Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85954 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Playoffs!
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking much the same thing on the officiating Scott.  I was happy that Peja missed, and the Wolves won, but was thinking "you know, if that play would have been the other way around, I would have been screaming for a foul".  But, like you said, the Wolves kind of got screwed earlier on on a couple of calls, particularly that traveling call.  I guess there is always bad calls though, and pretty much all three of these games could have gone either way.  I'm just glad Minny was able to come out on top.  I keep thinking how much of a help it would be to have Troy Hudson backing Cassell up right now, Sczerbiak might not hurt either, although they play well without him (or both of them actually) too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Hudson is more missed than Wally thanks to the play of both Hassell and Hoiberg, without them Kings might be up 3-0.  Wally has barely played all year too so they know how to win without him.  Hudson is a huge step up from Derrick Martin however, he was always instant O off the bench when Cassell sat down, now Martin is more of cross your fingers and hope Sammy is back soon

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2004, 11:45 AM »
Exactly.  I agree totally, and Hassell and Hoiberg have been huge in the playoffs (and during the season as well).  Great pickups from Chi-town, and great components to the team.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2004, 11:52 AM »
Interesting bit of info regarding Hoiberg. I attented college at ISU pretty much the same time he did and we even had a same class together. Marketing 340, it was. I even recall sitting directly behind him a couple times. Who'd a known he'd be a key part of the Wolves bench at the time.  :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #214 on: May 12, 2004, 03:16 AM »
I'm thinking the Spurs will take one tonight...

:-*

My boys had me a little worried again through the first half of tonight's game, but the "good Lakers" finally showed up for the second half and took over the game, thank God.  Kobe went for 42, Shaq for 28.  That'll usually get it done, along with some decent D, which they also played in the second half tonight.  All tied up again.  Best of 3 now, but heading back to San Antonio for Game 5.  I'm feeling much better about things, but if that well oiled machine that can be the Spurs shows up again, it'll be nervous time some more.  But as long as Kobe and Shaq are both "into the game", I just don't think we can lose.  But them both being into it at the same time quite often doesn't happen.

Last year, the Lakers were in the exact same position at this point, and were one quarter inch from Horry's buzzer beating, game winning 3 point shot going down against the Spurs to take a 3-2 lead.  Unfortunately, that quarter inch cost us, and Horry's potential game winner went half way down the net and somehow came back out (which essentially kept us from 4-peating), and we wound up tanking in 6 back in L.A.  So hopefully Game 5 in San Antonio goes a little differntly than last years.  But like Phil Jackson said before tonight's game about how the Lakers would play:  "You just never know with these guys.  Sometimes they show up and are inspired, and sometimes they're not.  We'll just have to wait and see which Lakers team shows up tonight."  We'll have to wait and see who hits the floor for the next game...

As for the Wolves, damned lucky to scratch that one out, after giving it all away at the end of the fourth there.  Crazy finish for that game.  Yeah, that Peja shot is probably usually a foul, but just like you guys said, I said exactly the same thing to Patty:  The refs blew some calls shortly before that in Sacto's favor, so I'm glad to see them let this one slide and even things out.  Plus, I'm rooting for KG and the Wolves too, so I'm glad they squeeked that one out.  Hopefully we get to hang out together in Round 3!   ;)

Nets sure came back against the Pistons too.  Looking pretty tight there now, and even though Detroit's got the insane defense, the Nets have way more playoff experience, which I really think may pay off as this series winds down.  I think I'd rather see the Pistons win it though, just 'cause the Nets have already been to the finals a couple times, and I don't care much for K-Mart.  Nice to see the Heat take one too!  Sure, the Pacers will take it, but like Brian said, it's always nice to see the underdogs make some noise.  And yeah - that Ward dunk was absolutely SICK!   8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 04:55 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2004, 10:23 AM »
I'm shocked that the Lakers won by as big of a margain as they did, the Spurs looked like they had the game well in hand when I went to bed at Halftime (hey I have a 2 week old OK :P) So to see them lose by 8 was surprising.  As much as I cannot stand Crybaby, the dude is amazing.  Totally and utterly amazing.  He can have awful stretches (such as the first half of the Wolves/Lakers game I went to) but when he is "on" there is nobody in the NBA who is more fun to watch.  Too bad he'll be in jail next year

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2004, 12:38 AM »
Wolves were down by 17, down by 2 going into the 4th.  I really need to go to bed though...ugh.  Somebody tell me what happens (only if the Wolves win though)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2004, 04:05 AM »
Somebody tell me what happens (only if the Wolves win though)

Uh, OK...

Pretty cool that all four of the second round series are locked up at 2 apiece now.  Doesn't get much better than that, and it almost makes up for that horrifically boring first round.  Almost.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2004, 09:37 AM »
I agree Matt, I'm kind of enjoying the good competition in this second round....2-2's all around.  Happy to see the Heat pull another one out last night, sure would have liked to see the Wolves win though.  I stayed up for the game again (why are they all so late?) :P  Lasted until about 12:30 our time, which might not be so late to some...but between moving and not sleeping well, I needs me rest :).  Anyways, I am glad to see good competition all around in this round, much better than the 1st.  Spurs-Lakers in primetime for all to see on ABC tonight, should be a good one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2004, 09:56 AM »
Wolves are playing pretty bad and realistically should have been swept, their turnover numbers are horrendous, totally out of line especially when they were one of the leagues best at not turning it over.  A lot of that is due to the physical nature of the playoffs, they are much more of a finesse team and don't know how to get tough

My predictions right now:

Wolves in 7
Lakers in 7
Pacers in 6
Nets in 7

This is great, really doesn't get any better than this.  Although, if your team is in the Stanley Cup PLayoffs, they are much much more exciting IMO.  But I also live in the State of Hockey

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2004, 10:53 PM »
HOLY SH!T WHO just saw that game>???????

Duncan hit an impossible shot to seal the deal with 0.4 seconds left and Fisher actually got off a shot to win it...that has to be the most amazing 1 second of NBA Basketball in history!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2004, 11:22 PM »
HOLY SH!T WHO just saw that game>???????

Duncan hit an impossible shot to seal the deal with 0.4 seconds left and Fisher actually got off a shot to win it...that has to be the most amazing 1 second of NBA Basketball in history!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was impressive, no doubt about it :o  Much as I hate the Laker and I'm sure Spurs fans are in disbelief, Fisher clearly got it off and the Lakers definitely won it.  Wow.  

Just Wow. :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2004, 01:13 AM »

Wow.  

Just Wow. :o

Funny, but that's exactly what I was going to say!  Absolutely amazing finish, and without Kobe no less.  Granted he hit the potential winner with about 12 seconds left, only to have Duncan hit what looked like a "Kobe-esque" winner with .4 left.  THAT shot was even more amazing - the fallaway 21 footer, Shaq right in his face, etc.  Amazing.

Which set up the even more beautiful shot of Fisher's, which will hopefully stick a dagger right through the Spurs hearts so we can finish this up on Saturday back at home.  If you caught the postgame press conference, the Spurs were absolutely devastated and heartbroken.  Priceless.  Duncan looked like he was about to cry (which isn't really an unusual look for him, but even moreso this time), and Popovich said the only thing worse than this would be having to serve in Iraq right now.  Of course he's also crying foul, saying that BOTH the ref and their own clock operator started the clock too late.  Horse$h!t.

Patty was actually crying after Duncan hit his shot, but when Fisher shockingly hit his, she flew off the couch and gave me a huge bearhug from behind (I was standing in front of the TV), and pretty much almost ripped my appendectomy scars right back open!  I was still so PISSED OFF at how the Lakers played for the last quarter and a half, that I didn't get very emotional with Fisher's shot, other than just a subtle "Thank God".  We really didn't deserve it.

Phil definitely didn't deserve it.  I'll reiterate: He's a horrible game coach.  When we pulled out to our 16 point lead with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, it was almost exclusively due to Devean George's surprisingly incredible play.  He was absolutely in the zone, and not just offensively, but defensively too.  He hit like three 3's in a row, along with a MONSTER dunk, and on the other end had 2 or 3 steals and several other forced turnovers during the quarter too.  He was absolutely EN FUEGO.  So what does the "greatest"  ::) coach in NBA history do?  He inexplicably pulls him.   >:(  No reason whatsoever.  Just pulls him right in the middle of his incredible run.  As soon as Phil did that, the Lakers went COMPLETELY FLAT for the rest of the game, scoring all of 13 total points after that brilliant move.  Phil doesn't get it, and he never will.  He's atrocious, and with that one bonehead move tonight, he almost cost us the entire Championship.

Oh, and by the way, Shaq was pulling some kind of Kobe routine, and NOT shooting the ball most of the not.  Not even WANTING to shoot the ball.  Whenever it went in to him throughout the first 3 quarters, he just passed it right back out, like he wanted no part of it.  He finally looked somewhat interested early in the fourth, but just barely.  11 points total for him I think, only 4 of which came in the first half.  So there's some other stupid ass developing Laker drama there.  But hopefully Fisher's miracle shot will help everyone to look past it and forget about it, including Shaq.

Anyway, we still have one huge win to go against the Spurs, who I'm not discounting at all yet.  Anything can happen, especially when these Lakers are on the floor...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 01:59 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2004, 10:07 AM »
We'll be seeing those 2 shots for the rest of our lives, it still is amazing that they both happened.  I think Duncan's was luckier, no way in hell that one should have even been close.  Fisher's at least was an awesome look, I thought they were going to oop it to Malone at the basket, didn't think about having Fisher take it.  Amazing

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2004, 11:22 AM »
No way is Jackson the best coach in NBA history.  Red Auerbach.  You can hate the Celtics all you want, but Jackson isn't even close.  He's coaching in the era of buying up players, the Lakers having a pile of them.  

Saw the Spurs were protesting the clock and they may have a point.  But too bad, suck it up.  Had it been going the other way, they wouldn't have complained.  I hate that about sports.  You lost, however it works, you lost.  Play the next game, win in LA and go back home to finish them off.  

Best part was the announcers after Duncan's shot during the time out saying the game was over.  Oops.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.