Author Topic: The Simpsons: The TV Show  (Read 13312 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Simpsons: The TV Show
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 08:27 AM »
#everysimpsonsever marathon on FXX has reminded me how awesome the first 8 or 9 seasons of the Simpsons were... and how it was pretty much downhill from there.   :-\

I thought exactly the same thing.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2014, 05:44 AM »
Yep. I was watching the Marathon for the first weekend and then gave up after around Season 12. The stuff from 2001 onward is bad, bad, bad, though to be fair I don't think I've seen anything after 2007.

There's just something slightly comforting about knowing the Simpsons is on TV though. My local stations dropped it years ago in favor of Big Bang Theory, which is a rant in itself.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #32 on: September 1, 2014, 08:30 AM »
The past few seasons have been much better, IMO.  There was a brilliant anime-themed episode this last season with a ridiculous number of references.  There are still good and bad episodes, but there have been a lot of good.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2014, 09:03 AM »
I think Bill nailed it. And overall it's still entertaining so I say keep making them.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2014, 11:50 PM »
I think the real problem is they have done everything already...everything

How stupider can you make Homer, how many environmental issues can Lisa do, how long can Maggie not talk

The first 8-9 years is amazing to have both lived through and relive again with my
boys.  That said they think the recent ones are funny too (Prequels are for kids for $200 Alex)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 2, 2014, 08:52 AM »
It's a number of different things IMO, viewer fatigue is certainly a factor, but the writing has definitely changed over the years. (Which makes sense as guys come and go, like Conan O'Brien) The early episodes have more of an edge, more biting satire. The newer stuff is shmaltzy by comparison.

The main problem now IMHO is the proliferation of "celebrity" guests. They rarely leaned on that schtick back in the day, but now it has become a staple of almost every episode. Enough already!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 2, 2014, 08:55 PM »
That show goes for 25 years and gets major its own land at Universal Studios Orlando and Hollywood. While Disney still can't figure out what to do with Star Wars beyond a Star Tours refresh and a new kids tv show.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 04:18 AM »
Did anyone else catch the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover? Not as bad as I had imagined it would be, but also something I hope never, ever happens again.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Did anyone else catch the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover? Not as bad as I had imagined it would be, but also something I hope never, ever happens again.

I saw  it. I felt  that family  guy  carried  the Simpsons

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I liked it. Not a lot for Maggie or Chris to do, but it was pretty funny. Esp the Bob's Burger's slam.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 06:18 PM »

I haven't seen it yet but I believe it was a Family Guy episode so that kinda makes sense.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10 PM »

I haven't seen it yet but I believe it was a Family Guy episode so that kinda makes sense.

I was thinking the same thing (though really Family Guy couldn't carry Homer's jock strap).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27 AM »
AVClub.com: The Simpsons will no longer be released on DVD

...Simpsons showrunner Al Jean has revealed that Fox will no longer be releasing its seasons on DVD—and presumably, any other physical media. It’s the end of an era, and given the durability of the series, probably the right decision to save Mother Earth.

Jean let the news slip on Twitter, in a series of conversations with fans who wanted to know when Fox—after skipping from season 17 to 20—would be putting out seasons 18 and 19, or any of the other seasons the show has had since then and possibly since the beginning of this sentence. The answer is never, thanks to what Jean blames on a dying market for DVDs—even among diehard Simpsons fans who almost singlehandedly have been keeping it alive through their demand for commentaries, deleted scenes, and the like.

Man oh man am I glad I stopped buying the DVDs early on. Not having Seasons 18 or 19 would drive my OCD through the ******* roof.

This kinda sucks, though. Those first few DVD releases were a huge deal at the time.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 12:48 PM »
Wow...I stopped buying right around Season 13, when they started putting them out on Blu Ray and I couldn't reconcile switching from the "plastic head shaped" DVD releases they had been doing for years.

I'm sure they will do a "complete series" one day when it finally (mercifully) lays down and dies. But yeah, it's a real kick in the nuts to be missing those last few.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 06:27 PM »
I stopped buying these a few years ago.  Most are still wrapped in plastic.  Nice waste of money.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN