Author Topic: Tatooine Wave (Luke, R2 and R1)  (Read 20031 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: New Hasbro Jabba Palace Announcement!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 11:03 AM »
Hopefully they get the scale correct on the R1 droid.  IIRC, the essential guide to droids has it slightly taller than a protocol droid.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2003, 11:31 AM »
 :o

Wow.  Damn.  Wow.  

Me like droids.  

Nice Luke.  

Need a new online seller.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2003, 11:32 AM »
This R2 also looks amazing!

Indeed it does.

I've been wanting a really clean, well-articulated Artoo for a long, long time--something like the R2-Q5, only with an Artoo paint job--and this looks like it could be it.

We'll have to wait and see what it looks like without the serving tray (i.e. if there's a hole in the dome).  If there's not, and this is just a normal Artoo with the serving tray attached on, this is easily going to be the best Artoo they've ever done.

The Luke looks fantastic too, of course--I just wish they would have also shown it without the cloak on, like the pic from Wizard World.  

Cool stuff.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2003, 12:19 PM »
Just wanted to point out...

2. Vintage Klaatu
5. Hermi Odle
6. Skiff Nikto
7. Yarna d'al' Gargan
8. Weequay Skiff Master
9. J'Quille
10. Sgt Doallyn

This is my Jabba's Palace Portion of my top 10 ROTJ list...I really think they could do another Jabba's Wave later in the year with Weequay, Yarna, Doallyn and Hermi and have another Klaatu/Barada/Nikto Screen scene with alternatives to the original troika

That would be fantastic if it came down the pipe like that.  That would practically wipe out all I'd ever want from Jabba's Palace.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2003, 01:33 PM »
Nice call on the Whipid too stan and Jimmy ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2003, 01:46 PM »
As we speak there are 26 figures planned from now through the Jabba Wave in March '04

Left Over EpII Figures and others
October-Novemeber 2003
Achk Med-Beq (Episode II)
Padme Amidala (Tatooine Episode II)
McQuarrie Stormtrooper (Fan's Choice #4)
Bail Organa (Episode II)
Imperial Dignitary #1 (Episode VI)
Imperial Dignitary #2 (Episode VI)
Ayy Vida (Nightclub Episode II)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Nightclub Episode II)
Elan Sleazebaggano (Nightclub Episode II)

Hoth
November-December 2003 (first wave of '04)
Luke Skywalker (Saga Hoth)
R-3PO
Hoth Rebel Soldier (Battle of Hoth)
General Rieekan (Episode V)
Wampa

Tatooine
December-January 2004
Luke Skywalker (Jabba's Palace, Episode VI)
R1-G4
R2-D2 (bartender)
C-3PO (Escape Pod)

Jabba's Palace
January-February 2004
Elom
J'Quille
Jabba the Hutt
B'omarr Monk
Rappertunie
Bubo
Luke Skywalker (Hologram)
Wol Cabbashite

Battle of Yavin
February-March 2004
General Dodonna
Captain Antilles

Star Destroyer
March-April 2004
Dengar

With 4-8 figures per wave we are looking as many as 9 more jsut through May and that gives a total of 35.

Add to that fact that H has said there will be a Wave per month in '04 we may be seeing over 70 new figures next year.  That is more than what they put out in a movie year!  Amazing!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 02:25 PM by OCB »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2003, 01:57 PM »
The only thing I can say disappointed me about this news is no Hermi Odle, who was the one Jabba's Palace character I truly was interested in.

Not that the others are BAD announcements.  They'll be great additions to the gang of uglies already produced.  I just wanted Hermi Odle more than anything else from JP.

The pictures shown are amazing, though I'd like to have seen Luke without the cloak too (I love the cloth cloak by the way!  FINALLY some Soft Goods stuff so our figures can be posed!), but it's looking nice even with the cloak on.

Nice touch on the blaster too.  I wonder if we'll get a Gammorean with working holster some day?  Wouldn't that be a dandy extra to put the blaster in, and recreate the scene all together?

The R2's definitely got signs of greatness.  The 3rd ankle appears articulated as do his outer ankles, which is a good sign (His just having a retractible 3rd leg is a good sign).  My worries lie in the tray and serving spout.  What's left on his dome if the spout is removeable?  And does the tray come off even (If it does that's a really tight fit).  If there's only a tiny pinhole on top of his dome, and the tray removes then I agree that this could very well be the finest R2 ever.

It would be the R2 that the Flying Saga R2 SHOULD have been, with removeable accessories and a heavily articulated astromech body underneath.  We'll just have to wait and see if Hasbro thought this figure out properly.

The R1 droid, tied with Luke, was the highlight image to me...  I've seen Luke before so I wasn't so gaga over that, but that R1 is just sweet.  I wonder if it'll be a single carded figure or what he could come with?  Kind of bland for an individual figure just the way they've been packaging things of late.  Still, it's a new droid that looks amazing.

Isn't it ironic that we'll get an R1 droid before we received a decent R5-D4 figure?  

I would've never predicted that one personally.

And the list of figures was just great!  A truly "A list" of characters I think that MANY collectors wanted (Even if my Hermi wasn't on it).  Bubo's probably my favorite announcement cuz he bites at people, but the whiphid iisn't a bad choice either, and just the # of people who've made a custom of him s hould warrant Hasbro to make an "official" one.

Now I hope next time they go to the skiffs and crank out some new goons, and Hermi Odle of course from the palace.  The skiffs could use some "new" guys though, like Sgt. Doalynn, a Human guard, the cackling Nikto, Weequay Skiffmaster, etc...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Just know that this stuff is early 2004 probably up until Spring at the very most. Hermie can't be ruled out just yet  ;) ... just yet...

Along w/ a lot of the other things I mentioned on some internal lists.

Thanks for nod man  :-*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 02:15 PM by Jimmy »
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2003, 03:17 PM »
A couple of nit-picky thoughts I came up with as I read the news:

J'Quille

Elom

Looks to me like we might be seeing a bit of parts sharing between these two figures. A simple head-swap and different deco would suit these two. Especially with all the figures planned for their wave...

Tatooine wave has three figures, which means four per case (and leaves R2 and R1 to duke it out for the pegwarmer of the bunch). Palace wave has five, so the ratio there will be screwed up. I'll guess three each of Lando and Shawda Ubb, plus two each of J'Quille, Elom, and Luke. They could really mix it up by making Luke a one-per or J'Quille and Elom replace one another as a running change.

For my money, I'll bet the B'omarr Monk will be a straight rehash of the exclusive version, so now I have to decide if a wall monster and Bubo are worth ten bucks. That was a deluxe set I didn't see coming, and just proves that assortment is wide-open now.

Holographic Luke sounds really cool to me...the best surprise yet. And it's great to see the fantastic job done on the R1. I'm looking forward to searching for all of these!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2003, 03:47 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the announcements.  Some decent holes in the OT creatures and characters are finally getting filled with the 2004 line.  How they come out is certainly a concern, but the way the line has improved over the past three years gives me hope that they'll be decent.

As for some things not making the list?  I think you still need to chock it up to patience.  Some items need to be held for some measure of time just to maintain interest in the line as it moves forward.  I think we'll eventually get characters like Hermi Odle, and Hem Dazon, etc.  It seems more like a matter of when, rather than if.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2003, 05:29 PM »
I'm really happy with the announcements, even if I am slightly surprised/disappointed not to see Hermie, but he's inevitable.  R1 and R2 look fantastic.  I'm so happy with those, and Luke, too.  J'Quille!   ;D  Next year looks to be fantastic.  

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2003, 05:54 PM »
Holy!  :o [spicolli]That's awesome! Totally awesome![/spicolli]

Now that's a complete quality turnaround from Hasbro, in what, less than a year? We went from action features mutilating core character resculpts to figures of highly collector oriented characters that could possibly exceed the best of the POTJ era. Amazing.

This makes me really excited about the hobby again, and believe me, it was needed.

Sidethought - It also puts into perspective the new Jabba - its obvious Hasbro is trying to offer a lot of bang for the buck in the Deluxe line (Ultra now?) by putting as much diversity into it as possible, while keeping the assortments retailers have to order to a minimum. They can do beasts on that card, figure 2-packs, or even figures with vehicles. It's really smart, but still a shame, since a really, really good Jabba absolutely requires a Deluxe Beast assortment scale pricepoint to be what we really want. But I get what they're trying to do.

'04 is looking just dandy. Couldn't be happier with the pics or the announced figs. :)

J

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2003, 07:18 PM »
TOO AWESOME! I'm getting them all! Hopefully, they will be easy to find this year.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2003, 11:03 PM »
If I might add...I'm genuinely surprised to see the holographic Luke on the list.  I think I might've mentioned it on a wishlist at some point.  I didn't think it would actually happen!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline stan

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose Your Destiny!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Exciting is not the word!!!!  Wow !!! 2004 is going to great year for us
collectors.  The recent pictures are great and I am HAPPY ;D that
Hasbro went ahead and posted some new images. Still holding
out hope for the rumor Bib Fortuna and Hermie Olde.  I know that
the premilary draWING WAS DONE FOR THIS FIGURES!!!!   This
may be a part of some the new Sceen Sceens for 2004!!! Remember
that Jimmy said they had these on the internal lists and that
they were tossing around a few ideas on how they were going to
add Hermie to mix!!!!  So lets have HOPe that we will see for
2004 a Screen Sceen that will included Hermie Olde, Bib Fortuna,
Ephant Mon.    Also the Hem Dazon could be very well apart
of this new mix-Baniss Keogg,Hem Dazon, and Bom Vimdin!!!!
Jimmy have you heard any more of this possibilities!!!!!!!!!!