Author Topic: College Football 2003  (Read 15182 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: College Football 2003
« Reply #15 on: November 9, 2003, 11:11 AM »
Yes you got the Axe back but I will say the game was far better than I thought it would be.   Next year its gotta come back to WI ;D
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2003, 06:54 PM »
The Bowl Schedule (all times Eastern):

BCS bowls:
  • Nokia Sugar - Oklahoma Vs. LSU - Jan. 4, 8:00, ABC
  • Tostitos Fiesta - Kansas St. Vs. Ohio St. - Jan. 2, 8:00, ABC
  • FedEx Orange - Miami Vs. Florida St. - Jan. 1, 8:30, ABC
  • Rose - USC Vs. Michigan - Jan. 1, 4:30, ABC
Other bowls:

• Humanitarian - Tulsa Vs. Georgia Tech - Jan. 3, Noon, ESPN
  • Chick-fil-A Peach - Tennessee Vs. Clemson - Jan. 2, 4:30, ESPN
  • SBC Cotton - Mississippi Vs. Oklahoma St. - Jan. 2, 2:00, Fox
  • Capital One - Georgia Vs. Purdue - Jan. 1, 1:00, ABC
  • Toyota Gator - Maryland Vs. West Virginia - Jan. 1, 12:30, NBC
  • Outback - Florida Vs. Iowa - Jan. 1, 11:00 AM, ESPN
  • Diamond Walnut San Francisco - Colorado St. Vs Boston College - Dec. 31, 10:30, ESPN 2
  • MainStay Independence - Missouri Vs. Arkansas - Dec. 31, 7:30, ESPN
  • AXA Liberty - Utah Vs. Southern Miss - Dec. 31, 3:30, ESPN
  • Wells Fargo Sun - Oregon Vs. Minnesota - Dec. 31, 2:00, CBS
  • Gaylord Hotels Music City - Auburn Vs. Wisconsin - Dec. 31, noon, ESPN
  • Silicon Valley Football Classic - UCLA Vs. Fresno St. - Dec. 30, 10:30, ESPN 2
  • Pacific Life Holiday - Texas Vs. Washington St. - Dec. 30, 8:00, ESPN
  • EV1.net Houston - Navy Vs. Texas Tech - Dec. 30, 4:30, ESPN
  • MasterCard Alamo - Nebraska Vs. Michigan St. - Dec. 29, 9:00, ESPN
  • Continental Tire - Pittsburgh Vs. Virginia - Dec. 27, 11:00 AM, ESPN 2
  • Insight - Virginia Tech Vs. California - Dec. 26, 8:30, ESPN
  • Motor City - Northwestern Vs. Bowling Green - Dec. 26, 5:00, ESPN
  • Sheraton Hawaii - Hawaii Vs. Houston - Dec. 25, 8:00, ESPN
  • Las Vegas - New Mexico Vs. Oregon St. - Dec. 24, 7:30, ESPN
  • PlainsCapital Fort Worth - Boise St. Vs. TCU - Dec. 23, 7:30, ESPN
  • Mazda Tangerine - NC State Vs. Kansas - Dec. 22, 5:30, ESPN
  • GMAC - Louisville Vs. Miami (Ohio) - Dec. 18, 7:30, ESPN 2
  • New Orleans - Memphis Vs. North Texas - Dec. 16, 7:00, ESPN 2
http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/story/6902894
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 11:44 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: December 8, 2003, 12:07 AM »
Sun Bowl Baby! >:( >:( >:( ??? ??? ??? :-[ :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 8, 2003, 08:11 AM »
Lucky you even go to a bowl,or lost to your biggest rival 63-17 :o ouch.What is amazing is that our rival Clemson(or clempsun as the yokle fans call it)and Tennesse are going neck and neck in the peach bowl,man are tensions going to be high at school.Of course I will side with the vols since,well Clemson sucks.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: December 8, 2003, 12:00 PM »
http://games.espn.go.com/bowlmania/frontpage

Join in the fun of the first annual JD.com You Pick 'Em Bowl Challenge

Free to play (you need to register at ESPN.com)

No Prizes just the ability to brag it up here

Once you have created your entry click on the Create/Join Group LInk

Group Name: JediDefender
Password: vader

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 8, 2003, 12:20 PM »
We're headed to the Alamo bowl, but I can't complain.  We had a decent season after last year's debacle, and it should be a good matchup with Michigan State.  Hopefully we'll play well.  Kind of a strange year in BCS land again, with USC kind of getting the screwgie.  Of course, any of those three teams (OU, LSU, USC) would have a gripe if they weren't in the title game.  At least USC has a chance at a share of the title.  That system just doesn't quite work right :).

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 8, 2003, 01:55 PM »
See whenever I see USC I think of my team University Of South Carolina ;)

OCB,might just join.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: December 8, 2003, 06:48 PM »
Funny, but I wanted to comment here on the BCS snafu yesterday, but didn't remember us having a college football thread, so I passed on it (and yes - I do realize we have a search box up top...)

Sun Bowl Baby!

Silicon Valley Football Classic Baby!!!   8)   ;D   :D   :)   :P   ???    ::)   :-[   :(   :'(   >:(   :-X

We were lucky to even get in there.  But I gotta say that So Cal is on fire right now with all the people pissed off about USC getting left out of the "National Championship" game.  They're our hated rivals at UCLA, so it was somewhat amusing, though I'll admit it doesn't seem fair or right.  After OU got B'slapped on their home turf by K-State on Saturday evening, their sorry asses should just take a hike to a lesser Bowl.

I still think some multi-millionaire somewhere should just line up a neutral stadium somewhere, contact representatives for USC (assuming they beat Michigan) and the winner of the OU/LSU game, and just set up a non-NCAA sanctioned (real) championship game to see who the true Champion really is.  Like Don King or someone...  What's he been up to lately?  This would be a good way for him to get his name back in the spotlight.  Mills Lane could do the opening coin flip, followed by the proverbial Let's get it on!  It'd be perfect.

Why not?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: December 8, 2003, 09:41 PM »
I don't follow NCAA football that much (aside from NC State, and QB Phillip Rivers is getting the Heisman shaft), but I think it's ludicrous that a team that loses their conference championship game, in blowout fashion, and holds the same record as the other Top 2 teams, still gets to play for the National Championship while the No. 1 team in the 2 other polls that actually matter, plays 2nd fiddle.

"Second fiddle"?  No, not really.  If USC wins in the Rose Bowl, they'll be guaranteed a share of the championship with whoever wins the OU/LSU game, so it's not like they're totally ass-out here.

There are definite problems with the current system, but there's not a whole lot to do when there's three one-loss teams--someone's going to get left out.  (And they don't all have identical records--OU and LSU are both 12-1, and USC is 11-1).

When that happens, what other option do you have than to look at the quality wins and losses that each of the teams had?
Looking at those, OU deserves to be in the title game just as much as anybody.

OU:  Quality wins over Texas (5) and Oklahoma St. (22)
        Lost to Kansas State (10)

LSU:  Quality wins over Georgia (11) (twice) and Mississippi (18)
         Lost to Florida (17)

USC:  Quality win over Washington State (14)
          Lost to California (unranked)

Now, I'm for a playoff system, too, but that doesn't matter.  Doesn't matter that OU lost on the last day of the year, just like it doesn't matter that USC lost two and a half months ago.  What does matter is that both OU and LSU have better wins than USC, and better losses, too.

My new favorite team, by the way, is Michigan.  

GO BLUE!!!   8)
« Last Edit: December 8, 2003, 09:46 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2003, 09:04 AM »

and the NASCAR points system. Where else can you win 9 races. 20% of the schedule, in 1 season, and still finish in 5th place overall, with the 1st place winner winning only 1 race all year.

Matt Kenseth won by being consistent.  9 wins or not, Newman had a few DNFs and didn't run as consistent as Kenseth did all year.  Now don't get me wrong, Newman is a great driver, but if he wasn't racing "balls to the wall" all the time, he would have finished higher (and quite possibly won the Championship).

I think the Championship game should be LSU vs. USC, but only because they both won their respective conferences.  I'll be rooting for LSU over OSU, but can't root for USC seeing as they're playing the Wolverines.  I've been a huge blue fan since I can remember.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2003, 09:28 AM »
EV.1 GalleryFurniture Playing Before New Years Eve, but at least after Christmas Day Houston Bowl!!!!

I am not a big BCS supporter myself, I would like a playoff, but the main problem with that is, that Texas Tech would never get a bowl game then.  So I am torn.  I want a definative National Champion in College Football, but I don't want to sacrifice any possible Bowl Money. Not that I get any of it.

But it you did a tournament like in Basketball, you would end up needing to have just 10 game regular seasons or starting the season in Early August and  I think it starts too early already. (Of course I don't feel that way in July, when I am jonesing for Football)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #26 on: December 9, 2003, 01:23 PM »
Thanks for the NASCAR commentary in the college football thread.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: December 9, 2003, 01:33 PM »
There was a NASCAR thread around here to somewhere

I've seen some pretty cute stuff over at ESPN on the whole Computerized BCS, the fact that OU and LSU have beaten so many quality teams means to me they made the right call.  I love it that this system is still messed up though "The BCS will fix all of those problems"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #28 on: December 9, 2003, 02:37 PM »
I do want to respond to something JediMAC said over at Galactic Hunter, in the "GEAUX TIGERS!!!!" thread, if that makes any sense.

After OU's shalacking at the hands of Kansas State last night, at home no less

For the record, while OU was the "home" team in last Saturday's game, don't be fooled--they weren't playing in the cozy confines of Owen Field in Norman, Oklahoma.

No sir, they were playing up in Kansas City, at Arrowhead Stadium, where the NFL's Chiefs play.

Now, I have no idea what percentage of fans were rooting for OU, and what percentage were rooting for Kansas State, but I'd imagine a good majority of them were rooting for the Wildcats.

Doesn't change much, really--K-State still played lights out, and kicked OU's ass--but the Sooners didn't lose here at home.  It was a road game without being a "road game".

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: December 9, 2003, 04:16 PM »
For the record, while OU was the "home" team in last Saturday's game, don't be fooled--they weren't playing in the cozy confines of Owen Field in Norman, Oklahoma.

No sir, they were playing up in Kansas City, at Arrowhead Stadium, where the NFL's Chiefs play.

Oh...  You're right.  I didn't realize that at all!  I thought they were at OU.  I was mostly watching the LSU game, with the OU game going on at the other side of the bar, and just noted that they were "home" and that Oklahoma was written in the end zone.  

That indeed does make a pretty big difference in my eyes then.  Still a terrible loss, and they got dominated throughout.  But if it wasn't AT OU, then that's not nearly as bad as I thought...  Thanks for the clarification on that Matt!  Consider me informed now.  Still a crappy way to go into the National Championship game though.  Most of the polls I've seen in the last few days indicate the majority of people would prefer to see USC in the Title game over either of the other schools.

Oh well.  UCLA fans continue to chuckle quietly in the background...   ;)