Author Topic: Cloth or Plastic?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Cloth or Plastic?
« on: December 2, 2003, 05:05 PM »
I hope that this doesn't become a heated debate or anything, and I'm sorry if this topic is repetitive.  After looking at the preview over at GH of the new Jedi Luke, it got me to thinking about what some of your opinions are on the plastic or cloth cape, cloak, etc. issue.  I guess I'm staying on both sides, because I don't have problems with either way I guess.  However, I think sometimes I seem to gravitate towards cloth a little (maybe because of nostalgia from the vintage line).  Although I admit that it doesn't always sit or "lay" correctly or realistically on the figure (even the Jedi Luke doesn't, or one that many people like...POTJ Lando...it doesn't necessarily look "realistic" but still good).  I guess I had the same problem with my vintage Jedi Luke, and it didn't bother me then.  I also like the use of cloth on the screen scenes Mace and Yarael, I think it looks fairly good, and allows them to sit.  I'm also one that is hoping if there is an Endor Han next year, his poncho is cloth like the vintage, as long as it looks decent.  I don't really have a problem with plastic capes, etc. either, until I recently received my Throne Room Duel Vader from Kebco.  I don't know about you guys, but this figure is next to impossible to stand, or put the helmet on the same time as the cape, etc.  I don't know if I have honestly ever been quite as frustrated with displaying a figure.  But, then I also picked up the Death Star Clash Vader (or whatever its called, the one from the MOTDS two pack that was recently re-released), and I think this Vader looks great, the cloth cape hangs nicely, etc.  Anyways, I can see both sides of it...but I was wondering what some of your opinions are.  Are you plastic all the way? cloth all the way? a little bit of both? or don't care? :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Cloth or Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2003, 06:48 PM »
Whatever makes the figure look good, and at the same time doesn't cut down on its articulation/pose-ability, I'm happy. I don't see how vintage figures can have awesome cloth (ie Bib Fortuna and Emperor's Guard), but the newer figures just don't seem to have the same quality as far as the fit and appearance.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2003, 10:54 AM »
I like it with a little cloth, such as the EP1 - Darth Maul (Sith Lord), Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Knight) etc.... I like those but when you have the cloth totally wrapped around the figure like the Jedi Luke, me no like!! But then again that is just my opinion. 8)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I actually really like cloth, as long as its done well. It doesn't restrict my figures from action poses or neutral poses, and also carries a bit of a nostalgic value.

That being said, there are some figures that look better with sculpted plastic. The senators, dignitaries, etc. are good examples. Soft goods should be reserved for figures that wear simple robes (jedi), so the cloth looks genuine. Also, figures that have alot of articulation and would be placed in action scenes should have soft goods.

I think that every Jedi Hasbro makes should have a cloth robe as a pack-in. They can take these lame stands and shove 'em. I want robes for my jedi.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2003, 11:57 AM »
That being said, there are some figures that look better with sculpted plastic. The senators, dignitaries, etc. are good examples. Soft goods should be reserved for figures that wear simple robes (jedi), so the cloth looks genuine. Also, figures that have alot of articulation and would be placed in action scenes should have soft goods.

I think that is an excellent point, and really how I feel about this too.  Figures like AOTC Palpatine, Bail, the removable head Tusken, etc., really look good with the sculpted plastic.  Other figures, such as the Jedi in specific, can really use cloth since it doesn't limit their posability.  If the figure is basically meant to stand straight up and down with its hands clasped in front of it...plastic is fine by me...if it is meant for multiple poses, cloth *might* be an option.  Excellent point LandotheScoundrel.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2003, 01:45 PM »
Good Points there guys, good job, let's hope Hasbro is reading our posts here! :D
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2003, 01:38 PM »
I'm a pro-cloth kinda guy in some instances...  Like, I think an Endor Han Solo SHOULD have a really well made coat.  I think there's a possible "medium" between good soft goods and plastic where it looks ok...  Perfect?  No, but ok enough to pass.

POTJ Lando for instance is one of these cases...  His coat's not better tha plastic really, but it's not bad and looks good on him I believe.

For viewing pleasure, check this out which I found through the X-Treme Detail website I visit often...

I'm not endorsing this guy's stuff, as I feel if you want custom things you should make them yourself, but his work's downright amazing for the soft-goods argument.

http://www.geocities.com/robopredator/coats1.html

That's some really neat looking soft-goods there if you ask me...  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2003, 10:54 PM »
Hmmm, and now the picture isn't working?  Weird...  Check the link though, you'll be glad you did, especially if you dig softgoods coats.

Hell, the guy even made a World War 2 bomber jacket that looks really REALLY good on the figure.  I'm impressed.  That's some intricate sewing work there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2003, 11:24 PM »
personally, i like this one:

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2003, 07:22 PM »
In a perfect world, I'd say cloth.  But unfortunately Hasbro ain't livin' an a "perfect world" scenario thus far...  If they could find a type of cloth fabric that actually hangs/drapes believably on a figure, I'd be all for it.  But that doesn't seem to be possible with this scale line and/or at this pricepoint.  The cloth capes and such that have been used have for the most part been too stiff and "bunchy" looking.  There's a few exceptions here and there of course, like the POTJ Lando.

But until they find a better cloth, I'm going to be a fan of the plastic versions myself, unless it's on a figure that just won't fit into a vehicle otherwise, but should.  Even the new Jedi Luke that's coming doesn't look so hot IMO with that cloth cape and hood it's got...   :-\