Author Topic: Are You a Star Wars Packrat?  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Are You a Star Wars Packrat?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Drudging up an older thread....has anyone been clearing out anything lately (toys, boxes, cardbacks, plastic, etc.)?  I did some of the purging (listed earlier in this thread) prior to our move across state last year, but things are getting pretty packed again.  Basically, the Mrs. likes me to keep all of my "Star Wars stuff" in our office/collection room, so underneath some shelves in a closet, I have two large rubbermaid totes.  Both are pretty well full, and I'd estimate at least half of that space is taken up by cardbacks and the like.  I also have the vehicle boxes flattened and placed behind one of the totes against the wall.  I know I'll always want to keep some of the cardbacks, but its becoming increasingly obvious I need to clean some stuff out (as I look at an empty "Darth Tater" box sitting in the closet as well).  I only keep cardbacks that are different from each other (character specific), and I don't keep duplicates.  I'd like to continue to keep most of them, but I really don't like things to start to look "messy" or cluttered, and its going to head that way before too long.  Even worse, my habit of keeping Star Wars cardbacks has seemed to transfer over to any other collectibles I buy.  Has anyone else purged the cardboard mountain, or even some of your collectibles that you don't really "need"?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Last winter I threw all of the cardboard away.  Every single piece of it.  I've been slowly whittling down everything that is deemed to be "crap" (my wife's term not mine) and that definitely fell within that range

The worst problem I have right now is I have two large Plano boxes chock full of weapons and accessories that I have no idea goes to what figures any more.  Since Hasbro/Kenner was keen on equipping every figure with guns out the wazoo or little gadgets everywhere that really weren't in the movies I've just lumped everything together.  It will take me months to try and sort all of that stuff out.  Eventually I want to try and sell any "custom fodder" I have which is probably 200 loose figures I'd say...its going to suck :-[

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Here's the kicker for me, I collect both loose and carded and have not thrown any packages away since before '95. I'm just like mosnab as well in that I hate waste and unnessesary items taking up space, but SW is the exception to that rule. I know psycologically, it goes back to when I was 7 and tried to keep all of my original vintage packaging like the Deathstar playset and the MF, but my parents wouldn't have it and threw the boxes away.

Just yesterday I was re-arranging stuff in my garrage and found an area in the rafters to store the empty boxes (neatly packed in larger cardboard boxes,) but one of these days I think I'm going to get rid of it all.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005, 11:23 AM »
I know psycologically, it goes back to when I was 7 and tried to keep all of my original vintage packaging like the Deathstar playset and the MF, but my parents wouldn't have it and threw the boxes away.

I think that possibly might be the same with me.  When I was a kid, I actually kept all my figure cardbacks in a shoebox, just to look at the backs of them with their big "checklists" and pics of all the other figures (I did the same with GI Joe).  Somewhere through the years, those got thrown out by my parents as well, so that might be part of the attachment I have to keeping them.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2005, 01:52 PM »
The worst problem I have right now is I have two large Plano boxes chock full of weapons and accessories that I have no idea goes to what figures any more. 

If you want, you can borrow my copy of:

That should help you with at least 95-98.

Or maybe we can have a MN Club "accessory matching" party?   :P

As for my own "pack-rat" issues, I started chucking last year and I couldn't be happier.  Sure, I've got a giant stack of RotS cardbacks, but as soon as the 2006 stuff comes out, I'll chuck them.

I don't keep any bubbles or any boxes anymore.  I've never found a use for them.  If I sell something loose, it sells just as well without the box I've found so I've just made it a point to chuck stuff ASAP.

On a related note, just an FYI but most city recycling programs will take the plastic bubbles.  Just stick them in with which ever bin you put your plastic pop/milk bottles and you are good to go - a lot nicer than just throwing them away!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I'm in the process of recycling all my old boxes now.  Once an item gets displayed, the box gets broken down and tied up for recycling.  I don't need any of that **** anymore.

I do keep the cardbacks though. 

And that book that Jeff posted needs a serious update.  Hopefully one is coming soon.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2005, 03:11 PM »

And that book that Jeff posted needs a serious update.  Hopefully one is coming soon.

Mike, I forget the name of the book but a decent book was released somewhat recently which went from Vintage '78 up to the ROTS Preview cards.  Cant remember the name.  And if you try to look it up on Amazon good luck.  There are thousands of SW books available.