Author Topic: Yavin Wave  (Read 22888 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New Figures at SW.com and Hasbro - Yavin Wave
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Yeah I'm in the we don't need a new Bossk camp too...sure I'll buy a new articulated version but there were other figures I was hoping more for.  Oh well...that is usually the case :-*

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 05:42 PM »
I do like the POTF2 Bossk, but I think this will be a figure that you won't really think you need until you see it. I'm definitely happy with this news.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 09:05 PM »
That TIE Pilot is going to make an AWESOME addition to my ever growing Imperial Army.  I'm going to have to get a ton of them!  The detail on his breathing apparatus and helmet are incredible!  All of these figures look great, but Captain Antille's face looks a bit odd.  Gold Leader is phat!
dustrho

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2003, 11:01 PM »
They look pretty good. Not Hasbro's best work, but they are nice. I'll pick them all up.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 08:56 AM »
Happy with most of these...

Can't wait to pick up a batch of these to try some head swaps... Sweet sweet sweet.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2003, 07:04 PM »
Like I always say, any new OT background figures make me one happy man!  These certainly do the trick for me.  Gold Leader is fantastic!  Many a head swap going on this fella!  But what's with his crooked chin strap?  That's rather odd.  Aside from the youthful face of Antilles, he looks excellent!  The helmet will always be on, so I don't mind too much.  Nice detail, and hopefully there's some good articulation in him that will provide for him to be placed in that classic choking scene with Vader!  The detail on him is quite nice.  Dodonna is perfect for those ceremonial dioramas we've all set up at one point.  Good to finally get him.  The Tie Pilot does the least for me, just since the prior ones seemed pretty good to me.  But hopefully this one will sport loads of articulation, rendering the prior one pointless.  If they're going to redo an already well done figure, best to uber-articulate it!   8)

Dodonna -  I guess everyone (except the talented customizers) will hope for another Dodonna later on in his War Room coat.  That would be cool too, even on a minor character such as this.

Simple head swap with the new Antilles should do the trick Jedimac.  Even less than talented customizers can pull that off!  I wonder if Hasbro considered this idea, which is why they went with the trenchcoated version of Dodonna instead.  If so, that was an excellent idea.  But I suppose with the similarly uniformed Antilles, it was a no-brainer that the Dodonna being released in the same wave better look substantially different than him, lest you wind up with two very similar looking, boring Rebel officers.   :P  Whatever the case, good choice by Hasbro.

Can't wait to get these guys, and a good many of each!  Nice job Hasbro.   8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2003, 05:43 PM »
Ah, I'm just laughing over here. :)

OK ok ok, I'll start off with this...  I'd take a new Bossk, and only because Trandoshans get ALL da ladies...  He's one of my more favored characters, so I'd like a new one with more articulation sure.  I can see the point of not wanting one right now though.  

It's a good figure for POTF2, it could be a great figure for Saga, that's all I'm sayin'...

Now, onto my Yavin Wave opinions, which is probably my most anticipated wave of figures.

Why you ask?  Well, simple, it's ALLLLLLLLLLL army building and customizing fodder.  Look at that wave!  Awesome.  ;D  I'm beamin' with excitement and the chance to gloat a little.  heh

-TIE Pilot...  Obviously the least interesting considering we've had TIE Pilots galore in POTF2.  Not new sculpts really, but not a "bad" sculpt in the first place and then improved with knee articulation.  Pretty nifty I though...  I have lots.  The good news is the NEW TIE pilot doesn't necessarily make the old one look bad, but it's definitely an improvement in sculpt judging by the photos.

I wish they were lighter so I could make out the articulation count, but I'll live with the darker images for now.  It was touted as "super articulated" I believe which is nice and gives me hope for a really nice army builder figure.  Definitely looks more properly scaled/proportioned by its sculpt in those photos.  I love it....  Even though I didn't really have it on my list of things i wanted.

-Gold Leader...  AWESOME!  Look at it!  I wish he didn't have his helmet on in the photo is the only thing.  I'd love to see the headsculpt to get a good look at how nice it is.  The blaster pistol's a nice addition, and it's nice to see Hasbro sculpting chinstraps on helmets now...  It's about time they took a page from some other toy companies that have been doing it for a while now.

If I had complaints, it would be a lack of articulation, and the pose is SLIGHTLY exagerated, but I still like the figure overall.  It's within the realm of greatness.  Not perfection, but as good as Hasbro generally does.  Another grand customizing figure.

Hmmmm, I wonder if those leg straps are molded plastic and just a separate/flexible piece, or if they're cloth?  If they're cloth, Hasbro bogarted a customizing idea i had a LONG time ago.  If they're plastic, I'll be impressed if they let the figure's legs pose well enough.

-General Jan Dodonna...  WOW, another doozie!  His headsculpt looks good enough IMO...  Captures his intense look of leadership.  I always like to think of Dodonna as kind of the Patton of the Alliance.  I can't see his bodysculpt to determine if they reused Antilles parts, but they hopefully haven't since Dodonna's a hefty fellow with a fairsized pot bellie.  I also wonder if he'll have his waistcoat on underneath of his trench coat.

I'd say  his accessories are a bigger disappointment than the figure...  Not that I mind getting a blaster, it's great if they use that sculpt, but we all probably were hoping for a tactical map, or even just a little screen of the briefing map or something.  Oh well...  I'll take a blaster and a nicely sculpted figure of Dodonna for now...  The medals are just "eh" to me.  OK, but not too great.  

I'm still happy to get this guy, and can't wait to use the pieces to make more Rebel Generals.

-Captain Colton Antilles...  Ahhhhh, finally.  

So to everyone who said they COULD NOT make a removable Fleet Trooper helmet, I laughed out loud at you today when I finally got the chance to take a gander at these new figures.  :)  Hasbro can, and has...  They really made a superior product to the POTJ figure overall with Antilles it seems.  Sculpt is crisper, the blaster (so far) looks 100x superior to even the prototype blaster the POTJ RFT had, and that removable helmet is damned nice looking.  Right down to the chinstrap...  Yes, Hasbro even included a chinstrap.  

Antilles only real problem is articulation IMO...  I don't mind the headsculpt.  It's got enough of a dumbfounded look to believe that Vader's killing him, and yet it's also neutral enough to buy the figure in droves and pop his helmet on and have a nice officer corps for your Rebel armies.  

The articulation is a bit of a bummer...  Articulated knees and ankles would've made him flawless IMO really, and he'd look neat like he's "dangling" with Vader's fist around his throat or something.  I mean that custom woulda been a no-brainer.  

One other "problem" is his shirt collar's not accurate totally.  Antilles had a buttoned collar I do believe, but no biggie...  It's a great custom fodder figure, and a good army builder for most people...  It's articulated semi-well, has a GREAT to-scale blaster (So much for me making my own) and a nice sculpt overall.  I can't wait to buy this guy in droves.  This'll be a case I order, no doubt.

So anyway, I got my good laugh in. :)  I feel vindicated and I'm happy Hasbro gave the removable helmet...  A thanks goes to them personally.

Now if I could only get them to make a NEW Rebel Fleet Trooper with all these improvements and some better articulation/pose. :)  Eh, I'll be happy with Antilles for now...

So that's my initial response right now.

This wave looks great...  I'm reading about people saying how "Dull" and boring the characters are, and be that as it may, I think these will be figures that do well...  The potential uses for these figures, and the fact people will want multiples, I think that will push this wave pretty well at retail.

Can't wait to pick these up, and I really am much more excited for 2004's figure line-up than ever.  I'm happy as a clam right now!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 10:00 AM »
EE has the Yavin wave up for preorder as well as a case assortment

1x Elom - Jabba's Palace Alien (NEW)
2x Dutch Vander - Gold Leader (NEW)
2x TIE Fighter Pilot (NEW)
2x General Jan Dodonna - Battle of Yavin (NEW)
2x Captain Antilles - Fans Choice #5 (NEW)
1x Lando in Skiff Guard Disguise
1x J Quille - Jabba's Palace Alien
1x Hologram Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Yavin Wave
« Reply #23 on: February 4, 2004, 05:34 PM »
Great Googoly Moogoly, they're out!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: February 4, 2004, 05:52 PM »
Holy crap!  Already?!?   :o  Slow down, I haven't found the Jabba's Palace stuff yet!

Very interesting to see these figures pop up here in the States before we saw any carded images, and very few loose images of them anywhere else.  Boy, I sure home that's one of those new "ball jointed" necks on that Antilles figures, 'cause I'd hate to have him staring at the sky all the time!   ::)  I'm guessing he'll have that simalar "head on a stick" thing happening, like some of the other recent figures.  I'm also assuming that we're going to be getting another Vader in a choking position to go with this figure as well...

Time to really hit the streets, now that I'm suddenly two waves behind again!   :'(

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2004, 06:07 PM »
Time to really hit the streets, now that I'm suddenly two waves behind again!   :'(

Could be worse, I think I'm four waves back now :-\.
Beth

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2004, 06:29 PM »
I feel lucky to have spotted the JP wave at this point.  I've not seen hide nor hair of the Tatooine wave, save for the Bar2-D2 that I'm thinking was just a repack in the JP wave.

I needs me some R1-G4 and a Jedi Luke.

But, this wave...  I need all too much of this wave.  Multiples of ALL of them. :(  Especially Antilles and Gold Leader.  

The hunt's on.  I just hope these things are easy enough to find.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2004, 07:40 PM »
*squeels in delight about the new TIE Pilot*

Too bad Ill never see one at retail.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #28 on: February 4, 2004, 08:17 PM »
Jabba Palace Wave,  Ultra Wave #2, now these. Man I need to catch up soon.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

At least I found my Unleashed today. :)
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 4, 2004, 08:49 PM »
lucky for me i only collect the cool ones  ;D. i think i'll only get the tie fighter (thats if i ever even see him).