And why does the rap world consume you so much...
Most people I know that dislike rap never give it a second though...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 10:51 PM »
AE just a question...

Are you at all a bigot?

And why does the rap world consume you so much...
Most people I know that dislike rap never give it a second though...

Because I think rap music sucks these days, you think I'm a bigot? I just think its stupid that these rappers are on the Scarface DVD, doing nothing more but quoting Tony Montana and talking about 'the struggle'.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 11:04 PM »
The thing is is that it is easily passable... If you hate it so much why bother even watching it...

I'm not saying it was a needed part of the set but either way I could care. Also do you think that many rappers these days didn't struggle before they broke big???

Have you ever been through a real honest to goodness ghetto... or deprived area?

A very good majority of rappers came from the streets... though yes there are those that didn't... but I feel quite certain saying that not many (if any) lived the "good life"...

I dunno I just see things much clearer and have had first hand experience w/ people of "this nature"... Like every race on the planet there are some good and some bad...
Though understand that some rap what they know about... not all but some...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 11:23 PM »
I paid for the DVD, I'm going to check out all the features.

As always, you think you have a clearer image of everything, Jimmy, which is why I'm not bothering arguing with you. You assume that you know more than everybody else, and the fact is - you make an ass of yourself by assuming.

This is all I've got to say, I'm through with you on this topic.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 11:52 PM »
Brad YOU tell me what were my assumptions???

Also FYI I dj'd for sometime and also worked in a club for sometime where I spun Hip Hop (nevermind parties)... I was involved w/ Hip Hop and a lot of people in that field for quite some time. Are you trying to tell me I know nothing about it?

They relate to people like Scarface because he came from nothing... like so many of them do.

You just like to voice your opinions though hate when someone retorts w/ their own... Tell me BRAD how much involvement have you had in the Hip Hop community to make all the stereo typical statements you do?

You lump everyone into the same category because you see the negative in "some"... Like I told you there is far more out there than Puff Daddy and the like...

If you truly believe many of the rappers out there did not come from hard situations then you need to take them rose colored glasses off...

Truth be told half your rock, alternative, metal, and new school punk come from far better situations than these rappers...

As for your comment on I think I know more than everybody else... Well, honestly that just shows your age Brad... There are more out there that know FAR more than I do... but I'm much more mature enought o understand that.

Do yourself a favor though and stop generalizing things YOU know nothing of... Just because BRAD doesn't like it doesn't mean it sucks there bud.

You hate Hip Hop and it's state but seem to be overly obsessed w/ bashing it any chance you can... I know I spend all my time on things I hate so much too...

If you know more than me on this topic feed me the proof and I'll eat crow Brad...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2003, 12:03 AM »
OK...

TIME OUT

Can someone with more knowledge of Scarface than I do (all I know is he has a "Little Friend") Explain what the Hip Hop/Def Jam/Rap connection is to the movie...

And guys both of you need to simmer down...I'm guessing based on Brad's original post he doesn't know the connection either

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2003, 12:08 AM »
I said I was done with you. Here's why, and in chronilogical order :

I just see things much clearer and have had first hand experience w/ people of "this nature"...
Brad YOU tell me what were my assumptions???
As for your comment on I think I know more than everybody else... Well, honestly that just shows your age Brad...
Do yourself a favor though and stop generalizing things YOU know nothing of...

Better be sure.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 2003, 12:52 AM »
I remember when I watched a mini-marathon of MTV Cribs, and nearly every rapper they talked to made reference to the movie 'Scarface.' One dude even had a bigass poster of the art in his living room. So that's probably why they had all the Def Jam stuff in the case--marketing to what they perceive to be their biggest single market.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2003, 12:57 AM »
You've proven what point Brad?

I thought so...  ::)

Brad again answer my question or feed me my proof...
Don't dance around the issue w/ bull sh** you do...

Scott the connection is just that many rappers see the life of Scarface as their own. He came from nothing and made himself a nice life (crooked yes... but)... until well he got caught up.

Even though it was a movie they do realize that you work hard enough and you can do it in life. You can get yourself from out of the streets, projects and the like.

Plus take into account that many hustle like Tony did... and if people know about the music industry that itself is a huge game of hustle...

It's something they adopted basically... There have been countless songs that sampled lines from the movie... The Ghetto Boys (from "My mind is playing Tricks on me" fame) used a lot from Scarface on their first album.

It's nothing new... and if you knew Hip Hop you'd know it has been going on for years. Just like other films such as The Warriors (etc)...

There's no "Def Jam" connection beyond this dvd... which was obviously all about promotion. Also there's an album out dedicated to Scarface or something to that effect...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan