Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85344 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Offseason
« Reply #465 on: June 18, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Well, looks like the Laker offseason fallout may have begun:

Phil Leaves

Shaq Might Be Too

Also, Kobe is officially a free agent now, and in other news T-Mac has told the Magic he wants out as well.  The crazy summer begins!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 19, 2004, 12:23 AM »
Lakers?  Who dat?  I remember some guy yammering away about them, but haven't seen hide nor hair of him lately.  I wonder why?

:-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2004, 02:35 AM »
Who dat?   ???

As expected, with the team saying that Kobe is the #1 priority at all costs, Shaq just requested a trade.  Wonderful.  Phil's gone (I don't care), but now Shaq wants out too.  That pretty much kills it.  I think the only thing that could keep him around, is if the Mailman comes back and wants to give it another shot.

The egos on this team are absolutely out-of-control right now.  Hell, Kobe could still walk as well, and we could be left with nobody.  (shut up all of you, I know what you're thinking!)   :P

As for my absence here (since I know B's concerned), I've just got so many things built up to unload, that I haven't spent the exhorbitant amount of time to put them all down in writing here.  Some day...

Suffice it to say, the Lakers CHOKED.  Pistons kicked our asses, 5 times in a row.  They look like the greatest team of all time, and it's a wonder that they weren't pursuing the Bulls all-time win record in the regular season this year.  Maybe just 'cause 'Sheed was late to the party.

So, who you think we're gonna get for Shaq?  It'll be funny if we can't get anything good for him, and he's forced to stay with us next year too, alongside his good pal Kobe.   :P

What's been so hard about losing this Championship, is not the Championship itself, but knowing that it's the end of an era for this team, many of which have been together for 7 or 8 years now...  That's what is making it so painful.  Thought we had a lot of drama during the season?  Just wait and watch the offseason.  Gonna be some crazy sheeat goin' down 'round Hollywood!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2004, 10:38 PM »
Must Read

I've always liked Shaq, even though his free throws and rebounding are a bit atrocious he's a dang good player and I really admire his grace for being so huge.  He's like a 370 pound ballerina out there

Never liked Kobe and this article cements it more and more.  I can see wanting to build your team around him but see where he'll get you by himself (see Tracy McGrady)  What a spoiled premadonna...I hope Eagle County locks that punk up for the rest of his life and he can rot in jail... ::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2004, 11:12 PM »
That's an extremely slanted, biased, and often flat-out incorrect article there.  Suggesting that Shaq didn't add just as much fuel to the fire as Kobe did is asinine.  They went back and forth in the media all year long.  Shaq never bit his tongue and kept his mouth shut like that article says.  I saw interview after interview, tirade after tirade, of Shaq slamming Kobe just as much as Kobe slammed him, if not worse.

The bottom line is, they've got the two biggest egos in the NBA, and if they're not able to win Championships, then they can't coexist.  Period.  Winning kept them civil towards eachother.  Shaq's been just as much a whiny piece of $h!t as Kobe has been all year.  Their behavior has been ridiculous and embarrassing throughout - both of them.

Most Laker fans have known all year long that if we didn't win the title, either Shaq or Kobe would be gone.  They let last year's gaff slide, but two in a row and the party's over.  Jerry Buss prefers Kobe, and unfortunately made that all too clear a couple days ago (through Kupchack), so now Shaq wants out.  As for Phil, he was teetering on the Shaq/Kobe decision too.  If Shaq had stayed, Phil would've probably stayed.  If Kobe stayed, it meant Phil had to go, 'cause Kobe wasn't too big a fan of him.

But they're both whiny primadonnas, hell - even Phil is, and they've increasingly been so over the past couple years.  There's really no in-between ground here.  You're either on Shaq's side, or Kobe's side.  Obviously that writer was on the former, and wrote his biased piece as such.  But after watching these two egomaniacs all year long (and every year prior), I can guarantee you that article is completely bogus.

But the idea of McGrady and Shaq together down in Orlando makes me a little nervous.  Hopefully Kupchack has the sense not to let that happen.  Meanwhile, both Payton and Fisher have to decide by Wednesday if they're staying or going.  Rather hard decision, considering they have no idea whatsoever who will be coaching, which superstars might be staying (if any), etc.  That'd suck to be in that position.   :-\

It's been insane around here in L.A. with all the media coverage of the Laker fallout.  TV, radio, newspapers, etc.  Everywhere you look it's crap about the Lakers, and how freaking dysfunctional and egomaniacal they all are.  Real crappy way to end the era...   >:(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 11:19 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 22, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Sounds like there could be another dynamic duo in the making.  ESPN is reporting that T-Mac is close to joining Yao in Houston

The trade runs down like this (assuming none of these players are selected in tonight's expansion draft):

Houston Gets:
Tracy McGrady
Juwan Howard

Orlando Gets:
Steve Francis
Cuttino Mobley
Kelvin Cato

It is possible that Tyronn Lue and Andrew DeClercq could be thrown in the deal as well.  Pretty big news if this would hold true.  Another one of the NBA's superstars headed to the Western Conference.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #471 on: June 23, 2004, 04:41 AM »
If the rumors are true, we'll take Shaq this year AND Phil Jackson next year after he's had some time off. The Mavs have never advanced beyond the Western Conference Finals, so we're overjoyed at the possibility of obtaining Shaq and maybe Phil. If we can make the trade and keep 2 of Dirk, Nash or Finley, so much the better.

