Author Topic: Stranger Things - Netflix  (Read 19513 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger Things - Netflix
« Reply #60 on: July 6, 2022, 11:25 AM »
The only one I really didn’t like was all the stuff with the jocks. I wouldn’t have missed it if they took everything out with those a-holes.

Yeah, I get that and I kind of agree.  I would forget about them and then they would pop up again.  I think their part in the show is somewhat apart of the 80s feel since there was that D&D is luring kids to satanism madness.  Surprised we didn't get Eddie biting off a demobat's head off during his metal performance. ;) j/k.  Losing Chrissy in a such horrific way, Jason believed that Eddie was the head of a Satanic club and that Eddie lured Crissy to his house for a ritual killing.  There was no way for others to comprehend what happened to Chrissy.  Once the crew understood that Eddie was innocent and the danger he was in, they took him in to protect him from the mob. 

I could have done without the jocks but I also think they served their purpose well.

This.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2022, 11:26 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 6, 2022, 12:00 PM »
I could have done without the jocks but I also think they served their purpose well.

This.

Maybe I'm getting more cynical, or noticing more stuff, but I felt the writing this season was a little lazy.  There seemed to be too many unsubtle "plot devices" that drove the story when I think more creative writing could have told the story more cleanly. 

I think the jocks detracted from the story and the story could have moved fairly well without them.  Eddie could have been in hiding from the cops without having a separate group of "bad guys" out there hunting them.

One that I noticed in the last episode that really bugged me was when Robin decided to randomly sprint ahead in the upside down so from a story perspective Steve and Nancy could have some alone time to talk about their feelings.  When their talk was done Robin conveniently came running back.  I thought this was exceptionally lazy writing.  The writers found a perfect spot for Will and Mike to have a heart to heart in the van, and Hopper and Joyce to connect in the prison, but the Robin/Nancy/Steve interaction was lazy.

I'm probably nit picking too much, but I thought the previous seasons were excellent.  This one was still entertaining, but slipped a bit in its execution including the addition of the jocks.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 6, 2022, 01:17 PM »
I feel the jocks are totally an 80s thing. They also played a big roll in Lucas's development this season. I also got the Frank Herbert Paul Atreides look how dangerous a smooth talking good looking leader can be vibe.

I also have learned I watch TV much differently than other people. I don't know if I just don't care about small plot devices or if I'm not smart/observant enough to catch them. Never even crossed my mind what Robin did to get to Nancy and Steve's conversation.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2022, 01:46 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2022, 04:21 PM »
I feel the jocks are totally an 80s thing. They also played a big roll in Lucas's development this season. I also got the Frank Herbert Paul Atreides look how dangerous a smooth talking good looking leader can be vibe.

I also have learned I watch TV much differently than other people. I don't know if I just don't care about small plot devices or if I'm not smart/observant enough to catch them. Never even crossed my mind what Robin did to get to Nancy and Steve's conversation.

Lucas barely had a plot without the jocks. I guess its tough with all the new screen time given to newer characters.

The plot devices arent so bad to me. Robin seemed to be providing a similar role to 3pO walking in on Han and Leia in ESB.
Macklunkey!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2022, 05:39 PM »
I was really impressed with this season - it might be my favorite so far.  The whole unraveling the plot with One/Vekna was brilliant and there were tons of great plot twists if you weren't spending too much time trying to solve them.  I was seriously panicked the first time Vekna came for Max and haven't been that concerned about a character for a very long time.  This is also probably the only show where I've enjoyed them splitting the cast into separate groups.  I was a big fan of Lost, Walking Dead, and others that tried this, but they weren't able to do it the way ST did and still make you care about what was happening with each "team."  The origin of the Upside down and links back to earlier seasons were excellent as well.  I don't know if there's ever been a movie or show with this big of a cast where everyone got a relevant plot line (except Jonathan I guess).  And I absolutely loved Eddie's character - hoping we get a little more of him next season even if its just flashbacks. 

Yes, some of what happens is a little too convenient I guess, but it all made for good storytelling in my opinion.  I liked the Robin/Nancy duo, but agree that Robin's lesbian love interest wasn't really necessary.  That seems forced into the new Thor: Love and Thunder movie as well.  I don't have anything against it - it just didn't add anything to the story for me.  And I don't really understand Will's odd behavior - he's been fairly useless since the first two seasons.  It would be nice if they could have tapped into his "I sense the upside down" power a little sooner or used him to figure out how to hide better in the upside down.  Those are pretty minor complaints though for what was mostly a kick ass adventure.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2022, 06:28 PM »
Was there ever an explanation as to how Dr. Brenner (Papa) survived S1?  Seemed like he was a goner, but I guess we never saw the body... In this season he had a scar on his face, but I don't recall if he had that in previous seasons.  I was wondering if there were clones of him about.

I suppose Dr. Owens could possibly be alive then since we never saw him killed.  It seemed like one of the military guys stepped into the room to "finish" him before it cut to another scene.  While it seemed that the military wanted to eliminate anyone associated with 11 and Nina, it might be possible that they want him alive now to find El.

Also, I'm curious about why they needed Vecna's portals to create armageddon.  What ever happened to the portals that the Demogorgon created when it kidnapped Will or Barb, or the ones in the field that Hopper went in?  Were they closed?  If not, they obviously did not count in regard to bringing the Upside Down Rightside Up.  I guess I really need to rewatch the previous seasons again.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Was there ever an explanation as to how Dr. Brenner (Papa) survived S1?  Seemed like he was a goner, but I guess we never saw the body... In this season he had a scar on his face, but I don't recall if he had that in previous seasons.  I was wondering if there were clones of him about.

I suppose Dr. Owens could possibly be alive then since we never saw him killed.  It seemed like one of the military guys stepped into the room to "finish" him before it cut to another scene.  While it seemed that the military wanted to eliminate anyone associated with 11 and Nina, it might be possible that they want him alive now to find El.

Did we officially see Papa die, or just get shot a bunch of times?  I was surprised to see him back as well, and if we didn't see his corpse on fire then I think there is a fair chance he'll be back for the next season.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2022, 06:40 PM »
Did we officially see Papa die, or just get shot a bunch of times?  I was surprised to see him back as well, and if we didn't see his corpse on fire then I think there is a fair chance he'll be back for the next season.

That’s true too. He might just be napping from being shot and the emotions of seeing El take off. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:41 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2022, 04:09 PM »

Yes, some of what happens is a little too convenient I guess, but it all made for good storytelling in my opinion.  I liked the Robin/Nancy duo, but agree that Robin's lesbian love interest wasn't really necessary. 

I think Robin's crush is important indirectly. It makes way for Steve and Nancy and it also strengthens Robin and Steve as buddies.
Macklunkey!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2022, 06:27 PM »
It makes way for Steve and Nancy....

I was left wondering what would become of Nancy and Jonathan.  It seemed that Steve and Nancy have unresolved feelings and Steve's matured since his early S1 days.  I'm unsure of where Nancy is on this, but she seemed receptive of Steve's vision of his/their future.  Jonathan and Nancy did the long-distance thing, and while they are kind of together, they showed that there is some communications breakdown in their relationship (Jonathan not wanting to tell Nancy that he hadn't been accepted to the same college yet) and because of that not going out to see her during spring break.

Of course, Steve's maturity talk and visions of a future seem to be the cliche before he gets killed (hoping that's not the case though).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2022, 05:14 PM »
Also, I'm curious about why they needed Vecna's portals to create armageddon.  What ever happened to the portals that the Demogorgon created when it kidnapped Will or Barb, or the ones in the field that Hopper went in?  Were they closed?  If not, they obviously did not count in regard to bringing the Upside Down Rightside Up.  I guess I really need to rewatch the previous seasons again.

The "mother gate" from S1 and larger Tunnel Gate from S2 are shut down by 11 at the end of S2. The Demogorgon creates temporary gates that the wiki describes as dimension wounds that heal on their own.  Kind of like how Marvel characters open up portals to travel elsewhere, but they don't last forever like a Stargate.  I'm guessing the captured ones in Russia don't make gates to escape, because they're not in Hawkins anymore.  Along the same lines, the Russians tried to open a gate at Kamchatka but failed due to lack of power or the dimensional walls being stronger everywhere else but Hawkins.  The Starcourt Gate is closed when Joyce blows up the Russian Gate-Making-Machine, and I think that's all of them until Vekna starts opening the curse gates.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Makes sense to me.  Thanks, Jman!