Author Topic: A Christmas Story  (Read 9619 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
A Christmas Story
« on: December 24, 2003, 12:06 AM »
This movie deserves its own thread, me and Mrs OCB watched this tonight and I can't help but notice how absolutely perfect this movie is on all levels

I'm sure TBS will be running its marathon again this year...have a laugh or two.  A true Christmas Classic

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: A Christmas Story
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 02:18 AM »
Man, what a coincidence. I watched it tonight too! Definately one of the best Christmas movies ever made.

And I though TNT did the 24 hour marathon? ??? Oh well, I'm sure at least one of the Turner stations will be showing it this year. You should watch it at least once!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Got it on DVD, watched it at least 3 x this season.  Love that movie!

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

Scott :D
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 01:36 PM »
Yep it would not be X-Mas without at least 1 viewing of this fine film.  

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 04:11 PM »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 06:06 PM »
The marathon is on TNT right now! ;D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 06:41 PM »
Just as no Christmas could be complete without a viewing of A Christmas Story, no Christmas Story thread could be complete without this:

And, of course, the warm glow of electric sex:

A Google search for "leg lamp" eventually led me to this site:

A Christmas Story: 20th Anniversary: 1983-2003

Looks like a one-stop shop for all of your Christmas Story needs. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 11:48 PM »
My entire family loves this movie.  We seem to watch it every year on Christmas Eve.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: April 4, 2007, 05:02 PM »
I'm sorry to have to report this sad news:

Director of 'A Christmas Story,' son killed in PCH crash

By Andrew Blankstein and Daryl Strickland
Times Staff Writers
Published April 4, 2007, 3:38 PM CDT

Film director Bob Clark and his son Ariel were killed in an early morning collision along a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway in Pacific Palisades, authorities said.

Clark directed the classic holiday film "A Christmas Story" in 1983 and was the producer of the "Porky's" films, along with about two dozen other features.

The crash was reported about 2:20 a.m. on PCH just south of Bay Club Drive. Police said Clark, 67, of Pacific Palisades, and his son, who was 22 and lived in Santa Monica, were pronounced dead at the scene.

LAPD investigators said Clark was driving a 1997 Infiniti Q-30 sedan southbound on PCH when the driver of a GMC Yukon, Hector Velazquez-Nava, 24, of Los Angeles swerved and hit the Clark vehicle head-on.

The road was closed until about 10:40 while authorities investigated.

Nava and a 29-year-old Azusa woman were transported to a local hospital, where they were treated for minor injuries, said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon.

Nava was found to be driving under the influence of alcohol and operating a motor vehicle without a driver's license. After treatment, he was booked on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and gross vehicular manslaughter, Vernon said.

Clark produced, directed and co-wrote "A Christmas Story."

Set in the 1940s and adapted from humorist Jean Shepherd's novel "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash," "A Christmas Story" stars Peter Billingsly as Ralphie, a young boy determined to get a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas.

The film was not an immediate box office bonanza, but it has grown in popularity over the years.

In a 1997 interview with The Times, Clark said the movie has struck a chord with audiences because it deals with a "special time and special feeling. Shepherd's material had the truth and heart in it."

The "Porky's" franchise was also a surprise hit and took years to get off the ground. At first, Hollywood studios rejected the pitches for the film. The franchise went on to earn more than $150 million domestically, according to boxofficemojo.com

The films were based on Clark's experiences during the '50s a with his high school buddies in Florida.

In a 1985 interview with The Times, co-writer Roger Swaybill talked about how Clark dictated the outline for the movie into a cassette recorder while sick.

"I was weeping with laughter," Swaybill said then. "I became convinced that I was sharing in the birth of a major moment in movie history. It was the funniest film story I had ever heard."

We lost Darren "The Old Man" McGavin last year, and now Bob Clark this year.

Look out, Billingsley.

Hope the drunk-driving murderer gets a swift kick in the balls, every hour, on the hour, every day, for the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2007, 05:03 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 4, 2007, 08:20 PM »

Somehow...this seems like an apt response

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2007, 06:52 AM »
Man, that really sucks. Here's to hoping for some serious jail time and some serious ass raping for that doochebag...
« Last Edit: April 5, 2007, 06:53 AM by Madcow »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2007, 09:24 AM »
RIP.  Hopefully the DA will raise the charges to murder and just not manslaughter for the idiot who caused this

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2007, 03:14 PM »
The drunk bass-turd who did that to the director of one of the funnier films (that was meant to be funny) ever made deserves a good ass-whoopin'. RIP Bob Clark.  :(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Watched Ralphie for the first time this year...Doppleganger Sassafrass!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I haven't seen this in a long time, but we're doing a gift exchange with the wife's extended family, so I picked up ACS and Gran Torino on DVD for him.  I'll have to try to catch the movie sometime over the break - it's still one of my holiday favorites.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today