Author Topic: More "regular" (non-animated) CW figures on tap?!  (Read 7034 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
More "regular" (non-animated) CW figures on tap?!
« on: October 13, 2003, 09:43 PM »
Pete over at The Private Universe is reporting that there are apparently still more regular (non-animated) Clone Wars figures coming down the pipeline beyond what we already know of - which would be up through the Saesee Tiin and Kit Fisto wave...  Hmm...

I think this is potentially not such good news, as this would likely indicate that this already peg warming line will be continuing on further than had been announced previously by Hasbro, which was the end of 2003.  That probably means that it will also be at retail concurrently with the "animated" line of CW figures, as well as the regular Saga line of figures.

That was my biggest fear all along, since I think there's no way in hell the retail shelves and pegs can support 3 seperate Star Wars lines, especially 2 that will probably struggle.  That means that the distribution of the Saga line to retail could be in serious jeopardy if the CW lines are already filling the pegs.  I've even seen a number of stores in my area that have pulled the Saga line completely in favor of the CW line right now...   :-\

2004 was looking to be the best year ever.  I pray that the CW lines don't ruin the fun for all of us!

That said, what are your predictions for further figures in this line?  I guess Hasbro can probably put any of the Jedi into the CW "commando" getups that we've already seen.  I'd probably prefer more of the bad guys, or more Clones, or anything that has "cross-over" potential with the Prequel Trilogy.  But in all honesty, I'd prefer this line just end already...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: More "regular" (non-animated) CW figures on tap?!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 01:28 AM »
Well, I don't necessarily think that this is a bad line of Star Wars figures.  I just think they screwed up with the first wave by only including 3 figures... now 6 figures would have been awesome, with two of each figure per case.  In other words, Anakin and Yoda wouldn't be warming pegs so much if there were less of them to go around, and especially if there were other characters in the mix to start things off (Assaj Ventress, Durge, Sae Sae Tiin, etc).  

As things stand, I think this line still has loads of potential.  The 3-pks have been a success.  They sell well everywhere in the St. Louis area, with the exception of a few Droid Launchers.  The vehicles are cool too, every single kind seems to be selling extremely well.    

Now if they do continue the non-animated line even further, here's a few suggestions for figures:

- Count Dooku
- Red Battle Droid
- Padme Amidala
- Aayla Secura
- Seperatist Mercenary

And of course a few more multi-pks

- Republic Senators pk
- Jedi pk version 2
- White Clones (all standing)
- OOM-9 w/ 2 Battle Droids

Aw what the hell, vehicles too

- AT-TE
- Giant Spider Droid

That being said though, yes, this line could definitely hurt the SAGA line if Hasbro isn't v-e-r-y careful.

:P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 01:30 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 10:13 AM »
Well, I don't necessarily think that this is a bad line of Star Wars figures.  I just think they screwed up with the first wave by only including 3 figures... now 6 figures would have been awesome, with two of each figure per case.  In other words, Anakin and Yoda wouldn't be warming pegs so much if there were less of them to go around, and especially if there were other characters in the mix to start things off (Assaj Ventress, Durge, Sae Sae Tiin, etc).  

As things stand, I think this line still has loads of potential.  The 3-pks have been a success.  They sell well everywhere in the St. Louis area, with the exception of a few Droid Launchers.  The vehicles are cool too, every single kind seems to be selling extremely well.    

Now if they do continue the non-animated line even further, here's a few suggestions for figures:

- Count Dooku
- Red Battle Droid
- Padme Amidala
- Aayla Secura
- Seperatist Mercenary

And of course a few more multi-pks

- Republic Senators pk
- Jedi pk version 2
- White Clones (all standing)
- OOM-9 w/ 2 Battle Droids

Aw what the hell, vehicles too

- AT-TE
- Giant Spider Droid

That being said though, yes, this line could definitely hurt the SAGA line if Hasbro isn't v-e-r-y careful.

Good ideas, you walking carpet!  ;D

I think another thing that would help the Clone Wars line is to not have such drastic differences with the movies. Some senators or seperatist figures would be great, and would technically be Clone Wars figures.

Random alien "soldiers" would be cool too. I'd love some Quarren seperatist infantry, some Mon Calamari starship officers (from the Republic comic), various mercenary forces, characters from the comics, etc.

If Hasbro had handled this line like they could have, it really could have been a fill-in-the-blanks type of thing rather than a pegwarm-a-palooza.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 10:27 AM »
My core sentiment on the Clone Wars line is this:  Don't Batman-ize Star Wars.  Hasbro made so much garbage in their Batman line, and it's going to be warming pegs for years to come.  Thankfully, I think the licensing people at Lucasfilm will play an integral role in what does and does not get produced.  So, we may be safe from the line turning into pure dreck.

As for the line expanding?  I would expect other members of the Jedi Council and other high profile Jedi to get some recognition.  Count Dooku is another key character that you would expect as well.

As for some of the Republic and Seperatist forces?  I could see some of the following as possibilities as army builder sets:

-Battle Droids
-Various Seperatist Troops (Geonosians possibly)
-Clone Troopers (new poses, variations on the ranks)
-ARC Troopers
-More Jedi

In the vehicle department, I'd be interested in seeing more.  The AT-TE would be a dream come true.  There's also a Seperatist Droid Tank that didn't make it into Attack Of The Clones that's pretty cool.  It is in some of the animatics that are part of the EPISODE II DVD, though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 11:12 AM »
I agree with you Chewie,

Aayla Secura, Padme, but what about Shaak Ti, Luminara Unduli, Plo Koon, etc.  But all the damn jedi out for release, i mean come on.  How awesome would that be to have all the jedi be released on Clone Wars cards.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 12:52 PM »
I think this is potentially not such good news, as this would likely indicate that this already peg warming line will be continuing on further than had been announced previously by Hasbro, which was the end of 2003.  That probably means that it will also be at retail concurrently with the "animated" line of CW figures, as well as the regular Saga line of figures.

That was my biggest fear all along, since I think there's no way in hell the retail shelves and pegs can support 3 seperate Star Wars lines, especially 2 that will probably struggle.  That means that the distribution of the Saga line to retail could be in serious jeopardy if the CW lines are already filling the pegs.  I've even seen a number of stores in my area that have pulled the Saga line completely in favor of the CW line right now...

2004 was looking to be the best year ever.  I pray that the CW lines don't ruin the fun for all of us!

This was exactly my fear as well.  Although I don't hate the Clone Wars line, and I actually picked up the first three this past weekend...Anakin, Yoda, ARC, I definitely don't want it taking up space from the regular Saga line...especially with the figures we have seen rumored/confirmed for next year.  2004 was looking like it could be the best year of collecting since POTJ, and maybe even surpass it.  I know I am really looking forward to most, if not all, of the regular Saga offerings for next year.  That said...a few more Jedi, Dooku, etc. are great ideas for the Clone Wars line, but if this series is going to be taking up space from our "regular" figures, I'd just as soon they put an end to it now.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 02:01 PM »
Yea, i see what u mean.  But i really dont think that Hasbro would just put of the Saga line at all.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 12:47 AM »
The more I indulge into this topic, the more I like it.  There really are some spectacular possibilities for this line as far as creativity, as long as they don't Batman-tize it.  Good analogy there Nicklab.

And Lando, you have some great ideas there too for figures.  As do you, Mainland05.

What I would really like to see them do is release a few more background characters.  It seems that all the regular carded figures are main charactes, does it not?

And of course an AT-TE, giant Spider Droid too.  And a Spider Tank would be a cool addition to the line as well!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 11:21 AM »
My biggest problem with the whole thing is continuity...why the Cartoon Makers and LFL decided that for a period of time all of the Jedi will change costumes and wear armor and then when EpIII rolls around they are back to looks similar to EpII is just plain STOOPID.  

I am OK with a movie stylized Clone Wars line, that at least means the figures fit in with movie styled stuff, but when they went whacked out on everything even if it removable, they lost me :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 01:59 PM »
Dare I mention the D.G. as a possibility for the Clone Wars line, as a kind of sneak peak?  Those who've been reading TF.N may know what I'm referring to.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 02:12 PM »
Yeah that is probably a good possibility...Dooku, the DG, and some others.

I wonder what's going to be revealed at the LFL Licsensing meeting

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 02:20 PM »
The list is:

1. Darth Tyranus "Count Dooku"
2. Shaak Ti
3. Battle Droid (RED)
4. Padme Amidala
5. Super Battle Droid (battle damaged)
6. Clone Trooper (Variations)
7. Plo Koon
8. Luminara Unduli
9. Aayla Secura
10. ARC Trooper (Red)
COMING SPRING/SUMMER 2004
and many more to come,.......................

Copywright Hasbro Inc.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 11:21 AM by Mainland05 »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 02:48 PM »
The list is:

1. Darth Tyranus "Count Dooku"
2. Shaak Ti
3. Battle Droid (RED)
4. Padme Amidala
5. Super Battle Droid (battle damaged)
6. Clone Trooper (Variations)
7. Plo Koon
8. Luminara Unduli
9. Aayla Secura

COMING SPRING/SUMMER 2004
and many more to come,.......................

Copywright Hasbro Inc.

You had me for a minute there, until I noticed that "Copyright" was spelled wrong....   :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2003, 04:02 PM »
I know what you mean about your worries for pegwarming Matt.  I'm having SOTE Nightmares all over again.

If I were to request new CW items though, I'd go with this:

-A 3-pack of human males and female Jedi...  One sculpt, 3 different decoed outfits though, and each with a cloth outer robe (And cloth skirt pieces).  Since one sculpt it used (And 3 unique headsculpts) the single body is articulated well with 14 points of articulation and liberal use of the ball/socket joint Hasbro's come up with.

-A 3-pack of a NEW Battledroid...  All new sculpt, and articulated better than other BD we've seen so far.  If it came in 3 colors, that would be kind of neat too (Geonosian Red, Trade Fed. cream/white, and there' s a green-ish colored one I've seen also).  3 red droids would be dandy though by me.  USE GOOD PLASTIC!

-A Republic Starfighter (Looks to be a Koensayr design similar to the Y-Wing, but seemingly more of an interceptor...  Its sketch is in the Clone Wars Sketchbook given out at SDCC).  Include either a Clone Pilot or a non-descript Republic Pilot (That'd be cooler I think).

-New Droid Fighter maybe?

-Use the Lt. Faytonni body to make some generic Republic Officers with unique asian/african/Caucasian heads.

-Possibly ATTEMPT (As best as they could) a folding Destroyer Droid that unfolds.  I'd take a few inaccuracuracies so long as they weren't HUGE, if it meant it were possible.

-A neimodian SOldier would be neat...  They were pictured in the last Insider.  I'd take some of those. :)  A wookie soldier would be dandy too, but that could be coming anyway what with the latest jibba jabba around the net.

-A new Royal Guard would be kind of neat, but one with cloth robes and articulation to kick some booty.  No Separatist would try hurting Old Palpy with a super-articulated royal guard nearby to open a can of whoop@$$ on them.

Beyond that though, I'm worried that non-army building type items will not be selling well...  The ARC seems to, but look at Anakin...  Yoda moves cuz he's Yoda, but even he's starting to go stagnant at this point.  

Not a good sign for "Single" figures...  Army Builders at least have history on their side as being figures that always move steadily and will eventually clear out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 10:52 AM »
I'm in complete agreement, JJ. A line focusing on the Clone Wars should have a lot of army figures to fight the damn thing. Its seems like a no-brainer to me. We have Yoda, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, etc. in abundance. What we should have are forces to fight the war.

Some good ideas...

* Quarren seperatist infantry (Aquatic?)
* Mon Calamari starship officers (from the Republic comic)
* Planetary defense forces (there were some pretty cool soldiers in the last few issues of Star Wars: Republic)
* Clone Troopers in Cold-Weather Gear (Snow-Clones :P )
* Clone Troopers in Desert Gear
* Recon Clone Troopers (similar to Biker Scouts)
* Generic Republic Officers
* Neimoidian Soldier
* Neimoidian Pilots
* Newer-looking assassin droid ala IG-88? (I remember when he was just a battered old chrome War Droid)
* Amanin Tribal Soldiers
* Dresselian Snipers & Commandos
* Bothan Spies
* Generic Jedi (JJ's suggestion of a 3-pack sounds great)
* Aqualish soldiers
* Trandoshan Mercs (with 2 ladies to hang all over them ;))

Honestly, this line could have been so wide open. I think Hasbro kind of blew it though, with all the main characters being released. The Clone Wars line should have been used as an opportunity to supplement the main line by giving the characters enemies and allies to beef up both the Republic and Seperatist forces.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram