Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85629 times)

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: The NBA is back!
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2004, 12:01 PM »
"Small Ball" is so far a success! Since switching to small ball, the Mavs are 6-0 and the margin of victory has been over 10 points in each game. Dallas is averaging 121.7 ppg and the average victory margin is 18.5 points. 4 of those teams are Western COnference playoff teams.

BUT Finley is hurt again. He may not play tonight. The upside is that our rookie Josh Howard has made the most of his playing time all season. 5 Maverick players are averaging 14 ppg or better.

I'm feeling pretty good about our chances in the playoffs.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Well, at least the Lakers finally bounced back a little last night against the Griz.  After two lackadaisical games where they got spanked at home, they again came out completely FLAT, handing Memphis an 18 point lead on a silver platter.

But Kobe finally got them jumpstarted with several SICK plays!  Did you guys catch the highlights?  Kobe got in a jam in the middle of the key, and threw himself a pass off the backboard in the middle of heavy traffic for a layin off the glass.  Then he had a steal on the next play for another deuce (and 1), followed by another alley-oop pass off the backboard from Payton for a Kobe dunk.  7 points in about 40 seconds, and they Lakers were back in gear and squeeked past the Griz finally, mid way through the fourth.

Fun watching Sacto go down to the lowly Suns too!  Can't believe they hung on.  The Queens are going to be having another brain meltdown as we head into town tomorrow for she showdown for #1 in the Pacific.  Should be fun!  Glad the T-Wolves slapped 'em around a couple nights earlier!  Our only hope at getting the #1 spot is if the Wolves lose BOTH of their remaining games, which will doubtfully happen.  Hopefully we can hang on to #2 though, which should set up a Western Conference title showdown between the Lakers and Pups, and more smack talk than Scott (and Jim, Jeff, Brent, et al) can possibly handle!   :-*

Of course, with the Lakers lack of interest and effort of late, who knows...  They might get the traditional T-Wolve first round slap - right outta the show.   :-\  If they do, I will personally go down to the Staples Center and urinate all over the front doors.  So there.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Damn Spurs...lose a game why don't you???  Looks like the Lakers will be a #4 seed which means they'll have to win two road series, so much for running the table huh Matt?  Mavs and Griz are sputtering too

Spurs or the Wolves will be the Western Conf champ...mark my words...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Definitely going to be an interesting playoffs this year, especially in the West.  Kind of an odd game for the Lakers yesterday from what I saw with the highlights.  Kobe passing up shots, Shaq not getting many off, and just inconsistent play.  I'm sure they'll get things together come playoff time though, they usually seem able to.  I'd really like to see them match up with the Grizzlies in the 1st round, not sure if that will happen or not though.

Hoping the Wolves can hang on to that top spot in the West, that will help them a lot (psychologically too I think).  Spurs are playing great ball at the right time again, and look tough for the postseason.  Sacto impressed me being able to beat the Lakers, didn't think they would.  Maybe they'll be ready too.  And a heck of the battle going on for that 8th spot in the West too.  Mavs have been playing better with the small ball lineup lately too, not sure how that will translate in the playoffs...maybe winning one round, depending on who they play.  Can't wait for all the playoff goodness to get going though, its going to be fun to watch this year.  Not sure about the East, probably comes down to the Pistons or Pacers...or possibly the Nets.  Glad to see teams like Milwaukee and Miami in there though, some fun teams to watch as far as the East goes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 12:21 PM by mosnab »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2004, 12:22 PM »
What's that sound I hear coming out of the west?  Silence? :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2004, 12:29 PM »
No doubt these will be some of the greatest playoffs of recent times...the west especially...the top 7 seeds could have a shot at beating the Pacers/Nets/Pistons I feel

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2004, 01:20 PM »
No doubt these will be some of the greatest playoffs of recent times...the west especially...the top 7 seeds could have a shot at beating the Pacers/Nets/Pistons I feel

Yup, but as Matt has pointed out before, the Western Conference final is pretty much the league final.  Seeing the NBA championship round go to 5 games will likely be an accomplishment :-*  Meh, more time for golf in June.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2004, 02:29 AM »
Looks like the Lakers will be a #4 seed which means they'll have to win two road series, so much for running the table huh Matt?

Uh...  Who the hell would be so stupid as to make such an asinine prediction?!?  Surely not I...   ::)   :-[

The Lakers are pathetic.  No idea what the hell goes on these guy's heads sometimes.   >:(  Kobe hasn't scored, and has only attempted THREE shots midway through the third quarter...  WTF is that all about?  I'll tell you what.  He heard more gripes about his ball hogging, and said "OK, let's see what YOU guys can do without me," and then proceeded to intentionally be completely uninvolved in practically the entire game.  Why Phil doesn't chew his ass out for that and tell him to start putting some shots up is beyond me.  Another reason why I think Phil isn't nearly the coach everyone makes him out to be.  He may be good at "pre-game planning", but his gametime motivational skills and coaching leave a LOT to be desired IMO.

I've been pretty unimpressed with Payton most of the year, especially his defense (granted, he doesn't get the ball or the shots as much as he's used to), but now I've even noticed that Malone is getting WORKED over on defense as well, especially the boards.  As much as I hate to say it, and as much as I've been trying to ignore it, these guys are really starting to show their age, and prove that they're well past their prime.   :-\  I knew they wouldn't play like they did during the prime of their careers, but what I've seen from them throughout much of the season is far less than what I expected when we signed them.

Add to that whatever the hell problems Shaq and Kobe are going through, and our pathetically underachieving bench (and the usual injuries), and you've got a recipe for disaster.  If 4 Hall of Famers (five with the coach), including 2 in their prime, can't pull their $h!t together here, you're gonna have one helluva lot of pissed off fans here in SoCal.

Meanwhile, the Wolves and Spurs continue to steamroll into the playoffs.  Right now, I'd have to say they're the teams to beat, even though I still think my boys will pull it together and get the job done in the end.  Sacto even got spanked again tonight by the lowly Nuggets.  They're in the toilet even worse than we are right now!  Damned Lakers...

Go Clippers!   8)

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2004, 02:34 AM »

What - you dissin' the #8 seed out west?  :P I didn't think "Nuggets" and "playoffs" were supposed to be in the same sentence....
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2004, 02:42 AM »
...Sacto even got spanked again tonight by the lowly Nuggets...

I think I dissed 'em a little worse Matt!   :-*  Guess my post was too long to make it all the way to the end though, eh?!   :P

But I'll admit, it is pretty surprising and amazing (and impressive) to see the Nugg's in there.  Amazing what a difference a year can make!  Too bad you guys will only last all of 3 games when you get there though.   ;)

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2004, 10:35 AM »
...Sacto even got spanked again tonight by the lowly Nuggets...

I think I dissed 'em a little worse Matt!   :-*  Guess my post was too long to make it all the way to the end though, eh?!   :P

But I'll admit, it is pretty surprising and amazing (and impressive) to see the Nugg's in there.  Amazing what a difference a year can make!  Too bad you guys will only last all of 3 games when you get there though.   ;)

Yeah, true, I don't know how I missed your comment, Matt.  :o

No doubt that the Nuggets will have a rough first-round matchup, but for a team as young as they are, just the experience of being in the playoffs should be helpful down the road in the next few years.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Not sure I want the Wolves to end up playing...its going to be the Nuggets, Mavs or Griz depending on who gets the #6 seed.  I think they'll spank the Nuggets in 5, the Mavs in 6 but a healthy Griz team has given them fits all year.  Hopefully Gasol is still banged up tomorrow night...its huge

And you know I wouldn't mind them dropping to #3, that way they avoid the Lakers and Spurs until the Conference Finals.  They can handle the Kings and whoever we play in Round 1, the Lakers and Spurs can beat up on each other in Round 2 setting up a Wolves Sweep in Round 3 :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Bwaaahaahahahahaaha

Sounds like the Lakers are imploding...accusations that Kobe tanked the game against the Kings, internal strife, almost losing to the Warriors at home.

Bwaaahaahahahahaaha

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Hey.  You be quiet.   >:(

Kobe is a delicate flower, so we must quietly support his decision to sabotage the Sacto game...  See what he did last night in response to the crap he's been getting?  Went for 45, 7, and 8 against the Warriors.  Certainly doesn't make up for him handing home court to the Kings on a silver platter, but at least it shows he's still interested...   :-\

So, let's see here - The Lakers have to win tonight, and the Spurs and Kings have to lose for us to regain the #2 seed.  Highly doubtful.  Dallas (SPIDER), here we come!   :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2004, 12:55 PM »
I think if the Wolves lose and Spurs win they are technically the #2 Seed, they just have to play the #6 team in Round 1 but would still have homecourt over the Kings/Lakers in Round 2