Community > Conventions

Wizard World 2004

<< < (3/3)

Morgbug:
Well I don't live anywhere near where a wizard world event ever occurs, but I do have an opinion on what I would do with the opportunity.  

Truthfully, my attendance would be based on other events at the Wizard World show.  But my first priority would have been to get the bust.  That said, if the show was weak (IMO) and my only reason for attending was to get the bust, then likely my answer now would be 'no'.  

As I understand it they mishandled the blue clonetrooper bust prior to the pilot bust.  Not only did they screw up, but they seem reluctant to listen to the fans.

While I thoroughly enjoy selling stuff on ebay and making money, that's not what these things are made for.  They should be ending up in the hands of the collector for the price they are charging.  It is generous to offer two per person to allow other collectors to help each other out, but pretty clearly they need to institute some sort of draconian policy whereby only one per person or organization is allowed.  Allowing local display booth staff to gather them is ridiculous.  90+% of these are destined solely for ebay.  That will drive away more collectors than anything else.  

Only my opinion though.

JediMAC:
Well, I actually went to WWLA, and from a Star Wars standpoint, the convention totally sucked.   :-\  The Pilot bust was another fiasco, with them giving out 2 per person to EVERYONE on Friday's preview night, leaving a very small handful of them for the first 10 minutes of the show on Saturday morning, which of course caused my ass to miss out on them, like everyone else who couldn't make it to Preview Night.

But if you're a fan of comics in general (and the movies therefrom), then the show's probably still worth the trip.  But the Star Wars stuff was few and far between.  Only a couple dealers in the entire show had any SW items for sale, and of course they were marked up quite substantially.  Jared and I only spent 2-3 hours total in the show, so it was a pretty serious waste of time and money (other than a cool SW DVD we luckily stumbled across as we were leaving the show).

--- Quote from: Morgbug on March 21, 2004, 11:15 AM ---As I understand it they mishandled the blue clonetrooper bust prior to the pilot bust.  Not only did they screw up, but they seem reluctant to listen to the fans.
--- End quote ---

Well, Gentle Giant was solely to blame for the Blue Clone bust fiasco last year at Comic Con.  But this time around, GG actually gave their busts to Wizards to handle as they saw fit, and apparently gave them no guidelines or suggestions whatsoever, based on what they learned last year in San Diego.  So in that respect, I still hold GG partially responsible, but it's Wizards that is mostly to blame this time around.

But the bottom line is that the GG bust line, especially when it comes to their exclusives, is not a line that's tailored to it's respective fans and collectors.  It disgusts me that the GG exclusives do nothing but perpetuate and support the scalpers market, and it doesn't look like GG cares about that fact one little bit...   ::)  Thank God I don't collect this line.  A Star Wars licensee like this company will never earn my business.

Not to say that they're not great looking collectibles though.

Boba Binks:
I usually go to the one in Chicago. But I do not think I will be going this year. The only reason I would go is to get the Clone Pilot bust which I know will sell out before I could get there on the weekend. So unless plans change I do not think I will be attending.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version