Author Topic: What's the difference between...  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
What's the difference between...
« on: November 25, 2003, 10:49 PM »
Nikto's battle staff and Yakface's staff?

Looking through the action figure archive, they look awful similar.  Is that accurate or was there some creative license/error in the photos?  I wouldn't be surprised to see the same weapon for both figures as that seemed very common through the vintage line.

Nowhere near acquiring a Yakface, but wondering if I should snag two complete Nikto's?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: What's the difference between...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 11:03 PM »
yeah they are both the same weapon which is nice, since its rare to find a yakface with the staff. i can't recall though whether the POTF yak came with the weapon or was that the tri-logo yak....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 11:32 PM »
american potf yak came with his staff, tri logo did not.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 11:37 PM »

So technically, most of the figures should not have the staff anyway, even though they are complete.  My understaning was many more Yakface in Europe than US.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 11:42 PM »

My understanding is that this figure was never released in America.

I also am of the understanding that Nikto and the Yak Face staff are the same.

-Fish-

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 11:44 PM »

So technically, most of the figures should not have the staff anyway, even though they are complete.  My understaning was many more Yakface in Europe than US.

That is a way to look at it but the YakFace I obtain will have to have his staff in order for it to be complete.  Most vintage loose collectors I assume would feel the same way.  

-Fish-

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 12:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm right there with you.  Whence I break down (and stow away enough money away from my wife's eyes) and obtain a Yakface, I would like him to have a weapon.  But I'm wondering if I can save $$ by buying an "incomplete" version and then spending a few $$ on a Nikto complete to get the staff.  Or perhaps find a vintage weapons lot, given that I need more than one weapon anyway.  

My bad.  According to the action figure archive, you are correct, not sold in US.  Trilogo versions in Europe and POTF coin cards in Canada and Australia.  

Hey, wait a second.  I'm in Canada :o  Time to start hitting garage sales with the wife.  

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 01:44 AM »

Hey, wait a second.  I'm in Canada :o  Time to start hitting garage sales with the wife.  

Actually despite the fact that Kenner Canada was responsible for the Yak Face, it was not sold in Canada. Strange but true. They got shipped off to Australia to be sold there.  The Yak was supposed to be a planned mail away in the US but that never happened due to SW interest fading.

Shawn

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 09:31 AM »
You guys missed one. The Barada staff is the same also for both Nikto & Yak Face!  :-*

The POTF Yak Face came with a staff & the Trilogo did not though the Trilogo version has been known to come packed with a black Luke Endor Gun & Tusken Raider Gaffi stick!  

Read up on this post from the past from RS!  

yak face question

I wish I could find pictures of that Yak with the Luke Endor Gun. Seeing was believing!   8)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm right there with you.  Whence I break down (and stow away enough money away from my wife's eyes) and obtain a Yakface, I would like him to have a weapon.  But I'm wondering if I can save $$ by buying an "incomplete" version and then spending a few $$ on a Nikto complete to get the staff.  Or perhaps find a vintage weapons lot, given that I need more than one weapon anyway.  

Definitely a cheaper route.  I bought mine seperately and saved a bundle.  I believe I got his weapon at www.theearthtoymall.com for $5.  They still have them for that price and they are guaranteed not to be replicas.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 02:38 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 02:45 PM »

He wasn't Matthew.  But he was still released in a very limited quantity on the standard (non-tri logo) POTF card.  Not sure exactly where though.  Maybe Dale can tell us.

As for the figure being complete, my Yak Face's gonna have to have the staff as well - no question.  But Jim's right, an easy (and often cheaper) addition if acquired seperately elsewhere.

Now if I could just find an affordable one to complete my loose collection, I'll be in good shape!   :-\

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2003, 02:50 PM »

He wasn't Matthew.  But he was still released in a very limited quantity on the standard (non-tri logo) POTF card.  Not sure exactly where though.  Maybe Dale can tell us.

Matt, according to the Irwin Toys SW book the POTF coined Canadian version was released in Australia and parts of Europe.
Shawn

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2003, 02:52 PM »
Hmm, a more interesting topic than I thought it would be.  $5 is about right ;D  I still can't believe I got there 5 minutes after they closed (Cincinnati) :'(

So Matt (anyone of you), define "affordable" :P

Offline E.Z.

• Jedi Initiate
  • Montreal, Quebec
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2003, 02:53 PM »
I got a C9.5 Yak with the staff for $95 and I thought that was a very fair price. I see them going for $75-$130 with or without the weapon all the time, condition is more the factor then the weapon I'd say.
Shawn

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 02:55 PM »
Matt, according to the Irwin Toys SW book the POTF coined Canadian version was released in Australia and parts of Europe.

That's what I figured.  Thanks for the confirmation Shawn.  Did those same two areas receive "regular" POTF figures throughout the POTF run as well, or was this Yak some kind of oddity there?  I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to the "foreign" stuff...