Author Topic: Timegap Between EpIII and EpIV  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Timegap Between EpIII and EpIV
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 10:51 AM »
Not sure where to put this question, so I'll drop it in here.

How long between III and IV?  Well, how about how long between III and V? 

Long enough apparently for Obi to forget about Leia.  This was one aspect that really sort of irritated me in ROTS.  Obi is there for the birth of the children, they have the conversation regarding where to take Luke AND Leia after they are born.  Obi knows about Leia.  Yet in ESB Obi states that boy is our last hope to which Yoda replies no, there is another.  You all know it well.  How is that resolved? >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Long enough apparently for Obi to forget about Leia.  This was one aspect that really sort of irritated me in ROTS.  Obi is there for the birth of the children, they have the conversation regarding where to take Luke AND Leia after they are born.  Obi knows about Leia.  Yet in ESB Obi states that boy is our last hope to which Yoda replies no, there is another.  You all know it well.  How is that resolved? >:(

I think Obi-Wan says that because Luke had been trained by them, while Leia hadn't.  Realistically at that point, he was the last hope they had in Obi-Wan's point of view because he knew how much potential Luke had.  Ben had been able to watch over Luke and watch him develop, but he had no idea if Leia was even capable of being trained. 

Maybe that exchange was Yoda's way of reminding Obi-Wan that if they had to, they could start over with Leia if Luke got bumped off?  Yoda's way of letting Ben know that Leia too was connected to the Force like Luke.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 02:12 PM »
Obi Wan may also be looking at the fact that if Vader is using "Pain and Torture" to get Luke to come find him, Vader may very well  kill Leia to lure him in (not knowing who she is).

So you have one-half of your chances at saving the universe, running off to save the other half.  If Vader has Leia AND he defeats/turns Luke, then he was the last hope.

Does that make any sense?