Author Topic: When animals attack...  (Read 3211 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
When animals attack...
« on: January 3, 2004, 02:50 PM »
I had the pleasure of finally becoming the recipient of my first real dog bite last weekend, when my friend's parent's rather small, but very viscious rat terrier bum rushed me and turned my wrist into his own personal chew toy.  No idea what provoked the attack, since the dog had just been let in to the house and made a b-line directly for me.  It was an older dog, and not just a playful puppy.  Saw his gnarling teeth bared in mid flight as he clamped down on my wrist.

Gave me some puncture wounds and drew some blood, but all in all, it wasn't too bad.  Could've been much worse since he just barely missed the large vein in my wrist.  After finally letting go of my wrist (from which he was briefly hanging in midair), he chased me for some further snacking, but fortunately, my buddy grabbed him from behind to halt any further mauling...   :P

Fortunately the dog had it's shots already, and we got the wound cleaned up pretty quick, so I haven't had any ill effects from the episode.    Pretty weird though, just being bitten by a dog after all these years.  What ever happened to "Man's best friend?"  A couple of forum members just missed witnessing the attack by about 1 minute too, since they had just left.  Too bad for you Jamie!   ;)

The only other bite I've ever had from a pet, or wild animal, was from one of our pet hamsters when I was a kid.  Never attempt to play with a Mommy hamster's little babies...   ::)

So, who else has been munched on by a household pet, or wild animal?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: When animals attack...
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2004, 04:09 PM »
Me,my Italian Greyhound has fits of anger when he thinks you're picking him up during his slumber in the late hours of 12 PM and 1PM ::)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2004, 06:36 PM »
My parakeet doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart... but the cat won't hesitate to slash my face off.

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2004, 08:13 PM »
Our new kitten has been biting and scratching the crap out of everyone in my family. Most of my injuries are small puncture and near-puncture wounds, and I've recieved many a scratch. Unfortunately for my brother, he got a huge gash down his middle finger.

Moral: Kitties have sharp...well, everything. :P

My dog Max has never given me any serious bites. I've had a few near-bleeding encounters, but he's more or less a gentle little guy. :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2004, 09:25 PM »
I got bit by a snake in 7th grade science class while I was cleaning the cage and getting ready to feed the damned think. I think it wanted the mouse that I was clutching in my hand, and *thap* mouth out and it got my index finger. I had to wash it, go to the nurse, and all that.

Fun fun.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Do bugs count?  I consider them my "friends" usually.  

Can't count the number of times I've been stung but I do remember one time in particular.  Was out collecting bugs with a buddy (yes, for real) and I was wearing my old Oakley sunglasses with the orange tinted lenses.  Well for whatever reason, those lenses set off a wasp and it made a bee-line, ahem, for the glasses, got underneath and stung me three times in less than a second right in the corner of the eye.  You can only imagine the words coming out of my mouth.  My whole eye was swollen shut within about 3 minutes.  

Quite a treat.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2004, 12:40 PM »
I have never been bitten by a animal except for one of my hamsters I think.  I came close to been attack by a bear in the mountians on a fishing trip with my father and brother in law.  I was in a tent with my brother in law when I felt something on the outside of the tent and heard an animal.  I started to push what ever this thing was because I thought it was a wild pig or my brother in law but I turned around and he was in his sleeping bag.   In the morning we looked aroubd and saw paw prints from a baby bear.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2004, 02:47 PM »
If you walked past the dining room table when I was growing up, you took your life in your own hands.  Mittens (all 22 pounds of her) was considered the "hateful" cat out of the litter when my mom bought her home...and she lived up to her initial billing.  I can't count how many times she would attack your feet, legs, etc...if you walked by the table and she was underneath.  And, you really couldn't afford to NOT walk by it as the dining room was between the kitchen and living room.  
She never attacked my Dad though (which was good) but left the rest of us with small scars on our ankles from puncture wounds I thought for sure I would bleed to death from.
I have no idea why I am a cat lover since Mittens was my first cat, but I am.  She chilled out in her old age and became very cuddly and sweet so maybe that's why.

That is my only animal attack and not nearly as bad as yours Matt.
Beth

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2004, 06:25 PM »
My parents' cat, Holly, strikes fear into my younger cousins, who are like eight years old. The cat is edging fourteen now, and she's mean to everyone except the people who live in the house or who lived there at one time. She attacks humans, dogs, and anything else she doesn't like. She isn't afraid of anything. My dog's petrified eveytime he sees her, and the dog is seven times her size.

Just thought I'd share that with ya. :-*
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2004, 06:26 PM »
I CANNOT believe I missed that!! I bet the rat dog got upset that I left without saying goodbye and decided to take out his misplaced aggressions on you.

Sorry to hear that Matt, I might have insisted the dog be put down  ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2004, 06:37 PM »
the only animal attack i've ever been victim to was a friend's cat. he was having a party, and there were a lot of people there. i guess he got a little spooked, and was hiding under the table. well, i figured i would be a nice guy, pick him up, and bring him upstairs, since i was probably the one person outside of my buddy and his wife who the cat was really familiar with. but, when i reached under the table to grab that damn cat, he bit me - hard - on the palm of my left hand. luckily, he is declawed as well, because he has a tendency to "box" with people, and he can hit pretty hard as well... and he must have gotten a good 5 or 6 punches off before i pulled my hands out from under there. quick little bastard. but he did draw some blood, almost thought i would need stiches (my buddy's wife is a nurse and she wanted me to go to the hospital to get it checked out, but i didin't want to go). but i'm still alive today...  ;)

Offline Obi-Juan

• Youngling
  • Don't make me Pimp Smack you Vader!!!
    • View Profile
When animals attack...
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2004, 02:02 AM »
I was bitten by a dog once when I was a little kid.  If a dog tried that sh** with me now, I'd choke it to death.   >:(
Pimp-Jedi.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2004, 02:22 AM »
I CANNOT believe I missed that!! I bet the rat dog got upset that I left without saying goodbye and decided to take out his misplaced aggressions on you.

Sorry to hear that Matt, I might have insisted the dog be put down  ;D

Yep, as soon as you, your lady, and Jason left, Jobe walked right over to the sliding door and let the dogs in, and BAM!  Instant mauling.  I'm sure "Ralph" confused me for you Jamie, and that's why he tried to kick my ass...  Either that, or it confused me with that damned Jar Jar cardboard standup of Jobe's!  (sorry Jobe!  ;))

I told Jobe tonight that my hand got infected and had to be amputated, but if he'd send me his carded 12-backs and 21-back Fett, along with his other dog - that awesome Golden Retriever puppy, that we could just call it even.  I think my hand for those items is a pretty fair trade.  We'll see what he has to say...

Last time I go over to Jobe's to play...   :P

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2004, 02:08 PM »
My parent's cat was a real problem.  I am pretty sure she was pure un-adulterated evil wrapped in fur!

She would sit on a couch and take a swipe at anyone walking by.  When I would house sit at my parents, I would have to use a hockey stick to prod her into the basement for the night, she even ripped apart one blade pretty good.

We would always tell strangers not to go near her, but there was always one who wouldn't listen.  

Us "Please don't go near the cat, she is dangerous"

Furnace guy "It's just a cat"

Us "Consider yourself warned"

Furnace guy "ARGHHHHHHHHH my hand!"

When my parnets house caught fire, the cat survived!  I said, I told you so, you can't kill evil with fire!

She is NOT missed by anyone but my stepdad who was the only person whe would let near her!

The only other time was I was bitten by my own cat!  I had him at the vet for vaccinations, and he bit me.

The vet was pretty insistant I go see a doc. as you can get something called "Cat Scratch Fever" by cat bites.  It was late but I walked into one of those after hours clinics about 45 min. before it closed.

It was empty except for the doc. and receptionist who were just sitting chatting.  She has the nerve to say she won't see me!

Why?  Well we are closing  Yeah, in 45 min.  Well I took my last patient for the day.

I freak out, and ramble off something about treating the sick, and oaths and such, and she relents...  finally.

I go to the pharmacy for my prescription .. $78 (thank god for my excellent drug plan) and the pharmasist is going on and on about the danger of a cat bite.

Well to cut it short (too late right :-) by the next day I am freaking because on the bottom of my arm all the way from the bite is two red lines getting longer and longer by the hour.

Back to another clinic.. doc says well the anti-biotics should be working soon, but if it gets close to the end of your arm (going for the heart) go the hospital immediately!

Shortly after it stopped and the lines fadded away!

Scott
« Last Edit: January 6, 2004, 02:20 PM by sp00ky »
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2004, 05:20 PM »
A bee stung me once, emerging angrily from the most sacreligious of hiding spots....my 64 ounce Slurpee straw.  I sucked the critter right into my mouth and it kept biting and stinging the inside of my lip.   And it hurt.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda