Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85011 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The NBA is back!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2003, 02:27 AM »
Well, the kid lived up to the hype - at least for tonight.  LeBron dropped 25 points, 9 assists, 6 boards, 4 steals, and several hi-light plays on Sacto.  He even kept them right in the game up until the last minute and a half when the Kings finally pulled away.  He looked good.  Got his teammates involved, picked his shots pretty well and didn't force anything.  I'm pretty impressed!  Not impressed at all with ESPN choosing to air the overtime of the Knicks/Magic game rather than LeBron's first 10 professional points scored though!  That was pathetic, and very poor choice on their part...   >:(

On a better note - the Spurs got spanked by the happless... Nuggets?!?   :o

Good stuff!  Hell, even Kobe and Shaq have purportedly kissed and made up, and are all buddy-buddy again...   8)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 02:30 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2003, 09:05 AM »
A great "bigger" opening night of NBA last night.  I too was very impressed with LeBron, and he played much better than I even thought he would.  Although I don't expect him to play that well every single game (and no one should really), he has a lot of skills and looks like he could be a tremendous player.  What I'm impressed with more than anything is his court vision and passing skills.  Also, the new-look Nugs beating up on San Anton, Air Canada making a comeback (which I'm glad), and another ugly Knicks game (glad T-Mac and the Magic got the win though).  Looks to be a fun year of NBA action.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 02:31 PM »
A near triple-double by "King James" last night.  Although I'm sure he will have some rought games, he continues to exceed my expectations for him.  Too bad they can't win a game here or there though, although a three game west trip to Sacto, Phx, and Portland isn't the best way to start a season :).

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 05:23 PM »
Where the hell'd that nutty T-Wolves fanatic go...?!  Maybe someone should drop him a line in case he doesn't realize that the season actually already started...   :P

Yeah, another good game for King James (despite the 7 turnovers).  On the other hand, Carmelo Anthony is looking pretty crappy over on the Nuggets, so it looks like all those naysayers predicting Carmelo for ROY instead of LeBron might be sadly mistaken.

What's that?  Oh, you say we're only 2 games into the season so it's a little early to judge?  Yeah, I suppose so, but what the hell...   :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: November 1, 2003, 12:41 PM »
Scott?  61...?   :o   ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: November 1, 2003, 03:24 PM »
Yeah it was a horrible game.  They shot like crap and played horrible D.  Overall very sloppy...

I think they were 0-12 to start the game and were down 10-0 it was ugly :-\

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2003, 03:08 PM »
There sure seems to be a lot of parity in the league this year.  After just 3 or 4 games, there's only 2 undefeated teams left in the league.  One obvious one (Lakers) and one lucky one (Sonics, who have only played the hapless Clippers twice).  A lot of the better teams are taking some surprising losses too.

Not to mention a lot of topline all-star players are currently injured, like Ray Allen, Chris Webber, Elton Brand, Stackhouse, Tim Duncan, Mashburn, Szcerbiak, Pippen, etc.  Hope to see them all back in action soon, since the NBA is not as fun without them.

I just enjoy watching some of those great run-and-gun, excellent passing teams like the Kings, Mavs and Lakers.  Makes it seem like we're back in the 80's again with the higher scoring offenses.  Those were the days!   8)

Anyone see the story that's making the rounds that Phil Jackson orchestrated that whole feud between Shaq and Kobe a week or two ago?  Pretty interesting.  Makes you wonder.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2003, 03:19 PM »
Can you believe how craptacular teams are both shooting and scoring this year???  The Wolves scored 61 last Friday and then held the Raptors to 56 the next night!

The Nuggets scored 7 points in one quarter!

Something is wrong...short training camps, lack of talent...something is wrong :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2003, 03:51 PM »
I agree, this scoring (lack of) is ridiculous.  I really hope that the teams get things figured out, so that we can get back to the high scoring days!  I can understand some 80 point, even 70 point games, but 60's and 50's is a bit too low.  Hopefully it is just early, and things will improve....although scoring has been down in recent years too.  Do they need a little more shooting practice? :P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2003, 04:12 PM »
Well the Bulls are off to another poor season.   Yippee.  I will sit back and watch the Lakers polish off the rest of the NBA teams this season.  I guess the only drama left will be if Kobe can get through the season without getting hit by crazy fans that might throw stuff at him.  Maybe Lebron can throw down a 60 point effort some night :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: November 7, 2003, 02:28 AM »
Eegads, that was a close one tonight!  No idea why the Lakers can't better handle the Spurs without their two best players - Duncan and Parker...  Pretty sad getting forced all the way to the last few seconds of double overtime by the likes of players named Jason Hart and Shane Heal.  Who the hell are those clowns?  Ginobli sure tore us a new one though, nearly going for a triple double.

That's 3 out of 5 victories where the Lakers dorked around and had to fight like hell in the last few minutes of the game to pull out the "W" - against the likes of the Suns, Bucks, and now Duncan-less Spurs.  But put them up against one of the best teams in the league, fully manned, in the Mavericks - and we kick their ass.  Makes no sense, but our play still has much room for improvement.  Granted these guys have only played a few games together, so they're probably still all getting used to eachother.

Oh well, we're still 6.1% of the way to the first undefeated season ever in the NBA!   ;D  At the very least, I think we'll surpass the Bulls record 72 win mark.  Most Laker fans will be pretty disappointed if we don't (assuming no major injuries).  Yeah, I'm probably getting over confident, but what the hell...  We've got four Hall of Famers, so we better be winning every game!   :P  Tough one coming up at New Orleans tomorrow night though...

So where the hell's Brent, and his nonsensical Celtic babbling?!  B?!  You out there bud?  We miss you!  Please come play with us...   :-*
« Last Edit: November 7, 2003, 02:30 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: November 7, 2003, 09:27 AM »
They are not going to win 73 games when Kobe is sitting in some dark jail cell in Colorado :-*

T-Pups are not doing so hot so far, injuries (again) are killing them.  They will turn it around though...I have faith

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 7, 2003, 10:35 AM »
Ahhh, the Lakers struggles with the Spurs absent Duncan has rekindled my interest now :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 7, 2003, 10:47 AM »
I was really surprised at how much the Lakers struggled with San Antonio last night, I figured it would be a blow out.  I guess they did what they needed to do though, win, so what can we really say?  It makes me think it might be competitive at least though, once S.A. gets Duncan and Parker back.  Great game though :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 7, 2003, 01:20 PM »
Huh?  Wha?  Basket weaving?  

Whatchou talkin' 'bout, Willis?   :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.