Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85900 times)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Playoffs!
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2004, 04:07 PM »
The Diesel summed it up best..."one lucky shot deserves another."  

Chalk that one up for the big aristotle, go Lakers!

-Fish-  

Wow.  

Just Wow. :o

Funny, but that's exactly what I was going to say!  Absolutely amazing finish, and without Kobe no less.  Granted he hit the potential winner with about 12 seconds left, only to have Duncan hit what looked like a "Kobe-esque" winner with .4 left.  THAT shot was even more amazing - the fallaway 21 footer, Shaq right in his face, etc.  Amazing.

Which set up the even more beautiful shot of Fisher's, which will hopefully stick a dagger right through the Spurs hearts so we can finish this up on Saturday back at home.  If you caught the postgame press conference, the Spurs were absolutely devastated and heartbroken.  Priceless.  Duncan looked like he was about to cry (which isn't really an unusual look for him, but even moreso this time), and Popovich said the only thing worse than this would be having to serve in Iraq right now.  Of course he's also crying foul, saying that BOTH the ref and their own clock operator started the clock too late.  Horse$h!t.

Patty was actually crying after Duncan hit his shot, but when Fisher shockingly hit his, she flew off the couch and gave me a huge bearhug from behind (I was standing in front of the TV), and pretty much almost ripped my appendectomy scars right back open!  I was still so PISSED OFF at how the Lakers played for the last quarter and a half, that I didn't get very emotional with Fisher's shot, other than just a subtle "Thank God".  We really didn't deserve it.

Phil definitely didn't deserve it.  I'll reiterate: He's a horrible game coach.  When we pulled out to our 16 point lead with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, it was almost exclusively due to Devean George's surprisingly incredible play.  He was absolutely in the zone, and not just offensively, but defensively too.  He hit like three 3's in a row, along with a MONSTER dunk, and on the other end had 2 or 3 steals and several other forced turnovers during the quarter too.  He was absolutely EN FUEGO.  So what does the "greatest"  ::) coach in NBA history do?  He inexplicably pulls him.   >:(  No reason whatsoever.  Just pulls him right in the middle of his incredible run.  As soon as Phil did that, the Lakers went COMPLETELY FLAT for the rest of the game, scoring all of 13 total points after that brilliant move.  Phil doesn't get it, and he never will.  He's atrocious, and with that one bonehead move tonight, he almost cost us the entire Championship.

Oh, and by the way, Shaq was pulling some kind of Kobe routine, and NOT shooting the ball most of the not.  Not even WANTING to shoot the ball.  Whenever it went in to him throughout the first 3 quarters, he just passed it right back out, like he wanted no part of it.  He finally looked somewhat interested early in the fourth, but just barely.  11 points total for him I think, only 4 of which came in the first half.  So there's some other stupid ass developing Laker drama there.  But hopefully Fisher's miracle shot will help everyone to look past it and forget about it, including Shaq.

Anyway, we still have one huge win to go against the Spurs, who I'm not discounting at all yet.  Anything can happen, especially when these Lakers are on the floor...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2004, 04:56 PM »
I see the Spurs were denied an appeal by the NBA on the last shot.  They said the clock started late on the inbounds.  No way, it was clean and its just sour grapes.  I hate both teams equally so I don't really care who wins, both teams give the Wolves matchup problems.  If the Wolves advance I hope it against the Lakers, will make for an interesting time in the JD forums

Huge Game 5 tonight!!!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #227 on: May 14, 2004, 10:05 PM »
Not as good as last night but Chauncy Billups just hit a 30 ft jumper at the buzzer to send it OT, Nets missed 3 out of 4 free throws in the last 12 second

Anyone see that block Jefferson had???  Holy crap that was huge

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2004, 10:29 PM »
Not as good as last night but Chauncy Billups just hit a 30 ft jumper at the buzzer to send it OT, Nets missed 3 out of 4 free throws in the last 12 second

Anyone see that block Jefferson had???  Holy crap that was huge

Not on tv up here :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2004, 10:43 PM »
Well, they are in 2OT...stoopid thing is, they won't switch the game here to the TWolves game so they've been playing the Nets Pistons for the last hour until it is done.  Luckily it is on NBATv and I have digital cable :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 14, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Yeah well, I managed to get the OT score by going to a highlights channel that is broadcasting the Expos game, but they've had a computer error and are giving me a second quarter score now >:(  LMK what happens please.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #231 on: May 14, 2004, 10:59 PM »
3rd OT right now Nets up by 4 though

Wolves up by 4 at the Half 38-34  UGLY game, KG has 7 Turnovers >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2004, 12:46 AM »
WOOHOO!  The Nets pull it out in Triple OT IN DETROIT!  DANG!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2004, 12:55 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaawoooooooooooooooooo

Huge Win tonight Sprewell played like he was possesed.  Kings lack of a bench is haunting them big time now (and the fact that Peeler SUCKS) playing 6 in as tough of games as the last 5 has been is starting to swing the momentum towards MN.  I think the game Sunday will be close...I'm going to say the Wolves win.  Sacto is done.  My other hope is the other series goes 7 so go Spurs!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 01:12 AM by OCB »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2004, 02:12 AM »
Wow - I closed my eyes briefly during the Nets/Pistons first overtime, and woke up almost 3 hours later!  Missed all the fun...   :-\  Glad to see the Wolves held home court, and I really hope they've messed with the Kings heads enough now with another good win, that the Queens will just roll over and give up back in Sacto for Game 6.

Another classic, it looks like, with that 3OT game won by the Nets.  Bummer they pulled it out, spoiling that insane shot by Billups to send it into OT.  Pistons didn't have much firepower left by the end of the game either, with their top 3 players having all fouled out.  That sucked.

But the big party is tomorrow night, and I just PRAY that the Lakers bring their A game, 'cause I do NOT want to go back to San Antonio for Game 7...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2004, 05:57 PM »
Loving the Playoffs all 4 series have been superb.  I was starting to think that the East shouldn't be taken so lightly a few games ago but the Pacers, Pistons and Nets have all looked very ordinary lately.  

Damn Wolves and their turnovers...its just killing them.  They have to start taking better care of the ball or they might lose the series and no way will they get past the next round.  KG was awful last night in the regard

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2004, 01:04 AM »
Not loving this defensive game.  Matt's going to be incorrigible if it keeps going that way.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2004, 02:07 AM »
Who, me?!   ;D

Not loving this defensive game.

Hell, they've pretty much all been this way in the playoffs so far - in almost every series.  Halftime scores in the 30's, 4th quarter scores in the 50's, futility records being set...  It's not just good defense, it's TERRIBLE shooting by everyone.  Spurs shot a horrid percentage for the last several games, but not from a lack of wide open looks.  Hell, we didn't have a defender within 10 feet of them on most of their shots, especially from 3 point range.  Man, I miss the 80's.  Those were fun days, and great basketball to watch.  I'm definitely not a fan of defense and low scoring either - in ANY sport.

That said, all I can say after tonight's game is PHEW!  I just wasn't too sure we were going to do it, but even though we didn't play our A game, the Spurs just stunk the joint up.  With the excpetion of Devin Brown, they didn't have anyone play very well today.  Duncan and Parker pretty much stunk over the past 4 games as well.  Sure, Duncan got his 20 or so points each time, but they were a quiet 20, and mostly came late in the game when the team was already pretty far behind.  So I guess good D by the Lakers, but just some pretty poor play, and terrible shooting by the Spurs.  They definitely weren't playing their best ball all week this week, after looking like a well-oiled machine during their 17 game winning streak.  Can't believe that the same team that won those 17 straight, wound up essentially getting beat 4 in a row by us after that.  They just seemed like a totally different team.  Strange...

To me, THIS series was the real Championship.  Lakers, Spurs, last 5 trophies...  This was the NBA Finals IMO, which makes it seem weird that we're actually only halfway there at this point.  Of course, something weird could happen, and I could wind up eating my words big time later on, but the Spurs were the only team I was honestly concerned about going into the playoffs.  Some sloppy games, and some luck (especially Fisher's shot), but I'm just glad, and extremely relieved, that we came out on top.  See Kobe's monster dunk on Duncan near the end of the fourth?!   :o

So I hope Sacto takes Game 6 against the Wolves, to give us a few extra days to rest, but then I hope the Wolves win it in 7 - 'cause like Scott said, it'll be a little fun around here if we meet up...   ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2004, 08:13 AM »
To me, THIS series was the real Championship.  Lakers, Spurs, last 5 trophies...  This was the NBA Finals IMO
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

1/6/04 Minnesota 106 LA 90
1/30/04 Minnesota 97 LA 84
3/12/04 Minnesota 96 LA 86
3/26/04 LA 90 Minnesota 73

The Wolves and Kings are both WAY better jump shooting teams than the Spurs are, if they play the same Defense against either team its not going to be your team going to the REAL NBA Finals ::)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 08:17 AM by OCB »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2004, 03:40 PM »
 :-*

BTW, Spurs defense is WAY better than the Wolves or Kings.  More than makes up for their subpar jump shooting.  Jump shooting doesn't win championships.  D does.

Prove me wrong, Pup boy.

P.S.  In case you didn't notice, the Lakers are genuinely uninterested in the regular season.  They proved all season that they could give a rat's ass about it.  All about the playoffs baby!  You'll see...   ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 03:53 PM by JediMAC »