I'd love to trade Walker, Jamison, Bradly and Abdur-Wahad (whatever his name is). But who would take Bradly..? No one.

It will be interesting. McGrady to the Rockets with Yao is a coup.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Say Hello to your Charlotte Bobcats:

POS. PLAYER FROM
F  Lonny Baxter* Washington
G  J.R. Bremer* Golden State
C  Primoz Brezec Indiana
G  Maurice Carter* New Orleans
C  Predrag Drobnjak L.A. Clippers
F   Desmond Ferguson* Portland
F  Marcus Fizer* Chicago
G  Richie Frahm* Seattle
F  Brandon Hunter Boston
F  Jason Kapono Cleveland
F-C Zaza Pachulia Orlando
F  Aleksandar Pavlovic Utah
F  Jamal Sampson L.A. Lakers
G  Tamar Slay* New Jersey
F  Theron Smith Memphis
G  Jeff Trepagnier* Denver
F  Gerald Wallace Sacramento
C  Jahidi White Phoenix
C  Loren Woods* Miami
* unrestricted Free Agent after next year

How many of these guys will be with the team on opening day next year?

I'll say 5 (out of 19).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #473 on: June 23, 2004, 10:30 AM »
Scott E Roth Cup For Excellence in Mock Drafting tomorrow night, pumped up to defend my title...not sure on how my Board will play out yet, doesn't sound like the Magic know who they'll even take

Shaq to the Mavs would be huge but they would almost have to part with too much to get him.  McGrady for Francis is a great move for the Rockets, not sure what the Magic are thinking on that one as Francis is one of the most overrated players in the NBA IMO

Offline Dark_Kanos

• Youngling
  • Jawa Ben
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 23, 2004, 11:05 AM »
 >:( Celtics are dumb by leting go Brandon Hunter :'( He was good :'(
Jawa Ben

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Could be a crazy week (and months) in the NBA with all of this draft/trade/free agency talk.  I kind of hope that Shaq goes elsewhere, but it might be tough to find someone that can make it work out with his HUGE contract.  Dallas could be a possibility, as well as Indiana.  It would be hard, because you don't want to give up too much for him.  He's still dominant, but probably only has a few good years left in him.  You'd hate to give up a lot of talent (especially younger talent) for someone who, while still the most dominant player in the league, is probably on the down side of his career.  I would like to see him go elsewhere, and to see he and Kobe go head to head.  I think if LA trades Shaq, it really boosts the chances that Kobe re-signs there.  On that note, sounds like Payton is staying put now.  I never would have guessed that a month ago, but Jackson going probably helps matters a lot.

T-Mac to Houston is sort of sounding like a done deal, although there are still rumblings about Indiana too.  McGrady and Yao could be a potent combo, and help the Rockets rise up to the West's elite.  Could be a lot of faces in new places next season....like every year anymore it seems...but it could make it interesting.  With that in mind, here's a list of the free agents (restricted/unrestricted) for this summer, courtesy of NBA.com:

Summer 2004 Free Agents

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 24, 2004, 08:57 AM »
Some more trading frenzy going on....the latest rumor has the Wizards and Mavericks making a swap

Wizards Receive:
Antawn Jamison

Mavericks Receive:
Jerry Stackhouse
Christian Laettner
2004 NBA Draft #5 Pick

This trade is being made (at least from Dallas' standpoint) to give them more to work with in trying to get Shaquille to big D.  From the reports on ESPN this morning, it sounds like he is really positive about wanting to leave LA, and not wavering on it at all.  Dallas is sounding like the most likely destination, but they don't want to part with Nowitzki in the deal.  Stackhouse and/or Laettner might be headed elsewhere as well.  Also, in other Laker news, Derek Fisher opted for free agency as well.

The T-Mac trade will likely be on hold until after the draft, as it has been said as many as 7 teams have made offers to Orlando, and they are taking their time to see their best options.  Teams expected to be in the mix are Houston, Indiana, Phoenix and the Clippers....Houston is still rumored to be T-Mac's choice.

Also, the Bulls picked up the #7 pick from Phoenix for a 2nd round pick, future 1st, and cash.  The Bulls now has two picks in the top 10 this year, something might be brewing there as well.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #477 on: June 24, 2004, 09:09 AM »
That Phoenix trade is a head scratcher, sure they get room but they also go from a mid range lottery pick to a big ?? in the future.  I've read they got frustrated by Orlando's wait and see approach on McGrady

I really hope the Mavs don't get Shaq...but their team is so much in flux right now that who knows who will be on the floor next fall!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #478 on: June 24, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Scott E Roth Picks...

1. Dwight Howard
2. Emeka Okafor
3. Ben Gordon
4. Devin Harris
5. Shaun Livingston
6. Andre Iguodala
7. Luke Jackson
8. Jameer Nelson
9. Luol Deng
10. Robert Swift
11. Andris Bendrins
12. Josh Childress
13. Kirk Snyder
14. Sergey Monya

Tough one this year as #1 isn't even decided yet, the low out of 15 between myself, my brother and our buddy was only 3 right, we may be approaching that one this year

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #479 on: June 24, 2004, 03:52 PM »