Author Topic: cd review: korn - take a look in the mirror  (Read 1183 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
cd review: korn - take a look in the mirror
« on: November 20, 2003, 01:07 AM »
artist: korn
title: take a look in the mirror
release date: 11/21/03

well, let me start off by saying that i was a huge fan of korn's first, self-titled album, as well as life is peachy and follow the leader. but, i absolutely hated issues and untouchables. i thought they both sucked ass. but with this album, it looks as if korn is going to win at least one fan back to the fold....

track listing:

1. right now - good song, rockin' jam... current single and video. getting a little tired of hearing this one now, because we keep mtv and fuse on all day at work and this video is getting a lot of airplay, probably to promote the release. but the first few times i heard it, i loved it... 7/10

2. break some off - another good, rockin' jam. good beat, heavy sound... 8/10        

3. counting on me -   one of those "starts slow but gets better" kinda songs... 6/10

4. here it comes again - another of those "starts slow...." type songs, but it's typical korn... 8/10

5. deep inside - good song, good beat. good flow to the music/lyrics... 8/10

6. did my time - song that was written for the second tomb raider movie, and was featured in the movie, but didn't make it to the soundtrack?? another one that i am a little tired of hearing, because it was on the radio and tv every 30 seconds. but it's still a good song... 7/10

7. everything i've known - slow song, sounds like it's very personal to j. davis (but then again, with korn, what's not personal to j. davis?)... 6/10

8. play me (featuring nas) - my personal favorite track. but it's not for everyone. pure korn beat and music with nas doing pure nas over the rythym. sounds like maybe fieldy wrote this one, but i love it... 9.5/10

9. alive - good song, heavy driving beat... 8/10

10. let's do this now - another good one, starts with the trademark bagpipes. not the best on the album, but close... 8.5/10

11. i'm done -  another heavy one with some good lyrics, a little slow to start, but the groove is solid... 7/10

12. ya'll want a single - one of the funniest, if not the funniest, korn song ever. kinda has a little hip hop sound to it, and a little swagger to the beat. sounds like he's just talking about the band itself... but the best part is the chorus - 'ya'll want a single, say f*** that, f*** that, f*** that' - great stuff. tied with "play me" for favorite track... 9.5/10

13. when will this end - a good song to end the album. the only problem i have with this track is the 10 minutes of blank space that are tacked on to the end before we get to the "hidden" track... 8/10

hidden track - one - the version they played at the metallica icon special on mtv. a decent version of a classic... 8/10

final thoughts: like i said, this album definitely gets me back to admiting that i'm a fan of korn. i was so depressed after issues and untouchables, i thought they had lost their edge. but this album should bring them back to the popularity and fanbase that they had after the first few albums... go buy it!!  ;D