Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85521 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NBA Offseason
« Reply #585 on: September 23, 2004, 04:19 PM »
Shaq is looking damn good these days, can't wait to see him dunk a few types on The Raper on Christmas

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #586 on: September 23, 2004, 05:14 PM »
Shaq is looking damn good these days, can't wait to see him dunk a few types on The Raper on Christmas

A good pal of mine has coined the nickname 8-rape in refrence to Kobe.

I like it and will be using that nickname while missing the NHL discussing the NBA with you fellas in the fall.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #587 on: October 5, 2004, 12:11 AM »
Word is Sammy C may hold out for a new 2 year extension that would be his final 2 years.   >:(

Nice way to start the ******* season douche bag, you're hurt, how about you show up healthy and then talk extension >:( >:(

I think San Antonio is now the favorites for the title :-[

Offline Hes No Good to Me Dead

• Jedi Padawan
  • That's it baby, when you got it, flaunt it.
    • View Profile
    • Now With Kung-Fu Grip
« Reply #588 on: October 5, 2004, 09:46 AM »
Are you guys going to have a JD Fantasy League at Yahoo or somewhere else this year? If so, count me in. I've had teams for the last 5 or six years now, but it'd be cool to play with guys I know. I see Yahoo  starting to accept sign-ups for 2004-5 now.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #589 on: October 5, 2004, 09:51 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #590 on: October 5, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Scottie Pippen has retired

Good player...yes...
Great player...meh...
Top 50 All Time Player...no way in hell

He was good, a great #2 but once Jordan was gone and once he left the Bulls, he was a good #1 guy (certainly not an elite #1) or a decent #2 guy later in his career...that's it.  Plus what did the Bulls do when Jordan retired the first time?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 5, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I used to be a big Scottie Pippen fan in my younger years.  I followed the Bulls exclusively from about 1988 until the "breakup", and I didn't want to have Jordan be my absolute "favorite" player back then, just because he was everyone else's...so I went with Scottie.  Lost some respect for him after Jordan left the first time, and he started whining, sitting out games, showing a temper, etc.  Since then, he has seemed to shape up again and had a nice career.

Probably a borderline good/great player.  Not one of the all-time greats in my opinion though.  That "Top 50" list they had during his glory years has likely changed considerably since then, with many of the current players pushing players like Pip off the list (again, IMO).  Overall, a nice career for Scottie...a Hall of Famer most likely with a solid career and six rings.  But, it was time for him to hang it up I think.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 5, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Since Scott initially brought it up....just for history and argument's sake, here is the list of the "50 Greatest Players"...I would say this list has changed since then.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Nate Archibald

Paul Arizin

Charles Barkley

Rick Barry

Elgin Baylor

Dave Bing

Larry Bird

Wilt Chamberlain

Bob Cousy

Dave Cowens

Billy Cunningham

Dave DeBusschere

Clyde Drexler

Julius Erving

Patrick Ewing

Walt Frazier

George Gervin

Hal Greer

John Havlicek

Elvin Hayes

Magic Johnson

Sam Jones

Michael Jordan

Jerry Lucas

Karl Malone

Moses Malone

Pete Maravich

Kevin McHale

George Mikan

Earl Monroe

Hakeem Olajuwon

Shaquille O'Neal

Robert Parish

Bob Pettit

Scottie Pippen

Willis Reed

Oscar Robertson

David Robinson

Bill Russell

Dolph Schayes

Bill Sharman

John Stockton

Isiah Thomas

Nate Thurmond

Wes Unseld

Bill Walton

Jerry West

Lenny Wilkens

James Worthy

And...here's the linky

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 5, 2004, 03:59 PM »
Not being biased, but I would think that KG would show up on that list now...as well as others who have developed or come into the league since then. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #594 on: October 5, 2004, 04:16 PM »
I was going to say Duncan, KG and Kobe all should be there

Ewing is another marginal one to me, sure he was good, but he never won the big one and wasn't even the best center of his era with Olajuwan, Robinson and Shaq all being better.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #595 on: October 5, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Uh-oh...  Turmoil in T-Wolves land?   :-*

As for the 50 greatest, yeah, I'd agree with Scott's 3 additions there, but I'd also have to add one more, that was originally left off the list (as well as the original Dream Team), which has always pissed me off...  Dominique Wilkins.  The most unstoppable one on one force outside of Jordan during his heyday.  No respect for the poor guy, and I've never been able to figure out why.  He was dominating, and amazing to watch.

As for who I'd remove from the list to make room for these four...  Hmm...  I'd have to think about that.  I'll get back to ya'!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #596 on: October 5, 2004, 10:11 PM »
Word is Sammy C may hold out for a new 2 year extension that would be his final 2 years.   >:(

Oops.  I see you've already covered this topic.  Sorry, I'm rather lagging today...   :P

As for Pippen, good riddance.  I've always hated his pouting and coat-tailing ass.  Did make an excellent compadre for Jordan though, I'll admit.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2004, 10:16 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #597 on: October 5, 2004, 10:18 PM »

Oops.  I see you've already covered this topic.  Sorry, I'm rather lagging today...   :P

As for Pippen, good riddance.  I've always hated his pouting and coat-tailing ass.  Did make an excellent compadre for Jordan though, I'll admit.
Word on the radio is that Cassell is in town, probably going to head to camp soon.   Whew

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 6, 2004, 09:39 AM »
It looks like the Wolves are giving another (final) shot to perennial head case Eddie Griffin.  If he has finally gotten past his problems, and can focus on the game, he would be an excellent addition.  He has talent, just hasn't ever been able to put it all together.  Hopefully this is the season that it happens.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #599 on: October 12, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Two Out Of Three People Agree...Kobe is a Punk

My respect for him just went to -100, and that's pretty low on the respect scale...