Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85022 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The NBA is back!
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2004, 10:03 AM »
They said this is not as bad as the NFC winning 15 straight Super Bowls but pretty close...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Yeah, that is a good point Scott....the West powers really seem to keep their teams together for the most part, just interchanging some of the supporting cast or players usually.  Of course, there are always some changes (Wolves adding Cassell/Spree, Lakers adding Malone/Payton, Kings adding Miller, and Spurs adding Nesterovic/Hedo/Horry), but the stars are pretty much always in place, and they build around them.

Also, just saw that news this morning about the Sheed trade.  Nice to hear something go down finally, although I'm not sure why Atlanta did that.  I can only assume that they would let Sheed and Person walk right away this summer, and have some cap room because of it.  Portland should be able to continue to "improve their image" with the additions of these guys though.  Plus, Abdur-Rahim is a pretty good player...although most don't know much about him since he has always played on crappy teams.

On one other note, I have to say now that I think I'm "jumping on" the Timberwolves bandwagon.  Although it will probably look like I'm just being the fair-weather fan...I don't really mean to be.  I haven't had a "team" since the old-days Bulls (and to some extent the Wizards...only because of MJ), and I just can't handle what they have done to that team.  I've always been a big KG fan, and the Timberwolves are the closest NBA team to where we live, so I thought I'd go local too.  More coverage of them around here than other teams too.  I still enjoy watching several other teams as well (Cavs, Nuggets, Kings, Mavericks, Bucks), and I know I can't claim the T-wolves as well as Minnesotans.  It is easier for you people actually living in a state that has professional teams, we just have to pick one around here :P.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2004, 10:08 AM »
I'll take you mosnab, welcome to the club, me you and Brent will make a powerful cheering section come playoff time

The cap room thing is risky, all you need to do is look at the Bulls who were supposed to sign KG or T-Mac, hmmmmm

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Coaches continue to drop like flies in the East....Philly's Randy Ayers is the latest coaching casualty:

Sixers Fire Ayers

There's not going to be any coaches left in the East at this rate :P.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Well, looks like it is a done deal now, 'Sheed is moving on to Detroit.  Here's the details, courtesy of ESPN.com:

Pistons Get: Rasheed Wallace, Mike James
Celtics Get:  Lindsey Hunter, Chucky Atkins, Pistons No.1 Pick and cash
Hawks Get:  Chris Mills, Zeljka Rebraca, Bob Sura, and Detroit First rounder (via Milwaukee)

Even though Rasheed is somewhat crazy, he is talented...could really change the look of the Pistons.  Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace, and Wallace.  Pretty good starting 5.

Also, a couple other trades in the books this morning (both involving the Jazz), although not as major:

Utah Gets: Gordon Giricek
Magic Gets: DeShawn Stevenson

Utah Gets: Tom Gugliotta, two future first rounders
Phoenix Gets: Keon Clark, Ben Handlogten

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Everything is proceeding as I have planned

W. Szczerbiak    16 3-6 0-1 0-0 0 2 1 0 0 0 2 6

TWolves ripped the Kings tonight, tomorrow night the Pistons and Sunday the Spurs (I'll be there), great start to a great weekend of hoops

Exciting!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2004, 02:47 PM »
I was thrilled to see 'Sheed get tossed down to the lowly Hawks, so I'm obviously disappointed to see him turn right around and head to one of the top contenders in the East.   :-\  I wanted him to suffer some serious misery down there in Hotlanta.  Hope he can find some new doobie smokin' pals on the Pistons!

The Lakers continue on with their season long turmoil, and it's really getting annoying!   >:(  Payton just got ejected for the 3rd time in the last 10 games (very 'Sheed like) and looked like he tried to BITE Speedy Claxton, Kobe won't shut up about testing the free agent market, contract extension talks with Phil Jackson have just been suspended for the rest of the season, Shaq and Kobe keep bickering, Malone's still out for another month, most of our team has been injured for a large portion of the season - not just the 4 stars, Kobe's talking crap about Phil, several anonymous Laker players are supposedly talking crap about Kobe, Shaq's been skipping practices and getting fined, etc., etc., etc...  Oy.   ::)

Nice smackdown of the Kings by the Pups last night.  Definitely sticks them back in the top spot for now!  You go ahead and bandwagon up with Scott and his boys there Brian.  I won't be too offended!   ;)  Actually, my wife loves Garnett and (don't tell Scott this) is usually rooting for the T-Wolves as a distant second to the Lakers.  Honestly, I kinda like the guy too...   :-[

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2004, 01:43 PM »
So yeah the Spurs beat the Wolves on Sunday.  It was a pretty bad game for the Wolves, KG was tired, Wally looked awful, Cassel was in foul trouble, the refs made some bad calls, they had a chance to tie or win and they didn't get a shot off ::)

Big game tonight though again, Nets come to town on a 14 game winning streak, perfect time to break that streak.  Possible Finals matchup too...correct?  :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Yep, I'd agree on the finals.  It sure isn't going to be the Celtics :'(  I take that recent trade to indicate that they are starting a rebuilding situation.  Well, that and some of the other trades.  Ainge going to get his own way?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2004, 03:49 PM »
Yeah, that was a heartbreaker to the Spurs on Sunday Scott.  Should be a great game tonight, kind of wish it was on ESPN so I could watch it.  The more I watch/listen to/read about Kevin Garnett, the more I think he is one of the class acts in the league today...on and off the court.  One of the biggest reasons I like the Wolves as well, I have always had respect for him.  Also...I hope you finals prediction is right  ;)

Offline D-Miles23

• Youngling
  • I like Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2004, 04:03 PM »
My Knicks took a pretty brutal loss last night... I knew they weren't going to win but I started thinking, hey, maybe they stand a chance! They did too, until the 4th when they apparently disappeared. At least Tim Thomas and Nazr finally turned it on last night. And I hate to say it because he's always been my favorite player, but Penny has been having some very un-clutch performances as of late... I hope it's just a temporary slump...

WE NEED HOUSTON BACK!
Yahtzee

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Talk about a brutal loss, anyone catch the highlights of the Laker game tonight?  Wow.  My boys were getting spanked BADLY all game by 'Melo and the Nuggets, as they shot 60%+ and led by double digits almost throughout.  But the Lakers went on an 11-0 run in the last few minutes, and then had several amazing plays in the last couple minutes, all leading up to Luke Walton driving the lane, and dishing out to Kareem Rush, who hit a three with 3 seconds left to win the game by 1 point.  Amazing.  Two of our scrubs gettin' it done...   8)

5 in a row, with the Kings tomorrow night.  Watch out Scott, 'cause we're back!   :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2004, 12:01 AM »
What no mention of the Nets Wolves???  The score was 36-36 at halftime, final was a respectable 81-68 victory, my confidence is back after Sundays crushing defeat, I'm thinking at least #2 seed right now with a real shot at #1

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2004, 09:30 PM »
I gotta show some love for the local team.  

Go Lakers!  JediMac are you the only big Laker fan in this thread?  I'm about to finish my first year of coaching youth basketball in two weeks and hope to be able to have time to catch some more games, especially in HD.

I had the joy of taking the family to NBA All Star Weekend a few weeks ago.  We went on the day that they had the Rookie and Sophmore Practices.  We were in the second row and got to see Amare, Yau, Carmello, and Lebron.

The coolest part was that at the end of the Rookie Practice Lebron and Carmello did a dunk contest for the crowd.  Lebron was jumping out of the gym, The crowd went bananas!  Too bad he did not enter the dunk contest.  I guess too much to loose if he did bad.  

We were also right next to Laker Great's.  Kareem and A.C.

Then I went to Universal Studios on Monday and was in the Shrek 3D show when I realized I was sitting next to none other then Kenny "the jet" Smith.  Nice guy, exchanged a few words with him.

-Fish-
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 11:44 PM by FishEyedLouie »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2004, 11:36 PM »

"Now there are 2 of them" >:(