Author Topic: Sick of scalpers  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Sick of scalpers
« on: January 1, 2004, 09:05 PM »
I am seriously tired of people going on Star Wars and other toy boards and blatantly scalping stuff.  There are people on other boards that are asking double + for current figures.  They rationalize that it's to help pay for their gas.  Well sorry, but some of those prices pay for the gas, lunch, breakfast, dinner and a couple of movies in addition to their kids college tuition.  

Now, I get an email back from a guy who posted about a 12" figure I've been looking for.  No responses to his thread, I email the guy this afternoon and he sends back a message indicating that someone else is interested in it and hints strongly that it will go to whoever pays more for it.  In my email I offered his asking price.  Basically he wants a bidding war for his stuff.  There's a perfectly legitimate place for that, it's called ebay.  

Sorry for bitching but I've just had it with guys who think they're doing me and others a favor by grossly overcharging for toys.  And no, it was no one from this board.  Frosts my..... >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
Re: Sick of scalpers
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2004, 12:17 PM »
Amen brother!!  Crap like this is partly the reason I have stopped adding to my collection for a while.

We all know there is nothing up here new, and I think some people take advantage of this when dealing with us Canucks!

There was a time when Walmart dropped the Cantina sets to $2 on clearance up here and one guy on RS posts a wanted add that says he wanted some but knew that they were going for $2 up here and not expect much in return for them!

That really ticked me off.  This wasn't to buy them either.. it was a trade!  So he was offering crap in return because he knew they were only $2, but he would have to pay $8 there!

/end rant

I am glad though people like that have been so far outweighed by the amount of generous people I have come across here and other boards.

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2004, 12:39 PM »
I've only really had business with the people I feel really comfortable with trusting. I can't remember everyone, but some of JD staff, ReconSgt, JoshEEE, Obi 1, etc., basically all of them are fellow collectors who are both trading/buying/selling, and not just trying to sell as if it were their only source of income.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Man, I grew out of my "scalpers suck!" phase four, five years ago.

Sure, they still suck, but I don't see much sense in getting upset about them.  Seems almost counter-productive.  They'll always be there, and there's not really anything you can do about them, other than just not buy from them.

I mean, if that's what they want to do with their life, then ultimately, that's their business.  It's not the way that I would choose to do things.

Not that I've ever really bought or traded very much stuff online, but it's pretty easy to skip over and ignore the scalping stuff.  There are plenty of people at this and other boards who aren't scalpers, who always sell and/or trade at cost-plus-shipping.

Maybe I'm a little jaded or something; maybe things are different in Canada.  I've always felt that we've had it pretty easy here in the U.S. when it comes to collecting, and I might not realize what a pain-in-the-ass it might be for Star Wars fans who don't live here.

I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2004, 06:35 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Tho, true scalpers suck.  Alot of people are named scalpers when they are not.  I do agree that if your selling or trading on the message board,  don't try and get a bidding war going because it does not belong...  take it to E-bay.  I do E-bay as well as trade,  alot of it is done to help my own collection.  Hehe, please keep our message boards clean of bid wars.  Not needed, or wanted.  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2004, 06:58 PM »
It has everything to do with it Cory.  Canada sucks, plain and simple.  And not all of us live within a short 30-60 minute drive to US stores.  Closest ones to me are 2.5 hours, if I want to hit a TRU it's 4 hours.  One way.  

A couple of examples.  The only unleashed that have been up here are Maul, Jango, Padme, Vader (1st), Anakin and recently the Boba wave.  But it arrived some two months after I received my pieces from Newforce, which was about 6 weeks after guys like OCB received theirs.  It's too big a gamble to wait on stuff.  

As far as single carded figures go I live in a city of ~700,000 people.  We have two TRUs.  At any given time they will get in all of one case of figures (12 pieces).  If you aren't at the store at exactly the right time, you won't find anything.  From Saga, we crapped out after Palpatine and saw nothing new until the Carkoon Fett wave, which about 4-6 cases have shown up thus far and all dissappear the same day.  Walmart is no longer carrying SW product.  We have no Target.  Zellers, which approximates K-mart is sporadic.  The last wave they brought in prior to this winter was the Bespin Luke wave last summer.  Just prior to Christmas one of the six stores in the city brought in one case of figures, clone wars basic figures.  One case!  Nothing at the other stores, including the one I live a 3 minute walk away from and check 7 days a week.  At none of our retailers did we see stuff between Palpatine and Fett.  That's more than a few figures.  

You are right though, ignoring them is the best way.  The problem is that I think of Star Wars people based on what I see on this site.  Yourself, Scott, Jim, Matt and som many more people I'll neglect to mention have been super cool and helpful that I've really not had a hard time and where and when I can I try and return the favor.  There just aren't that many opportunities.  I just get irritated with people that are smug charging what amounts to a whole lot of cash over the regular costs.  If I drive down, I'm going anyway, so I really don't expect people to pay for my gas for the journey.  Say I buy a deluxe figure at $10 at Walmart.  I bring it back and have to pay the taxes to get it back in Canada, that's about $1.00 Cdn and the exchange cost on that $10 figure is $12.50 Cdn.  So reasonably I could charge $13.50-14 for the figure right?  Why then do people feel justified charging $20+. I get it when retailers do it, they have retail costs associated but private collectors? Nope.

Ultimately, who cares.  I was in a crappy mood when I started this thread and felt a need to vent.  Nothing more.  

Spooky, I remember that thread about the Cantina sets.  Pretty funny as I sure don't remember lots of folks (or that guy in particular) happily offering Canucks commtech Stormtroopers for $2 each.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #6 on: January 2, 2004, 07:01 PM »
It has everything to do with it Cory.

No you di'n't.  Oh no you di'n't.  
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2004, 09:42 PM »
Just wanted to interject; I sold 15 Target clearanced 3 3/4's figs over the past 2 days, at cost, for $2.38.

I'm keepin' it REH'L!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2004, 01:37 AM »
It has everything to do with it Cory.

No you di'n't.  Oh no you di'n't.  
Ouch, that was like the time I got called Old Corky...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 3, 2004, 01:40 AM »
that made me laugh,congradulations
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #10 on: January 3, 2004, 06:40 AM »
Yes people who scalp is bad. M'Kay.

That is their way to help both themself and a person in need of an item. If people did not pay these people what they are asking there would not be any scalpers. The people who scalp know that they can get away with it. That is the sad part of the whole situation. You really have to blame both parties involved.

It is sad. :(
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 3, 2004, 01:17 PM »
I think that people jump on the phrase "scalping" too often, not every figure is worth a 1 on 1 trade. People also don't take into consideration about the lack of figures that are sold on shelves especialy here in Canada. I think that I have a high standard of trading ethic, and would never pull a fast one over on anybody. I count on people in the forum boards to complete their end of the trade, as I do. If I wanted to deal with scalpers I would just use ebay...