Author Topic: What's spinning?  (Read 265681 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: What's spinning?
« Reply #360 on: May 26, 2004, 12:21 PM »
Definitely one of my favorites of his, I'm satisfied with Decade for most of the early Neil but have been picking up his new ones past Unplugged.  There's a portion of the past Decade that isn't represented in my catalogue and should be (harvest moon especially)

See, I'm kind of the opposite:  I've got Decade, and it's great (first Neil album I ever bought, actually), but I think I've got most of the post-Decade stuff I need--Rust Never Sleeps, Sleeps with Angels, and Mirror Ball.  Also have the Dead Man soundtrack and the Broken Arrow album, but those. . .  aren't that good essential.  The only other post-Decade albums I'd maybe pick up someday would be Silver & Gold, Unplugged, and Harvest Moon.

But I'd really like to get more of the pre-Decade stuff.  Only one I have so far is Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.  I've been really wanting to get Harvest and Tonight's the Night for a long time.  

When I sell my "Jump to Conclusions" mat, and make a million dollars, maybe I'll finally pick everything up.

(Most YABBC tags ever!)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I remember them very well.  July 27 & July 29, 1977. Both awesome concerts. I saw them again back in May 2, 1997. The opening act was Econoline Crush & they were better than Kiss. Looks like they ran out of steam.  

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 26, 2004, 03:49 PM »

But I'd really like to get more of the pre-Decade stuff.  Only one I have so far is Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.  I've been really wanting to get Harvest and Tonight's the Night for a long time.  

Virex creamcheese, this is your conscience baby.  Please get "After the Goldrush"!!! This is very important.  Picking up "Zuma" isn't a bad idea either.  "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" is a fine intro.

Everyone go for it!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #363 on: May 26, 2004, 05:51 PM »

****. Yeah.

One of those few albums I can listen to all the time and never get tired of, though I like Love Gun more.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #364 on: May 26, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Virex creamcheese

I don't know what this means.

this is your conscience baby.  Please get "After the Goldrush"!!! This is very important.  Picking up "Zuma" isn't a bad idea either.  "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" is a fine intro.

Yeah, I knew I was leaving out a couple of essentials--Goldrush being one of them.  Was thinking of Zuma, too--although I don't know that it's regarded to be on the same level as the others.  But, thanks--one day, I'll buy 'em all.

Everyone go for it!

How can my conscience be recommending Neil Young CDs to everybody else?

(Oh, and soon to be spinning:)

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 26, 2004, 07:26 PM »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 26, 2004, 09:31 PM »
I remember them very well.  July 27 & July 29, 1977. Both awesome concerts. I saw them again back in May 2, 1997. The opening act was Econoline Crush & they were better than Kiss. Looks like they ran out of steam.  

I've seen Kiss four times.  In the 70's (my parents grounded me after, they were big believers in the whole Knights in Satans Service schtick) but it was an amazing concert.  The next time was in the 80's, no makeup and it was a very good show.  Once in the 90's and once in the 00's.  Paul Stanley was the same basically.  Gene Simmons had slowed down quite a bit though and just sort of stood there menacingly (like his wife though).  Peter Criss was behind the kit so you never really saw him.  Ace Frehley was pathetic.  I'm 99% sure he was completely wasted and 94% sure he was wearing a girdle.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 26, 2004, 10:03 PM »

Wonderful album.

I was jamming Depeche Mode earlier today, the Ultra album, and then The Sounds, and then Nirvana Greatest hits.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2004, 12:31 AM »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2004, 10:37 AM »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2004, 11:44 AM »
"Sister" is my favorite Sonic Youth album.

But for right now, I'm spinning

I know, I'm trendy.  Sue me.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 27, 2004, 11:46 AM »
Virex creamcheese

I don't know what this means.

Zappa, "Freak Out", 1966, the last song - has a bit about Suzy Creamcheese.

this is your conscience baby.  Please get "After the Goldrush"!!! This is very important.  Picking up "Zuma" isn't a bad idea either.  "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" is a fine intro.

Yeah, I knew I was leaving out a couple of essentials--Goldrush being one of them.  Was thinking of Zuma, too--although I don't know that it's regarded to be on the same level as the others.  But, thanks--one day, I'll buy 'em all.

Maybe not on the same level, but the songs with Crazy Horse sound like they are from 1 era.  Goldrush - I still think its a big priority to get.

Everyone go for it!

How can my conscience be recommending Neil Young CDs to everybody else?

Awkward transition to first person narrative, sorry.

Hey, and those Sonic Youth records - I think they made me into the man I am today.  Whatever kind of man that is.  Expressway to Yr. Skull, Starpower,...I want to hear Tom Violence right now!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 11:50 AM by Xander »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #372 on: May 28, 2004, 12:15 AM »
You know how sometimes songs can just pop in your head from outta the blue?

It's not the. . . most horrible record ever made. . .

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 3, 2004, 01:27 AM »
Time to right the ship, thanks for ruining the mood Virex  >:(

Mr. Folds really needs to put out some new material

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some