Author Topic: Yavin Wave  (Read 22882 times)

SilverZ

Re: Yavin Wave
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2004, 09:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up! Its even better looking than I figured, and a lot easier too, judging by the article. Nicely done, Hasbro, indeed!

SilverZ

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2004, 09:52 PM »
OK, did it. Easiest custom ever. Here's taking it a step further (sloppy, I know):

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2004, 12:38 AM »
I just boiled and popped mine, worked like a charm!  Cool stuff

I also popped the head off old Gold Leader, put a Luke head on there, looks better, he's too tall though...that Gold Leader figure is way taller than the rest of the Red/Gold Squadron figs :-\

NOW...to make these guys

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2004, 12:42 AM »
Oh, I mplan on using a Ric Olie head for Vanden Willard  and maybe for Hudsol too...Lajaie...maybe a Chancellor Valorum

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2004, 01:39 AM »
No offense or anything, but I think figures of ugly things that walk on two legs should be limited to things in costumes or CGI. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2004, 03:06 AM »
I noticed something on the swap of parts, and not to be a downer on it, but there's a color difference between the arms and the coats when you swap them.  :(  It's not HUGE, but it's noticeable.  I thought maybe anyone curious would want to know though...

Also, a skintone difference between the heads and hands of the figures...  Dodonna's definitely tanner than Antilles, and their hands don't mix with the heads then without a little oddity.

I don't think Hasbro intended this idea, I think it's coincidental at this point...  The color variances just don't match up.  Then again, they claim they intended the KB TIE's cockpit was intentionally made to work with the TIE Int's from TRU, and the color of both didn't match at all (despite what Hasbro said).  

Maybe they (Hasbro) just suck?  Nah...  Not possible.   :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Yeah, the color tone of the plastic of Antille's coat is just the tiniest bit darker than Dodonna's arms. Also, the collar of Antille's jacket hangs really low at the back of the neck. Certainly not perfect.

Also, a skintone difference between the heads and hands of the figures...  Dodonna's definitely tanner than Antilles, and their hands don't mix with the heads then without a little oddity.

So I take it you've swapped Antille's arms onto the Dodonna body, in order to address the color difference then? I really don't like the lack of flexibility on them, and they're way off scale (smaller) in the hands than the Dodonna arms. I even tried pulling the hands out of their sockets just to make the D custom a bit more unique, but the sockets are different as well as too small in scale.

Knowing Hasbro, this was intended, and then botched up when they went to manufacture and the plastic color was off between Antilles/Dodonna runs.  :-\ But all that aside, I actually like the War Room custom Dodonna better than the off-the-shelf version!  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2004, 03:50 AM »
I've not bothered with a full custom, but I did take them apart out of curiosity.

Also, I think i'm the first person on Earth to realize Antilles DOES have waist articulation, contrary to everyone else.  It's just very strangely done so it sort of locks in place, but it is there.

I'd heard all over that he didn't till I was looking at him closely one day and noticed a definite seam there.  TIE Pilot has one too, but I can't get my only one to move at the waist so I'm gonna wait till I have one to boil/pop for fodder before I figure out what's doing on him.

I personally don't find Antilles or Dodonna particularly "great" custom fodder in the arms (either one), so I'll maybe eventually tweak them to have a more versatile arm set on both characters.  Hasbro's F'd up arm articulation makes some of these figures only good in two poses, and that flat out SUCKS.

Jedi Luke was slightly more useful as his arms weren't so sharply bent, but Dodonna and Antilles (And the TIE Pilot's right arm) are all very useless beyond one, or possibly two poses.  Disappointing in my book considering a single ball/socket elbow would give full range of motion to the arm and be better hidden ultimately since it sinks into the socket and shows no gap like the cut joints do.  

I can see the argument for aesthetics (if the company were aiming for things like McFarlane's company), but when the BETTER joint also looks better to the less versatile one, then I just don't see why Hasbro goes with the craptacular "posed" joint.

More articulation on paper doesn't always = great figure I guess is the moral I've learned with some of the latest figs.  

Antilles is neat, and far superior to lots of other Saga figs though, that's for sure.  I'm just getting disappointed in the way Hasbro's doing things.  These figures don't even need super articulation to be great, just a little better use of the ball/socket joint at shoulders, elbows, and knees.  Then things would really be going better.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2004, 11:02 PM »
What a wonderful suprise it was on Wednesday morning to walk into the Gator Hole Plaza Wal-Mart in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and find the Yavin wave. Now, you are absolutley not going to belive this...what I saw sitting on the pegs was almost providencial...the entire wave in litteral droves! There were about ten pegs full, so I assume that they fresh of the truck.

Anyway, here are my impressions of the this wave, figure by figure....

General Jan Doddona: I don't particuarly care for his pose, or his treanch coat for that matter, so that's why when I first found him (a whole two weeks ago, sitting alone on the pegs) I pulled his arms out (easily, almost as easy as some of 21st Paratroopers) but was disapointed to find that they did not reconnect as easily as some people would have you belive. Anyhoo, other than that he's a decent figure, tommorow I'll finish the customizing job.

Captain Antilles: I LOVE this figure! Great command building fodder, he also has some nice articulation (though limited). I have some ideas for his helmet though...maybe a Seperatist militiamen or something. I bought three of this particular figure.

TIE Fighter pilot: A nice figure...he's mainly going to fill the ranks of my Imperial Pilots. One thing about him that I'm not sure about is his height. Kinda short IMO...
I purchased two

Dutch Vander: Despite popular opinion, I don't think he is the ''be all end all'' figure, however, he'll look good next to the other rebels, and should fit nicely with my Y-Wing. Baised on that I bought one.

So there you have it's a nice wave with good armybuilders, and luckly I got my fill. Strange thing is that I found this wave twice in this quantity, and within twentey miles of each other. However, Myrtle Beach has been notoriously good to me, be it from finding Motti in 2000 to finding all the early 2003's in March. Luck I guess...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -