Author Topic: Hoth Wave  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Coat Han, Hoth Luke, R-3PO, Achk Med Beq, Dignitary #2 Carded
« Reply #15 on: November 4, 2003, 10:45 AM »
I really like the looks of this wave, and the beginning of the great offerings for the next year.  I personally think the Luke Hoth looks really good, and the rest of the wave is nice too.  I think that the idea of themed waves is great, hopefully it keeps up, at least until Episode III hits.  I just hope that we are able to find/get these figures in the stores.  It has been better lately, but I still worry a little :).  I guess I should have, or still should, just preorder these and quit worrying :).

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 4, 2003, 10:46 AM »
I like this wave alot, but i was wondering they say they are going to re-card the Luke Skywalker (Throne Room Duel), Darth Vader (Throne Room Duel), on what?  They are already on this card.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: November 4, 2003, 03:13 PM »
BTW I still think the Hoth Han's a craptastic figure no matter what color his coat is. :)

And ok, now I see what you guys meant about R-3PO...  I thought you didn't know he was at Hoth, but I should've known better...

That is a sweeeeet protocol droid, and indeed buying a handful may be worth it.  Best proto droid sculpt ever I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 4, 2003, 05:51 PM »
It just keeps getting better.  I'm seriously running out of room now and will have to resort to a takeover of the empty bedroom when all these figures start hitting the shelves next year.  (It is next year, right??)

Beth

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2003, 10:49 AM »
The end of 12/03 early 1/04 , but yea, i might have to resort to opening my figures, i am getting smashed with all my figures, i have no space, NO SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2003, 02:47 PM »
Are up over at GH

More carded goodness!  I like them all.  Is that a new 3PO mold, at least the arm(s)?  Glad I never went about trying to make a custom R-3PO now!  Nice detail on the the human faces, the scarring and damage on Luke, and the tattoo looking thing on Ahmad.  I could've gone for a slightly darker brown on Han's coat as well, but just the fact that Hasbro made two different colors for the collectors is flat out awesome!  The Imperial Dignitary looks nice, but I still want the tall version that we had in the vintage line.

These guys should be showing up pretty soon now.  Can't wait to add them to the collection!  I'm anxious to hook up the Luke and Wampa cave pieces as well.  That's one of Hasbro's best ideas ever, and one that sounds like something us collectors have been asking for all along - interconnecting playset pieces sold seperately.  Nice!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2003, 04:03 PM »
I am definitely going to attempt the get all these.  I don't really have a burning desire to acquire Ahmed Best's character but most likely I'd snatch him up if he was on the pegs.  I actually really like the Han Hoth figure no matter what color it is :)  

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2003, 04:54 PM »
I'm definitely getting one of each and maybe 2 of R-3PO and Achk Med for customizing.  ;D

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New Hoth Rebel... :(
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2003, 08:54 AM »
When this guy was first rumored, I got that sense of impending doom.  Ever since Endor Han in the Saga line, I've learned to be careful what I wish for, cuz I just might get it.

Every time I see a figure that I've wanted or a resculpt that is coming, I imagine in my head what it SHOULD be, which is usually what most of you guys want too, Articulation, good sculpt, Accessories and weapons in the proper scale.....

But since the Clone 3 Packs came out, I get nervous now when I see a good Army Builder on a Rumor list....I fear the Dynamic Action Pose, the Inability to Hold his weapon in both hands (if it is indeed a 2 handed weapon), and a Uniqueness that would make him standout in an Army instead of blend in.

Sadly for us, the New Hoth Rebel, fails 2 parts of my 3 part test.  

This makes Complete Failures in the Saga Line for 2 of the 3 Rebel troops. (unlike Jesse, I can Forgive the Rebel Fleet Trooper's short comings and I AM aware that they were only RE-packaged in Saga from POTJ)

I do have a question on the figure though, is that Pistol Removable from the holster?  That would be a bonus if the pistol is a good sculpt and not gummi-plastic.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hoth Wave
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2003, 10:16 AM »
I order Hoth Luke and R3PO from OMGCFO.com and got them this last weekend.  Luke is a great figure, but the goggles he comes with absolutely SUCK.  I sort of wish his face was a running variant sort of thing too with a scratched and non scracthed version...  Nice figure

R-3PO is also nice, I am not a huge fan of Hasbro's change in Protocol droids finish.  Used to be the vac-metal type of this and now it seems to be flat molded plastic which looks dull (the new Escape Pod 3PO has this same pisspoor quality)   I love the new molding though

This wave seems to be hitting all over the country, keep them eyes peeled

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Hoth Wave
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2003, 03:50 AM »
Well I've gotten the Hoth Luke and Hoth Trooper from this wave just the other day (btw is the 2nd Imperial Dignitary and Ack-Mehd Beq also part of this wave? I got them alongside the Hoth figs). And Jesse's concerns about the Hoth Trooper are well founded, the lack of articulation for an army builder is sad, what could have made up for it was a more action-oriented pose. The only real pose he can have with his rifle is sticking out in an awkward position that no infantry personnel would use in firing his large weapon. The sculpt could be a bit better, it's a stocky guy and it does reek of POTF2 which in this case isn't a good thing. He does fit nicely as a background trooper in my Hoth display and I'd probably buy a 2nd one if the paint job isn't as shoddy as on the particular figure I bought. BTW The holster is NOT functional, the blaster is sculpted onto it. :(

Onto the Hoth Luke, this is a nicely sculpted figure that should have been used as the basis for the Hoth Trooper, but I'm intrigued on the choice of articulation when I compare it to Ack-Mehd Beq. The articulation given to this Luke is ok for what is intended, Luke hanging upside down in the Wampa cave. He has ball socket shoulders and an interesting secondary neck articulation point that allows Luke to look up and down. But why does a figure of a tertiary character who got about 2 seconds of screen time get 14 pts of articulation when the main character of the Original Trilogy who has a figure in the same wave have half the amount of articulation? It's just mind boggling. And the paint job on the accessories of the Luke are spotty and flaky just like on the Hoth Trooper. I hope thats not a trend of shoddy painting for the future. Oh yeah, the holster that comes with Luke is not usable, it has no gun in it, but it couldnt hold a gun either.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 03:50 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2003, 10:44 AM »
I found most of this wave, though I still lack Luke and R-3PO. I found the recarded Hoth Han, but it was a blue coat version. Damnation.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2003, 10:12 AM »
I was able to pick up an R-3PO, the 2nd Dignitary, and also an Ultra Rieekan this past weekend.  I was happy to find them, but was really hoping to pick up the Hoth Luke and the Ultra Wampa.  These figures seem to be pretty hot right now, but at least they are shipping to a lot of places...and many people aren't in the 2003 rut as badly anymore.  I also saw the Ack Mehd Beck figure (or whatever it is named) alongside the R-3PO and Dignitary, I think they all ship together, although I'm not 100% sure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2003, 07:14 PM »
I've found them all now, except:

Wampa
Ach Med Beq
2nd Dignitary

The Hoth wave is truly a mix of ups and downs...  The luke's a great figure, but the lack of a working holster, the goggles, and some other things kind of bring him down a notch.  Still a great figure, just could've been a LOT better with some little tweakings here and there.  (Scott mentioned a running change with a "Clean" heasculpt which would've been nice too).

The Hoth Trooper though, is a terrible figure.  He's everything I felt he would be from early shots, so I'm thorougly disappointed in him.  He lacks everything an army builder should have...  Articulation is weak, pose is awkward, he's extremely short for some reason, and his face has a sort of dumbfounded look, and his holster doesn't work.  These things truly kick this figure down a lot of notches.  

I hope he sees a super articulated resculpt someday, because I'm finding the Hoth uniform hides articulation quite well in all the folds and wrinkles.  Then again I think Hasbro's pretty good at hiding all articulation in any uniform anymore.  Even Aalya Secura's bare-shoulders are a sort of hidden joint suprisingly.

R-3PO is a great sculpt, and while some are saying he's reused partly from the Deluxe 3PO last year, I don't believe them to be correct.  He's got a much crisper detail to him, or at least mine do, and I am noticing very VERY slight differences.  The main one being the electronic/wiring of the torso is noticeably different than C-3PO's was.  It's longer/larger.

Reuse of parts or not though, it's a great figure from top to bottom, if not maybe a little dull.  His only flaws to me are articulation and the lack of a decent accessory.  The stand's dull, but a Hoth equipment box, or a piece of console, or even a Hoth-specific base would've been better.

Good figure though, and looks neat with K-3PO.

The others I'd picked up earlier...  now I just need those variation figures, and the Wampa, and I'll be set.  Should be fun tracking those down.  ugh...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2003, 09:18 PM »
I hope my buddy will find these quick.

as my Hoth Diorama can't live without these ;)

Nice review :)