Author Topic: Happy Holidays from Local 1428  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Happy Holidays from Local 1428
« on: December 12, 2003, 07:57 PM »
As most of you know I have been out on strike since October 11 with my local Union.  Today just 13 days before Christmas they (the Union Heads) decided to cut our pay by more then half. I'm a courtesy clerk and affective this Sunday I'm going to be pickiting for $2.50 a hour for a maxium 30 hours for a total of $75 dollars a week.  All other clerks are getting $125 dollars a week.  Next week I need to start looking for another job so that I can live my life and be able to go to school and pay bills next month.  This strike sucks big time.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Happy Holidays from Local 1428
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:29 PM »
Really sorry to hear that Tom, and yeah - the timing definitely blows...   :-\  Hang in there man, and hopefully something else pops up for you job-wise!  Good luck.

- M

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 11:59 PM »
How's this one for a Union screwing people at X-Mas time though...

My mother cleans for USWA Local 1138 in Leechburg, PA.  This is my father's Steel Worker's local union, and my mother takes care of cleaning their union hall.

It's a relatively piddling job...  She did it in the evenings for only about an hour and made a minimal monthly salary but it was a little extra for my mom that she needs.

So, this past year we come to find out the Union's representatives have steadily and slowly been screwing the Union out of $...  Taking unnecessary trips to expensive resorts for "meetings".  Not sharing rooms with other members but rather everyone getting a single room...  Little unchecked crap like this.

This year, they realize that they're going into debt.  They restructure some things (None of the reps took a paycut though) and asked my mother to take a 50% paycut yet STILL do the same ammount of work, PLUS they're planning to rent the Union Hall out to the public and expect my mother to take on t hat work without any increase.

So my mother refused and accepted a 50% paycut with also a 50% job description cut.  

Fair right?

Well, the one guy...  William Ahl, is a trustee and my mother's supervisor.  He's one of the doofuses renting the hall out to a group he belongs to that does square dancing or line dancing.  Some stupid **** like that.

He demanded my mother start cleaning more...  My mother refused and old "Bill" and my dad almost came to blows over it.  

Then, this week, my mother was again demanded to do something.  Meet with them at 4 p.m. an evening she wasn't supposed to work.  She went in, and they fired her...  Told her "Your services are no longer  needed...  But you're not fired".  

One guy, who is completely ball-less, was profusely apologizing.  Bill Ahl was there and was just snide and rude to my mother.  

We've since found out the secretary also went behind my mother's back and is "helping out" by doing some cleaning in her own office to help the Union (She did it to save her own job).  

HOw's that for a merry X-Mas?

Needless to say there's a couple mill guys who have gotten wind of my displeasure with them and are now avoiding their usual hangouts.  

And Bill Ahl walks approximately 500 feet out of his way to get his coffee now because he works in the same building as my father and is too afraid to go near him even in the building.  

It's not so bad if they'd just have said to my mother that after 14 years of working without ever missing one day that they simply couldn't afford to pay her any longer.  What's bad is they out and out lied to her, tried forcing her to do work for nothing, and are taking absolutely NO blame for their situation themselves.

Well, that and they're all really 2-faced cowards to boot.

The funny thing is that my mom's getting 6 month of unemployment that is the full price she'd have made every month anyway, so basically the Union goofed itself over in the long run and will be paying out part of that themselves.

Bunch...  of....  morons.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 02:25 AM »
My mother cleans for USWA Local 1138...

1138?  How cool is that?!   8)   :P

Sh!tty about your mom though Jess.  Hopefully things work out though, and she bounce back with something even better.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 06:03 AM »
Thanks Matt,

It was a piddling job anyway, and my mother doesn't care ultimately because she'll find something else that fits in it, but damned if the way they handled it wasn't typical of the lowest people on Earth.  

Sadly, this is the mentality of the people who run this union.  USWA is rotten with corruption from the top officials down to the local reps.  It's pathetic on so many levels.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 12:27 AM »
 >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.